cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hitches-Equal-i-zer; Reese DC; Blue Ox-Diffs/Similarities?

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I have reviewed these WD hitches and had a few questions to be sure I am correct in my thinking.

My TW is 1450# (dry). It is a Toyhauler so the 1450# is max and will be reduced when weight is added to rear of trailer axles. I will not added quads/motorcycles....but will carry bicycles, firewood, ice chests, etc. I have plenty of truck (F-350).

I believe all of these hitches do a great job at distributing weight and controlling sway. I understand there are differences and some have their preferences, as well as pros/cons.

I know some carry the bars low and this can be a concern.
Some

With that said:

1. Reese DC: This system requires drilling into trailer A frame. Are there optional frame brackets where drilling into frame is not required (ex. clamp/bolt-on)? I could not find this option anywhere; I assume it is not an option. Is it? This system does allow for head angle adjustment. (NOTE: Systems available for 1500# TW and 1700#TW).

2. Blue ox: How does chain, moving freely side to side as well as up and down, control sway and distribute weight with all of this chain movement? It seems that that rigid bars of the Equal-i-zer hitch solves this, correct? (NOTE: Systems available for 1500# TW or 2000# TW). Head unit has a fixed angle...how does it not need to be adjusted....isn't angle adjustment needed to add/reduce load on bars and distribute weight?

3. Equal-i-zer....This is what I have experience with on two different trailers. The hitch head has the ability to adjust its angle to add/reduce load on bars and distribute weight. It's noisy but with plastic pads noise has been reduced. Since my TW is at 1450# and Equal-i-zer system has a max rating of 1400#, should this be removed from my options? If so, why? Is 50# over a safety issue?

Thanks!
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
12 REPLIES 12

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Guys,
OP has already made his decision and has purchased a hitch. He now has new questions. No need to debate or push other hitches now. ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Baja Man wrote:
1. How can I determine if less links are needed...since my TW is at 1450# or slightly higher after I add some front storage weight?

2. I did have to jack up the truck/trailer pretty high (with tongue jack) to be able to crank on handle (rotating latches) and lock chains in place at 9 links. Is this normal?

1a. The rule of thumb is, measure from the road to the bottom of the front wheel well while the trailer is not touching the tow vehicle in any way. Write down that number. Hook the trailer onto the ball and raise the tongue jack so the tow vehicle is holding the full tongue weight. Measure the front wheel well again. Increase tension on the chains until the front wheel well measurement is within 1/2 inch of its original reading. Under no circumstances should the front wheel well measurement be lower than the original reading.

1b. (This is out of my Ford manual.) Do step 1a with one exception. Instead of within 1/2 inch of the original reading, remove 1/2 of the difference between the first two measurements.

2. Yes, it is normal to have to crank the tongue up pretty high to tension the bars.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Also remember the DC wants to keep the trailer centered. Where the other 2 will try and hold it wherever it is. The EQ also IMO doesnt work how Equalizer says it does. The physics alone prove that. Some will argue that Iโ€™m wrong, but take the time to look at how it works and you will see the bars canโ€™t do anything for trailer sway.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Based on this and having owned both Reese and Equalizer, I would opt for the Reese DC or Equalizer.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-116001.html
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
^^^^^

I have been using the dual cam on 2 trailers now for 12 years and it works really good. Drilling the holes no big deal.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I will highly recommend the Dual Cam. Once dialed in it does a tremendous job of providing no sway. the only ones better are the HA and Pro Pride.

Drilling for the Cam brackets is no big deal. Just measure twice and drill once. I had mine for 15 years on 2 trailers, the latter one 13 years. Brackets never moved and were solid. I had around 1300 lbs of tongue weight!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input and advice. Decided on the Blue Ox BXW2000.

Installed this past weekend. All went well; followed instructions on install and watched their install video.

I am at 9 links. Trailer is level and truck is close to level.

Questions.....

1. How can I determine if less links are needed...since my TW is at 1450# or slightly higher after I add some front storage weight?

2. I did have to jack up the truck/trailer pretty high (with tongue jack) to be able to crank on handle (rotating latches) and lock chains in place at 9 links. Is this normal?

NOTE: Very happy that the 7 hole, 2", 2000#/20000# shank (BXW4000) worked out perfectly and I can lower my truck's tailgate without hitting hitch ball!!! (Could not do this on my Outdoors RV with its tall coupler profile).

Thanks!

Equal-i-zer 10K

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
I'm running 1500# bars with 1800 pounds tongue weight. Works for me because my van is a dually. With your SRW, you would still probably be fine, unless you also haul something in the bed at the same time, in which case the 2,000# bars will help make sure you don't overload the tires.

That said... there's been a couple of posts on here this years about other folks maxing out the links on their Blue-Ox, so take my experience with a grain of salt.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Would the Blue Ox 1500# unit be sufficient?....since my TW is 1450#.....it is just under the 1500# limit.....no room for added TW.

Would the Blue Ox 2000# be too much/too stiff?
Equal-i-zer 10K

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
I'd recommend the Blue Ox for a Toy Hauler.

I really liked the Dual Cam (which I had previously), except for the above mentioned issue of binding up when you turn too tight (easy to do with the super tight turning radius of my van), and that it can require adjusting the cam seats when tongue weight changes dramatically, like if you had to tow a tay hauler without toys for a trip.

The Blue ox rides a little better too, because of the tapered bars. It does not however, keep things as tight during strong crosswinds, compared to the dual cam. Part of that is the wheelbase ratio of my current trailer. Your trailer will be better from that standpoint.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

mt1729
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know what the new equalizer hitches are like. I bought a new one, I think it was just after they came in to being around 1968. The spring bars were the old style with the chain hook up to either side of the trailer tongue. I have 5th wheel now & don't use it much anymore except for towing my utility trailer. If the new ones work anywhere near as well as mine you will never need another. It eliminates the need for any kind of anti sway device if set up right. Or mine does anyway. Used it to tow some very large and very heavy trailers. Never had a problem. For me noise was never a issue.
Moose

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
I have had all three....All three worked great.
Equal-i-zer was just too noisy...screeching, popping....wife hated it.

Dual Cam: Drilling for the snap up brackets was no big deal...Lots of adjustment and "dialing in" before it works correctly.

Blue Ox: very easy to install. I have a 90 degree narrow back in to get our trailer into the driveway. Dual Cam didn't like this severe angle and actually worked best when I un-hooked it for this maneuver . Blue Ox doesn't mind the 90 degree turn angle at all. It is also very quiet.

Again...all three did an excellent job of distributing the weight and controlling and sway.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro