cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Repairing the cargo door

Mote
Explorer
Explorer
Our Cougar has a large cargo door on the side for the pass thru storage like most 5th wheels. The one on the curb side has been had a bubble in it for a couple years. I took the door out yesterday and pulled the panel out of the frame. Looks like the fiberglass (I assume it is) skin has separated from the foam core. Not all of it separated but a 1/3 of it has. I pulled the rest of the panel off the foam board. Looks like water leaked in around the lock area.
Once I get things dried out and cleaned up I'm going to glue the panel back on. Does anyone have a glue they recommend ? I've emailed West Marine to get their ideas as I've used them before when I had to fix some delamination on a previous camper.
2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL
9 REPLIES 9

bingford
Explorer
Explorer
The people you need to talk with about repairing your delaminated door are
www.delamrepair.com
They know what you are talking about

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Find some construction adhesive that is safe for foam at your big box store. No all adhesives will work as many will dissolve the foam.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Mote
Explorer
Explorer
ksbowman wrote:
I have 2 new cargo doors w/ frames I ordered for my Keystone Outback just before we sold it. If you PM me I'll give you the dimensions of them if your interested. Never got to put them on.

Cool, I'll measure the door tonight after work and let you know.
2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have 2 new cargo doors w/ frames I ordered for my Keystone Outback just before we sold it. If you PM me I'll give you the dimensions of them if your interested. Never got to put them on.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Liquid Nails works fine on foam board as probably do any of the construction cements.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking contact cement but very unforgiving. Exterior flooring glue is my other thought. Trowel on and gives a little set time to get it lined up right.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
The consideration is the foam. What types of adhesive bond to it & don't react with it.

My first thought would be a contact cement, however offhand I don't know how that would react, if at all, with the foam. Need to read up on that one.

If West Marine comes back recommending 3M 5200, for Gods sake don't use it. That stuff is plain old nasty for a bunch of reasons. 3M 4200 is much more civilised & bonds well with most material.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
New baggage doors are readily available. The decals and paint schemes running across the doors not so much.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I have used PowerGrab by Loctite to bond hard foam board insulation to aluminum, with great results. I would think it would bond fiberglass and foam also.

Another option may be a new baggage door, if yours is not something unique. I'm sure a vendor could make one, custom fit, but likely more expensive.

Jerry