cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cold temp question....just in case

WrightOn
Explorer
Explorer
I THINK this is the right process, but I'm willing to risk some negative feedback in order to save my pipes.

Temps will be in the mid 20s the next two nights. The 5'er has been de-winterized. I drained the fresh tank and hot water tank. I also opened up the low point valves and the faucets inside.

I do have a dishwasher and ice maker so I will keep the furnace on at 40 just to make sure. Am i all good?
Out numbered 4:1
2011 F350 PSD 6.7L Dually
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Empty Nest'n with our Rott!
10 REPLIES 10

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m glad that it worked for you!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

WrightOn
Explorer
Explorer
*** UPDATE ***
I ran the furnace at 45 degrees with all the faucets and cabinet doors open. I placed a portable thermometer in a closed off access area where water lines ran (under bathroom but accessed through the outdoor storage compartment). The outdoor temp at 7am was 24. The temp in the living room was 45, and the portable thermometer read 44.5.

Science experience completed. One more night of cold temps tonight before a warm up in the midwest. Thanks for all the feedback.

Brian
Out numbered 4:1
2011 F350 PSD 6.7L Dually
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Empty Nest'n with our Rott!

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I dunno about Illinois, but we haven't had any warm daytime highs in my area for the past 48 hours... been below freezing the entire time.

ps oh when will it end!
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Todd.

I, however, would not have drained the water heater and it would be turned on.
Rich
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2021 CanAm Maverick DS Turbo
Southern NV

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Just my opinion here,if you have forced air heat to your basement ( tanks, plumbing, ect.) area....you should be fine! Likely the lows in the mid 20โ€™s will only be a small % of the 24 hour period! The RV should be like โ€œheat sinkโ€, absorbing the warm daytime highs, and slowly lose temperatures as the ambient temperatures lower. โ€œIFโ€ a water line is exposed or running in contact with frame directly exposed to ambient temps.....All bets are off!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

JRMunn
Explorer
Explorer
WrightOn,

This can depend on how your furnace circulates air. Mine pulls air out of the trailer into the under-belly where the tanks and water heater are. (I think this is the basis for the manufacturer's claim of "heated tanks".) I have set the furnace at 40 and left the water heater on for mid-20's nights (our lowest temps are usually just a couple of hours) without any freeze damage. But make sure you have enough gas because the furnace might also run during the day or any time that the temperature is below 40.

JRMunn

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
IMO you are good. We have had mid 20's some nights when our trailer was not winterized. I did what you have done and it was fine. Make sure all cabinet doors and inside doors are open.

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
All depends on how many water lines run thru unheated areas.
2010 Suncruiser

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'd aim at 50 F for the furnace.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Not a risk I'd take, if your location is Illinois. 40 degree at the thermostat could see 10-15 degrees colder inside the walls and cabinetry. If you get 20s all night long, could be a problem.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed