Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: dog food for old dog
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> dog food for old dog

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
winnietrey

seattle

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/19 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What he seems to like, (15 year old lab mix) and will eat the whole bowl of wet dog food down, if it is topped with a raw egg. ( which he would not prior to this)

Yes, I read the pros and cons of the raw egg thing, but end of the day if it gets my old buddy to eat well, I will take the risk of salmonella.

What do you think Dr doug

romore

Okanagan valley British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/19 06:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mom fed our dog a raw egg with bread, lots of protein and he loved it. When he died at 14 his coat was still healthy. Go for it. Why would salmonella be a risk with fresh egg?

winnietrey

seattle

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/19 07:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

romore wrote:

Mom fed our dog a raw egg with bread, lots of protein and he loved it. When he died at 14 his coat was still healthy. Go for it. Why would salmonella be a risk with fresh egg?

Apparently, from my understanding raw eggs do, present a risk of salmonella. But on the other hand they seem to make his meals very appetizing to him. which was not happening before.

So dog that won't eat, VS one that will. I think I will take the risk

TexasShadow

Spring Branch, TX USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/19 07:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just cook an extra egg for our Lhasa who is past 13, now and beginning to slow down a bit. He loves a cooked egg. he eats his dry dog food, too, and cooked chicken and canned dog food.

TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

romore

Okanagan valley British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/19 07:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At 15 he should be able to have whatever he wants.

winnietrey

seattle

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/19 07:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

romore wrote:

At 15 he should be able to have whatever he wants.

Yep, I agree, I am down with that. Just don't tell him, or he will get all uppity and demanding

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/19 08:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A raw egg has minimal (actually probably no) risk to your pup.

Google the BARF raw food diet. My dogs have been on it for 3 years now, and are healthier in numerous ways.

They each get a raw egg every morning.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Pawz4me

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/19 04:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it's truly a case of an elderly or ill dog eating versus not eating, then I'd opt for eating every time. If he finds a lightly cooked (maybe poached?) egg just as appetizing then that's the safe thing to do, though. Beyond any risk of salmonella for the dog -- do think about the humans in the house. If anyone has serious health issues or is immuno compromised (including being treated/medicated for cancer or auto-immune illnesses) then there's perhaps more risk to the humans than to the dog.

Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

dturm

Lake County, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/19 05:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pawz4me wrote:

If it's truly a case of an elderly or ill dog eating versus not eating, then I'd opt for eating every time. If he finds a lightly cooked (maybe poached?) egg just as appetizing then that's the safe thing to do, though. Beyond any risk of salmonella for the dog -- do think about the humans in the house. If anyone has serious health issues or is immuno compromised (including being treated/medicated for cancer or auto-immune illnesses) then there's perhaps more risk to the humans than to the dog.

Listen to this.

Salmonella is a real risk to both dogs and people. Salmonella can be found both on the egg and within the egg itself. During development in the chicken a salmonella infected individual will contaminate all components from the actual egg to the shell.

If your egg supplier is reputable, well run, honest and always opts for public health rather than the bottom line, or the eggs are "pasturized" then you're risk is less.

The perceived benefits of raw vs cooked are not worth the risk IMO.
Feeding of an egg is a good plan, good protein and dogs love them.

Doug & Sandy
Kaylee (10 year old Terrier of some sort), Sasha 2 yr old Golden
Kaiya at the Rainbow Bridge
2008 Southwind
2009 Honda CRV

Check out blog.rv.net

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/19 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are lots of quality dog foods out now. We feed our dogs a lot of meat. As they age, their kidney and liver function often declines. That means you should feed less protein.

I had a stock dog that developed some problems at age 12. The vet had no advice. I read up on it and changed to some high quality dog food made for senior dogs. She lived another 3 years to 15.

My last Border Collie went backpacking with me at 16. The vet said she had bad liver function but gave no advice. I gave her the same supplements from a health food store that I would give to a human. Her diet was reduced to cottage cheese, canola oil, rice and few other things at the end, but she lived 2 years past what the vet gave her for life expectancy.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> dog food for old dog
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS