cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Snowbird Report Card

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Now that the season is over, how was it for you?

Colder than normal in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas. But still cheap. We rate the season by how many times we are forced inside for happy hour and this year we spent a lot of time inside. As a casual observer, every picture from Arizona showed my friends there wearing jackets.
26 REPLIES 26

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Spent 5 months in Crystal River, FL. This was our 6th year spending some months in Florida (2-5 months). I'd say that the weather was probably fairly typical. Never been there in November and it was quite nice. December wasn't bad, but slightly cooler. January was cooler for sure, but it's January, what do you expect. In fact, I golf in a league and we had some chilly mornings, but it usually warmed as the day went on. Late January was nice though. February & March were nice, usually 60s - 80s. Lots of Michiganders in our park as well as other Great Lakers and Canadians. We are accustomed to varying temps and conditions. We left our awning out nearly all winter.

We don't like it too warm, especially at night. Had to use our heaters more than previous years. The rain was a bit more early winter, especially December. Our golf course was actually closed for a few days in December due to water. I even had to use my ball retriever to recover my ball and it was in the fairway.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

vtchris
Explorer
Explorer
I spent the winter in Deming and Truth or Consequences NM. Elephant Butte, Rockhound and City of Rocks. Annual SP camping pass $225. Mostly used my solar, but it was an especially cold winter so got e/w sites for about 20% of the time ($4/day extra). Saw snow flurries, one night about an inch, but NO RAIN for the whole 5 months! One night 18 degrees, many nights in 30's. But warms right up with sunny days, which were every day.

vtchris
Explorer
Explorer
steveh27 wrote:
I am the reason for climate change. I spent 2 months in FLA, end of Jan to end of Mar. Last year Tampa area had the warmest Feb on record - I was there. This year the 2nd warmest, too hot. I move around and spent 31 days in free campgrounds that only had a vault toilet or portijohn. The problem was I was dependent on solar & did not bring my genny (Class B & not much storage) so could not run my AC. When it got too hot I did go to a paid camp for AC.

To the poster re John Prince in Lake Worth. I spent 2 nights there last year & would not want to go back. They really jam you in there & the bathroom was old, dirty & w/o screens. The free spots were inland rural areas and are limited in the number permitted in so we spread out.

I like your camping style...that is mine on years when I winter in Florida.

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
texanrvr wrote:
We spent our fourth season in this park in Mission Tx. and I must say that this year was cooler, as was last year. We have been full-timing for over ten years, with all of the winters being spent in the RGV. There seems to be less people here now but I have no official numbers to back this up.

One survey said we had about 140,000 Winter Texans in the Valley 10 years ago and about 100,000 now. The recent recession and loss of pensions for many really reduced the numbers. I retired at 53, many are now working into their 70's. Also some new retirees are taking short Winter trips to resort areas rather than staying in one place for the Winter.
pawatt

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
DW and I flew down to south Texas and rented a place for two months. From there we flew to Miami and hopped on a cruise ship. Sixteen days later got off in San Diego and flew home. In hindsight, should have rented a car an took a week or two to get back. Way too much snow to deal with, a little longer and the sun would have gotten a lot of it.

Cost about the same as six months of RVING (not including the depreciation of the RV.) Weather in TX was chilly, but in a S&B is more bearable then in a RV with 2 inch walls and R1 windows. Central and South America the weather was delightful, but poverty was rampant.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
I am the reason for climate change. I spent 2 months in FLA, end of Jan to end of Mar. Last year Tampa area had the warmest Feb on record - I was there. This year the 2nd warmest, too hot. I move around and spent 31 days in free campgrounds that only had a vault toilet or portijohn. The problem was I was dependent on solar & did not bring my genny (Class B & not much storage) so could not run my AC. When it got too hot I did go to a paid camp for AC.

