cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wisconsin to Maine Trip/Travel Questions

sprint99
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a trip from S.E. Wisconsin to Abbot, Maine this summer with our Class C and 29' enclosed UTV trailer. Will have two drivers splitting drive time and plan is to make sleep stops on route (truck stops, rest areas where able, etc.).

Trying to decide on which is our better route once we get to the I90/I80 split in Ohio. There really isn't that much difference time wise so the question would be which has less tolls, better road conditions, etc. On either choice, if you've done a similar route- what were good RV friendly fuel/eat/rest/sleep spots you remember?

Anyone who has made a trek east, I'd appreciate your thoughts, input and suggestions.

Thank You all in advance!
12 REPLIES 12

sprint99
Explorer
Explorer
Thank You all very much for the information! I'll continue to review this post as we get closer to our trip-- departing June 28th from S.E. Wisconsin.

All of the posts with route information have been a great help and I will plan accordingly. Pending weather (storms) will dictate a bit of our itinerary-- but the plan is to run 'er about 8-9 hours drive time a day (two drivers) and be at our destination mid to late afternoon on the 30th. We'll dial all that in as we get closer to the trip though.

We do have an I-Pass, knowing that it's a great time saver for us.

fwed
Explorer
Explorer
I'm partial to I-80. I found the NY Thruway boring as can be. More trucks, but I'd rather be with them than 4-wheelers -- more polite.

Watch out for Garmin or whatever trying to take you across the George Washington Bridge in NYC. Not fun. The Tappanzee Bridge is okay (except rush hour), but I prefer crossing to Connecticut further north in Newburgh, NY.

A transpass for the tolls is a good idea. It's called EZ-Pass now and will take you from Maine to Illinois on the west, and North Carolina in the south (except one bridge in Newport, RI). Saves oodles of time, especially in New Jersey where there are toll booths every few miles.

fred.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
sprint99 wrote:
Great information and replies so far. I appreciate it all! You all are awesome.

Any Rest Stops/Truck Stops/Travel Centers you prefer or stay away from? We'll probably stop at a few for a bit of sleep and of course some fueling up along the way.

Look for Pliot/Flying J in NE Ohio. If possible avoid getting fuel in PA ($$$$). Pilot's in NY are on ave about 40-50 cents more per gallon on diesel than if you know where the locals go. I know that doesn't help you much....LOL

But if you come across 17/86 to Binghamton to 81 N to 88 East, am not sure, but may be a diesel stop near the Salmanca Reservation on western end of 17/86. Otherwise, Smokies/TA at bottom of 390 where it meets up with 17/86. Hickory Run campground very close by here as well. Nice place.

On 88, Exit 12 (just before Oneonta) is a private truck stop, but many stop there and I think they have decent parking. Last exit on 88 just before getting onto 90 is a Pilot. Not a whole lotta room to park. IMO, you'd be better off doing 2 things if you can get past here. 1. Either stop at the Guilderland service plaza (McD's) on 90 for fuel and place to park (approx 6 miles once on 90 E). 2. Stop at Scotty's Truck stop on 87 (Northway), exit 16---36 miles north of Albany. Lots of parking, fuel prices probly between the Pilot and service plaza. Resturant on site too. After here, you have the 3 CG's mentioned on 149 but DrewE will have to chime in for fuel stops (assuming you have a diesel) once past Scotty's.

88 is 119 miles long w/ Oneonta being about 1/2 way between Bing and Albany. Albany to Lake George is about 50 miles. Really not too sure about CG's along 88.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest an I-Pass if do not already have one. Cheaper tolls and is good on the entire route to ME. No need to stop at toll booths.

I traveled I90 east to I95. Then I95 to ME. That was 12 years ago. I have no idea what the tolls are today. Back then I had a truck & TT.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't used them for an overnight, but some OH Turnpike rest areas have overnight RV spots including hookups. We use a couple Walmarts north of Binghamton, NY on I-88 to overnight. RVParky is our go-to app to find quick overnight stops. Once you are in VT/NH/ME except for Walmarts overnight stops are much more limited. One of the reasons we have moved away from I-90 across NY and MA (besides the $$$ tolls...) is the difficulty in finding overnight stops. ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

sprint99
Explorer
Explorer
Great information and replies so far. I appreciate it all! You all are awesome.

Any Rest Stops/Truck Stops/Travel Centers you prefer or stay away from? We'll probably stop at a few for a bit of sleep and of course some fueling up along the way.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
If you hear someone mention the "Southern Tier Expressway" that is what the I-88 & I-81 are called and not only is it bags less expensive that the NYTW, it is for my money much prettier ride.

Matt

Actually, the Southern Tier Expwy is Rtes 17/86, not 81/88. 88 is known as the the Warren Anderson hiway named after a local politician from the Binghamton area years ago as he wanted a hi speed mode of travel to Albany from Bing. by car.
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
If you hear someone mention the "Southern Tier Expressway" that is what the I-88 & I-81 are called and not only is it bags less expensive that the NYTW, it is for my money much prettier ride.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

David_and_Chris
Explorer
Explorer
I-88 is rough between Exits 19 & 20 in the right lane, the rest of I-88 has been repaved in the Western end and East & West after Exit 23. Left lane both directions always seem smoothest. Construction is at the Binghamton I-81 interchange.
David

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Brook BBQ chicken in Oneonta on 88 in NY is worth the stop. Closed on Monday.. DrewE's routes is what I'd do as well if you want to avoid tolls in NY. 88 is kinda rough in right lane for quite a ways. Nice drive w/ a couple good hills. 86 is pretty as well.
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"Catin' in the Winter"

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I probably would do I-90 to I-86 to I-88, and then NY7 to VT9 to NH9 to US202. (Around Albany, that involves taking I-90E to I-87N to get to NY7. The Thruway is free of charge for travel between I-88 and I-87.) This is basically loggenrock's route, except substituting I-90 / I-86 for I-80 / I-81.

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
We went to Michigan from NH last Fall. So...will try our route in reverse...90 to 80 across PA as 90 in NY is an expensive toll road. Then 81 north to 88 in Binghamton, NY up to Troy/Albany. We then use 7/9 across southern VT. We stay N on 9 up to Concord, NH, but at least this gives you an idea on an alternate route to the east. Hope it helps.
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's