cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dealer says slide arm bent

leggy
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2016 Grand design reflection FW which I took to our dealer, Wilkins Rv Bath NY, to have a leak fixed in the bottom of our slide out.
A trim piece at the bottom of the side of the slide, somehow became rippled and out of the trim that covers it. Of course it was perfectly located at the edge of the rubber trim coming vertically along the camper. So it funnelled water into the edge of the floor. We never noticed the floor wet but in the humid and wet fall we had I noticed a white mold type growth on the carpet, then I found the flaw. I'm pretty good about checking roof lines but never thought to also check these bottom trim pieces but I will now.
Anyway dealership and I worked at getting grand design to help pay for something out of warranty covered and they did cough up for half the labor.
But now, floor is replaced and tech has adjusted slide room but says the slide room is jumping when going out because the tube is bent. Of course the extended warranty will only cover it if it's broken not bent...I know they are a waste of money but I guess I had to try it myself to realize.
Is it reasonable to think the slide arm was bent during the process of fixing the floor? Or could it have been that way due to the floor being swelled? I never noticed anything when we put the slide out.
Thoughts?
3 REPLIES 3

leggy
Explorer
Explorer
Update, dealership service contact talked with the tech and since no one can truly say if it was bent before it entered their shop, they are going to take care of the repair. I'm impressed but I will be closely looking things over when I go to pick it up.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
Broken or bent, it's the same dang thing. A part that is unusable is just that and should have the same warranty coverage. You are just being jerked around.

Jerked around by carefully worded verbiage in the contract the same as in most service contracts / extended warranties.

Just like for a motor. It will cover "internal lubricated parts". When one of those lets loose and punches a hole in the block? Sorry, we'll pay for the $30 rod but you're on your own for the block.

I'd suspect in this case they're using the verbiage that a failure of some other component caused the slide gear to bend, so that's too bad for you but great for us. A good dealer could fudge this through if they wanted to but most, as the contract providers agent, has the providers back and not yours. There are incentives for dealers from the providers for keeping the payout rate low.

They're all about the same if you actually read the terms and inclusions / exclusions.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Broken or bent, it's the same dang thing. A part that is unusable is just that and should have the same warranty coverage. You are just being jerked around.