Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Paper air filter conversion
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Paper air filter conversion

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
garyemunson

Reno, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/27/19 06:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone sell a conversion kit to allow using a disposable paper filter on a Coleman A/C? Looks like a 16" x 16" filter would be the size. Otherwise I feel a project coming on.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/27/19 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garyemunson wrote:

Does anyone sell a conversion kit to allow using a disposable paper filter on a Coleman A/C? Looks like a 16" x 16" filter would be the size. Otherwise I feel a project coming on.

You probably will have much less air flow, maybe you could build a larger frame for a larger paper filter.

hypoxia

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/19 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just keep in mind the air filter is meant to remove large particulates and allow small particulates to pass through the evaporator. It is not meant to clean the air you breathe. A "paper filter" by its very nature will create a large restriction, reduce air flow and increase head pressure in the compressor. That is not a good thing.

Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/19 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hypoxia wrote:

Just keep in mind the air filter is meant to remove large particulates and allow small particulates to pass through the evaporator. It is not meant to clean the air you breathe. A "paper filter" by its very nature will create a large restriction, reduce air flow and increase head pressure in the compressor. That is not a good thing.

What he said. A paper filter will be a significant flow restriction.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

starcraft69

northern California(State Of Jefferson)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/19 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

drsteve wrote:

hypoxia wrote:

What they say. Plus this will more then likely cause freezing and icing.

2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/19 12:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

starcraft69 wrote:

drsteve wrote:

hypoxia wrote:

What they say. Plus this will more then likely cause freezing and icing.

That too.

Chris Bryant

Arden, North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/19 02:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ll be somewhat contrarian here- if you can use the full 16x16 I think you will be fine. The a/c in our park model uses a 12x12 filter, and that’s on a 2 ton unit.

-- Chris Bryant
My RV Service Blog
The RV.net Blog

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/19 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, what are you trying to filter out? You need to know the particle size. (really the range of sizes and the material, the loading, air velocity, acceptable pressure drop, etc.)

Chum lee

C Schomer

Pueblo West, Co.

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/19 10:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you mean pleated or paper? When I am president I will make sure that all ACs, including window bangers, RV and minisplits all use at least Merv 8 filtration at no more than 350 FPM faca velocity...:.

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/19 10:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was going to try this last year. Already have the filters and dont care what it looks like up there. Plan was to fold and staple a larger pleated filter into a box like shape and temp tape it to the roof. If i like it then maybe build a housing the accept a flat filter for easy replacement.

I got to think at some point a person with hvac experience has tinkered with their RV and measured the flow of a clean stock foam filter? Or maybe there is a spec on what the stock filter flows?

If we know the stock filter specs then it would be somewhat safe to use a residential pleated filter with equal flow at the correct velocity the RV a/c runs at on high?

Its dusty here and i want to keep the ducts clean is my motivation. I have an automotive radiator fan hot glued to a cardboard box with a pleated filter on it. Sometimes stick in the window and other times run in the trailer as an air filter.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Paper air filter conversion
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS