Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Need Help on how to get health insurance while traveling
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Need Help on how to get health insurance while traveling

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Optimistic Paranoid

East Nowhere NY

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/19 01:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll throw out one more idea that I've read about but have no personal experience with.

On the RV Dreams website,on a page devoted to RV Insurance: Understanding the Coverages

https://www.rv-dreams.com/rv-insurance-coverages.html

They talk about something called Medical Payments insurance. They say:

Medical Payments (aka MedPay)

This is an optional coverage* which pays for the costs of medical care
for you, your family, and any passengers resulting from a covered accident. It may be used regardless of fault.

This coverage is fairly inexpensive and may be a great supplement to
your health insurance especially if you have a high deductible health
insurance policy. If you have medical costs resulting from an accident, this coverage pays quickly and may save you paying for a high out-of-pocket deductible.

It may also be worthwhile if you have no health insurance. It's
certainly not a substitute for health insurance and only kicks in if you are injured in a covered accident, but it may be worth the premium.

* - Some states require insurers to include a minimum amount of this
coverage.

Rice

Wandering

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/19 11:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are two types of this kind of coverage in an auto insurance policy: medical payments (Med Pay) and personal injury protection (PIP). In some states, PIP coverage is mandatory, so people might already have it without realizing it. PIP covers more than Med Pay (e.g., lost wages), and is generally more expensive.

The details vary by state.

But your suggestion made me think about what I have. I know that I opted for Med Pay on my RV policy, but I'm not sure whether I have Med Pay or PIP on my toad's policy--they are with different companies, and I shop the RV policy heavily, while I've had my toad insured with the same company for years, so I haven't thought about the toad's insurance in a long time. I need to check into that.

lbrjet

Gold Canyon, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/19 06:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rice wrote:

Or another way to put it is that insurance was required, and if you didn't comply, you incurred a financial consequence if you got caught. Compare it with auto liability insurance--if you don't have it, you incur a financial consequence if you get caught. But you never hear people talking about how those without auto liability insurance are merely exercising their choice not to have it, and instead choosing to suffer a consequence.

And sure, you have to wait until open enrollment to get insurance once you're sick, but the ACA's disincentive to do so is no longer applicable, so those who want to gamble and wait until they're sick are better off than they were before.

Driving without liability insurance is against the law in most states. Declining health insurance is not against the law in any state that I'm aware of. The ACA enrollment numbers didn't change much when the penaly went away. There are more people working now than ever before, this has probably has had more of an effect on enrollment than the removal of the penalty.

2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

DianneOK

Donnelly, ID

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/19 11:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have cleaned this thread up. If there is anymore political bashing I will close it

Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Need Help on how to get health insurance while traveling
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS