Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: dog food for old dog
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> dog food for old dog

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/19 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our dogs eat raw eggs; the whole egg.
Our dogs eat hard boiled eggs.
Our BJ (diagnosed with multiple tumors in liver and pancreas) will some days only eat eggs; she prefers hard boiled. We feed her whatever she is willing to eat (kibble, canned dog food, canned cat food, eggs, etc).

DilanYah

London

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/19 04:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 9 y.o. Cocker Spaniel who is eating the Kirkland Adult Lamb/Rice right now. I was skirting https://goodpuppyfood.com/diets/best-dog-food-for-senior-dogs/https://goodpuppyfood.com/diets/best-dog-food-for-senior-dogs/ when I saw that Merrick Lil' Plates Senior Dog Food is rated quite a bit higher and has a better meat/grain balance (the lamb/rice is pretty grain heavy), but is technically a senior dog food. I wouldn't quite consider mine a senior yet - she has no issues getting around and has not slowed down at all, clean bill of health from the vet every year, etc.

ljr

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/19 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a senior with some health problems, and little appetite awhile back. I thought that dogs are so scent oriented perhaps a few seconds in the microwave might make wet food more appealing. It worked.

Larry

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/19 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reduce the protein for older dogs.
We have a 16 year old Corgie running around. Their average life expectancy is 12 years.

my440

Monashees British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/19 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put my Shitzus on a home made diet several months ago and so happy I did, both seniors. I have heard the dangers of salmonella so I scramble a couple of eggs and ad it to the mix every 4th day rather than raw. Chances of a dog getting salmonella likely pretty low though.

dturm

Lake County, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/19 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CDC Recent Pig's Ear Recall wrote:

Pets with Salmonella infections may be lethargic and have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever, and vomiting. Some pets will have only decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain. Infected but otherwise healthy pets can be carriers and infect other animals or humans. If your pet has consumed the recalled product and has these symptoms, please contact your veterinarian.

Dogs can and do get sick with Salmonella. You, your kids, other animals and friends are at risk also. Treating salmonella risk as a dog only issue is a little short sighted, IMO

Doug, DVM

Doug & Sandy
Kaylee (10 year old Terrier of some sort), Sasha 2 yr old Golden
Kaiya at the Rainbow Bridge
2008 Southwind
2009 Honda CRV

Check out blog.rv.net

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/19 04:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can’t see how the human health risks associated with feeding raw food to dogs is any different than the human health risks associated with handling raw meat and eggs in the kitchen while cooking. One just needs to pay attention and clean the surfaces exposed to the raw ingredients, be it in the kitchen or where the dog eats.

While we’re on the subject of risks associated with feeding raw eggs; don’t forget about the risks of eating raw cookie and cake batter.

* This post was edited 08/05/19 04:47pm by BCSnob *

dturm

Lake County, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/19 04:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BCSnob wrote:

I can’t see how the human health risks associated with feeding raw food to dogs is any different than the human health risks associated with handling raw meat and eggs in the kitchen while cooking. One just needs to pay attention and clean the surfaces exposed to the raw ingredients, be it in the kitchen or where the dog eats.

While we’re on the subject of risks associated with feeding raw eggs; don’t forget about the risks of eating raw cookie and cake batter.

Think about the surfaces contacted while your dog sleeps: floor, bed, couch, your lap. They lick themselves and us. We know the surfaces contacted during cooking and prep. Your whole environment may be contaminated by a dog carrier of Salmonella.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 05:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless your dog is 100% an inside dog it is already carrying lots of microbes; think about what dogs eat, lick, smell, walk on, lay on, etc .... Regardless of if we purposely feed them raw eggs or meat. A dog owners environment is already “contaminated”. The increased risk is more likely from the handling of pet food that now needs the extra precaution like handling raw ingredients in the kitchen; wash hands and bowls after feeding raw unlike when feeding kibble.

Lee is a greater health risk to me after unloading sheep from our stock trailer at the livestock auction (where all the other livestock were unloaded) then after eating raw eggs. What microbe filled areas have your dogs been in (dog park, animal trail in the woods, static water, under a picnic table used by many people, etc).

When we have fed raw meat, we fed it outside. Raw eggs are fed in crates. Direct exposure of raw feed to surfaces in the house is minimized.

* This post was last edited 08/06/19 05:41am by BCSnob *   View edit history

dturm

Lake County, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/19 06:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even dogs 100 percent inside carry microbes. Some are more virulent and dangerous than others. No argument here.

My point is that the risk is not ZERO, there is a real risk when Salmonella is introduced into the environment.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> dog food for old dog
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS