cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mounting spare 19.5 Tire underneath

Sastma
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased 6 new 245/70/R19.5. Two of the tires being replaced are dated 2016 so I chose to keep one for a spare
I have plenty of room under the coach to install a bracket. Just wondering if anyone has done this or if there is a product out there for this purpose.
2010 Holiday Rambler Arista F53

9 REPLIES 9

dcbrewer
Explorer
Explorer
Johnny G1 wrote:
My Newmar has a spare mounted, just pull out the back bumper and lift it out, don't know why other's can't figure that out.

My 06 Pace Arrow has 22.5's, never came with a spare, but I took the back panel off above the hitch and a mounted spare slide in perfect between the frame rails. made a rack with two flat bars under it and put 4 big zip ties to keep it from moving. Remove 6 bolts, and cut the zip ties, and slide it out.

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a used 32' Class C. The previous owner (from new) had equipped it with a spare wheel. It was attached by a chain in the top of the propane tank compartment. It was cushioned so the tank wasn't at risk of damage. In four years and 6000 miles we never had to use it.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I have had 2 tire failures on a class A MH, both were on my 1987 Itasca and in both cases I was able to put on my spare with no problems (19.5 tires which were mounted like a "continental spare" on cars of the old days). My current MH with 19.5 tires carries a spare mounted under the coach ahead of the rear bumper. It hinges in the front and lets the tire swing down towards the rear. The tire is mounted and very heavy. At my age (74) I am not strong enough to lift it back up, I may have been able to do it 20 years ago but not now. I carry a jack that I hope will help get get it back up but also have Good Sam insurance which is supposed to change a tire. I would not feel safe without a spare tire!
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
As stated our Newmar has one but this one here will work also

http://www.tecaassembly.com/

Sastma
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your thoughts.
I've had two tire failures (Class C and Class A) in remote areas of the southwest where no tires would be found.
We are are family of 6 so hanging out for a few days for a fix is not the best option. With the A-class we had a tire only spare and RSA was able to mount and install and have us on our way. We only had to wait for 3 hours. He stated we would have been out of luck for another day if we didn't have the spare. It failed on HW89 between Page and Tuba City on a Sunday... cell service was marginal but we got through. Kids were made it to school on Monday. They weren't as happy. 🙂

Here is the kinda experience I'm asking for.
https://forums.motorhome.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28988329.cfm

If I put something together I can share if anyone is interested.

Thanks again, the insight I gain is great here.

P.S. yes two failures, two different coaches... I'm sure it's my erratic driving 😄

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
To each his own, I never understood carrying a spare MH tire in this day and age. Sure I've heard stories where RSA couldn't find a tire etc, but it's pretty rare. More rarer than actually needing a tire in the first place. Consider that a spare will age the same as any of your other tires and will need replacing just as frequently. Carrying an old tire as a spare for emergencies just means you'll have twice the work as you'll still need to mount a new tire when you get where you are going. Add the weight and that RSA will still need to come out and take the bad one off and mount the spare I am questioning the efficiency. Carrying a mounted spare will be pretty heavy and eat into your CCC, and then of course you still have the herniating task of changing it if you do it yourself. Been Rving for most of my life, owned MH's for the past 10 years and have yet to ever need a tire change on the road. Knock on wood and I know it happens but that's why I have coachnet and credit cards, check my tires regularly and have a TPMS. I am pretty certain the money and hassle I have saved is far more than what I am going to spend on a blowout and tire change on the road when or if it happens. I have to imagine the reasons I stated above are why new MH's in the past 10 years no longer have spares.

But to each his own and good luck if that's your agenda. I can certainly understand being more self sufficient.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
My Newmar has a spare mounted, just pull out the back bumper and lift it out, don't know why other's can't figure that out.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
just fun google spare tire carrier ,some body has this figured out.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you plan on carrying an un-mounted tire it might be a little difficult to put in to position, because of the weight. If you plan on carrying a mounted tire/wheel assembly, it will be about twice as heavy and even more difficult.
I do remember one of the vehicles that I had where you slid the tire in to position and then used a crank assembly to lift the tire in to position.