To the poster re John Prince in Lake Worth. I spent 2 nights there last year & would not want to go back. They really jam you in there & the bathroom was old, dirty & w/o screens. The free spots were inland rural areas and are limited in the number permitted in so we spread out.

texanrvr
Explorer
Explorer
We spent our fourth season in this park in Mission Tx. and I must say that this year was cooler, as was last year. We have been full-timing for over ten years, with all of the winters being spent in the RGV. There seems to be less people here now but I have no official numbers to back this up.
Jay-Driver
Stella-Director of Operations and Navigator
Cassie-Schnauzer
'11 Heartland Landmark
2010 Dodge 3500 DRW
SLT

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
her&I wrote:
pawatt wrote:
16th Winter in the Rio Grande Valley, This was probably the second coolist year out of the past 16. We had a very light frost once but not enough to damage our tropical plants except for the banana trees that are very tender,
A good winter, we still love the Valley after 16 winters. Great friendly people both the locals and the Winter Texans. Great flea markets and very low cost of living. Tons of activities and Happy Hours. We are in South Palmview near Bentsen Rio Grande State Park and the World Birding Center. Lots of parks on Bentsen Palm Drive for every budget and we have room for youall, come on down.

Did you move from Green Gate?

We are still at Green Gate Grove. Our first 6 years were at Circle T.
pawatt

her_I
Explorer
Explorer
pawatt wrote:
16th Winter in the Rio Grande Valley, This was probably the second coolist year out of the past 16. We had a very light frost once but not enough to damage our tropical plants except for the banana trees that are very tender,
A good winter, we still love the Valley after 16 winters. Great friendly people both the locals and the Winter Texans. Great flea markets and very low cost of living. Tons of activities and Happy Hours. We are in South Palmview near Bentsen Rio Grande State Park and the World Birding Center. Lots of parks on Bentsen Palm Drive for every budget and we have room for youall, come on down.

Did you move from Green Gate?

Shot-N-Az
Explorer
Explorer
Most informative. Thank you!

NoVa_RT
Explorer
Explorer
Would you mind saying where you stayed? The Nats are my team and Iโ€™d like to do that next year

John Prince Park. Itโ€™s a County Park in southern West Palm Beach. The Ballpark at the Palm Beaches is in the northern part, so itโ€™s about a 35-40 min drive on city streets, and potentially a bit quicker via I-95, which I usually avoid. Itโ€™s a large park with over 300 sites, with lots of snowbirds there for extended stays. The lakefront sites have a 14 day limit, so I reserve early as soon the 90-day window opens. The interior sites that allow longer stays start to open up in early & mid-March as the snowbirds head home. Those sites arenโ€™t quite as nice - more packed together - but not bad once the park starts to empty out, and I was able to get a campsite with no trouble after I used up my 14-days lakefront.

Itโ€™s not a resort by any means, just a well-run county park, but it was easily the best value I found in the area. I believe I paid about $30 per day, including all the taxes.

Hereโ€™s the John Prince Park website, as well as its listing at RV Campground Reviews. I recommend both the campground and ballpark. Hope you get to make the trip.

EDIT: One complication I forgot. Due to some problems with the electrical system, many of the lakefront water & electric sites were limited to 20 foot RVs this year. Iโ€™m in a Class B, so I wasnโ€™t affected. Donโ€™t know if they are going to address the electrical system before next year, but they do have some full hookup lakefront sites that werenโ€™t subject to the 20 foot limit. Better check with the park as to what is available and then make a reservation as soon as the reservation window opens.
2013 RT 190-Popular

Shot-N-Az
Explorer
Explorer
NoVa RT wrote:
Might not qualify as a Snowbird, but I did spend almost all of March in West Palm Beach, FL for the Washington Nationals Spring Training. Only needed to use the heat pump or furnace on 2 nights, and daytime highs were mostly 75-85ยฐ, with no games rained out! Canโ€™t complain a bit.

Would you mind saying where you stayed? The Nats are my team and Iโ€™d like to do that next year. Weโ€™ve been in Phoenix the past three and Iโ€™m done with Cactus League for awhile.

NoVa_RT
Explorer
Explorer
Might not qualify as a Snowbird, but I did spend almost all of March in West Palm Beach, FL for the Washington Nationals Spring Training. Only needed to use the heat pump or furnace on 2 nights, and daytime highs were mostly 75-85ยฐ, with no games rained out! Canโ€™t complain a bit.
2013 RT 190-Popular

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
Donโ€™t worry, youโ€™re going to see lots of heat comesummer. More moisture in atmosphere means more extremes.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog