cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer steps and Dog

LindaAnn
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't been on this site in a while. We had a motorhome in the past, but sold it.
We recently bought a smaller travel trailer. And since we sold the motorhome, we have adopted 2 dogs from the local shelter. Sadie is a 22 pound terrier mix (white with a black circle around one eye) and Cruiser is a 50 pound mix (blonde). We lost our little dog Prissy that we used to travel with.

Sadie has no problem using the steps to the trailer, but Cruiser refuses. I have tried everything...I don't know if it's because the steps are not stationary or because there are gaps between the steps.

I wonder if he would use a ramp of some kind. I would appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks,
LindaAnn
23 REPLIES 23

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
I tested the carpet runner idea using two separate throw rugs and our lab got up with a little assistance from me. Whe was more willing to attempt the steps with them covered. Thanks for the idea! I'll now go and purchase a runner.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Addy15
Explorer
Explorer
Our dog did not like the standard steps that were on our previous trailer; she'd jump right over them. However, she does much better with the solid steps we have now on our new trailer.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
lucy6194 wrote:
6ft carpet runner. Velcro to top step then bungie between at each existing step. Holds carpet snug,dogs don't see thru,helps cut down on dirt in camper and is removable to either sweep shake or vacuum. Have been doing this for years as we're afraid dogs would slip a leg between steps and get hurt.

This is what I did, too. My Cattle Dog had cataracts and was clumsy on the steps - the runner kept him from falling through the gaps.

In my case, it was a strip of astroturf clamped to the top and bottom steps; and pieces of threaded rod laid between the scissors joint on each side kept the dropped back in place.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Willcamp4
Explorer
Explorer
Our elderly Border Collie mix has arthritis in her back and one hip, so nowadays she can't handle the steps into the trailer. Last year we got a ramp to make it easier, but immediately had issues with her feet slipping on the ramp, which had a surface like sandpaper. After checking her feet though I realized the hair had grown long on the bottom of her feet, as I hadn't checked it in a couple of months. I trimmed the hair and she handled the ramp with ease. Fortunately the ramp stores easily and handles well over her weight. I recommend it for all elderly dogs, and it saves my elderly back too.
Willcamp4
2012 Ford F-250 Super Duty, Crew Cab, Lariat, 6.7L PSTD, Air Lift rear suspension.
Alpenlite Valhalla Limited Fifth Wheel, two Solar panels, four six-volt batteries, two Honda EU2000i generators

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
We went with a Pet Gear 6 foot tri folding ramp. It is long enough to keep the incline from being too steep and wide enough for Lucky and Lucie and we still have plenty of room to use the other side. The surface is non slip and both our dogs really like it. We were concerned that out big dog who will be 12 this year would get his leg caught since the back of the steps are open. We did not want to take that chance.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely a ramp is better for older/unsure dogs. Also, landing with all that weight on even a medium sized younger dog is hard on their shoulders.

For those of you that cant pick up your dogs, or that wont be able to when they are old, START NOW training them to use a ramp. Makes life SO much easier when they cant walk/see/etc as well.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:
t is not so much the gaps between the steps, but the fact that the dogs are seeing just the edge of the step from their angle of vision. Our big dogs never had a problem, but the small one we have now does have a problem, so a carpet runner is the best solution. I also added reflective tape to the edges of the steps to make them easier to see, and that seem to help also.

I've thought of the carpet runner idea and now with your supporting testimony, I'll have to try it. Even with out Lab's back leg arthritis problems, she still manages to get up the back door house steps and upstairs to bed every night, so you'd think the RV steps would be ok. We do have them carpeted, but a runner may just do the trick. Thanks!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
t is not so much the gaps between the steps, but the fact that the dogs are seeing just the edge of the step from their angle of vision. Our big dogs never had a problem, but the small one we have now does have a problem, so a carpet runner is the best solution. I also added reflective tape to the edges of the steps to make them easier to see, and that seem to help also.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

LindaAnn
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the suggestions!

I don't know Cruiser's mix...he has the head of a pittie, a long body, but very short legs (picture an oversized Corgi!) so I don't see him jumping up into the trailer without the help of steps or a ramp.
The steps have that outdoor carpet on them, so he's not slipping.

I like the idea of the carpet runner or a ramp...that would keep him from seeing the gap between the steps.

Thanks again...

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lots of good advice above on things to try.

It also just may be that Cruiser is nervous about different "grounds". So, no matter what you do, you may have to include a lot of positive reinforcement.

If he likes toys, have some special toys in the trailer and use them to encourage him up. Put a leash on him, you go inside and encourage, and keep a consistently firm grip on the leash - this can help him "decide" to climb the steps without any fear. If toys won't work, try treats.

My Moose-dog hated the outside step on the clipper. It was just not comfortable. When it got bent during the Great GPS Adventure, I started using a seperate single step stepstool. I set it at just the right spot and he can come at it at the right angle and it fits his long body.

For our dog step (5 steps) to the cabover bed, he jumps and uses them more as a bouncing point. Bat-dog has had a couple trips where she didn't want to climb those steps to go to bed. A treat on each step convinces her otherwise.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
We had a dog that wouldn't climb the Steele till we put carpet on them.

X2. Not sure if it was the holes in the steps or the feel of the steps but a couple pieces of carpet and up they go. We tried a ramp but it made it difficult for us to use the stairs and moving the ramp every time got old real quick.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We have a rat terrier and a lab. The rat terrier has no problem using the steps to our FW, but as our lab has aged, she has had problems. We have a dog ramp, but the lab won't use it, so hubby and I lift her in and help her out.

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
We use the following. It comes in different sizes and the carpet is easy on them. We have both a small and large dog. It only took them a short time to master it. You can use it on the trailer and tow vehicle.

Dog Ramp
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 15 yo Corgi and a younger one that is crippled in the hind end. I use to a bath towel spread out under their body or sometimes a log carrier to hoist them in and out of the trailer.