cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class A-what year is it?

RAINEYTXX
Explorer
Explorer
So, as most of you probably know, a typical class A has a VIN or chassis number and the house portion of the motor home has a serial number assigned to it by your manufacturer.

What determines the year of a motorhome? Chassis or serial number. So, in this example your coach is a Forest River Georgetown and has a 2012 Ford VIN but was built say in late 2013 by Forest River. So, is your coach a 2012 (VIN) OR A 2013 (house portion) and who decides? If you purchased it as 2013 is it a 2013 or 2012 as indicated by the 10th digit of the Zaza VIN? What would you personally do if you bought it as a 2013 but either your bank or insurance company says it is 2012?

Thoughts?
2012 DRV Mobile Suites Atlanta 43'
2012 F-450
2016 Audi Q5
2011 Audi A8L
2004 Audi A4 6 speed sport package
34 REPLIES 34

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks 4X4. These older units don't differ much in price. Condition counts for a bunch and anything that affects what it costs me is my concern and tags are cheaper this way. I have one about wore out and one that is just like new but they are only 1 year apart. I don't tell DMV how to do their job, LOL.

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Several people have already posted links to the RVIA info on this, so I'm not going to do that again, but ALL states SHOULD be using the RV manufacturer's model yr designation, not the chassis yr. Some DMV employees don't do it that way, but they are WRONG, and those RV registrations SHOULD be corrected. Ferndaleflyer; your situation could result in less money in your pocket when you go to sell, albeit probably not a huge difference.

For what it's worth, my current RV is a 2004 model, built in 2004, on a 2004 chassis (that was built in 2004)...so there is no question; DMV agrees that it's a 2004.
However, my last RV was a 1988 model RV, built in 1988 on a 1987 Ford chassis (that was actually built in 1986). DMV registration correctly lists it as a 1988.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
You suppose so Dutch----Both were the house year when I got them in another state but had to be checked at the DMV and ended up being what they are now. DMV is happy and I am on the road.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Each state may be different. We have a 2000 chassis and our title indicates a 2000 for the model year which agrees with the VIN # of the chassis.

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
I just recently registered a 2019 and that is what my Florida title shows. It left the factory in August 2018 as a 2019 model and it rides on a 2017 freightliner chassis. Florida registers the house and not the chassis.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Someone above mentioned Maryland using the house date as the year on the title. I currently have 2 registered in MD and both use the chassis date which is one year older than the coach + one is registered as a Freightliner and not a Winnebago. Am I concerned, not hardly. This is another case of plenty of "experts" on the subject.

Since those experts include the Federal Register, the FTC, and the RVIA, I'd say they're worth paying attention to when they say the end manufacturer determines the model year, not the VIN.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Someone above mentioned Maryland using the house date as the year on the title. I currently have 2 registered in MD and both use the chassis date which is one year older than the coach + one is registered as a Freightliner and not a Winnebago. Am I concerned, not hardly. This is another case of plenty of "experts" on the subject.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is on a 1997 chassis and engine registration paper work say 1998.
When I go to a campground its a 2009.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, that one year age difference will effect the resale value. The older the RV gets though, the less difference the age will make as the condition contributes more to the value.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Equus1RV
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased (what was marked as) a 2017 Thor Vegas in April of this year. The previous owner had it registered in KY and they DMV there used the chassis VIN number and manufacture date (2016) for the title. I am now trying to get this thing registered where I live in MT and the dealer is having issues supplying documents to the MT DMV. Big concern is that they sold me a 2017 model year unit that shows it to be 2016 in the title.

While that is a mess by itself, my other concern is down the road will when and if I decide to sell it, will I have problems and does this affect market value? Note: I did get the original sticker on the unit and it shows model year 2017 on it.

MrWizard
i have a 97 Bounder, built march 97 on a 96 chassis built in sept 96

the registration is 1997 model

the certificate of origin, is what counts when titling from new

BUT if the paper work has been lost or changed via auction or salvage and being bought used, then you are subject to what ever the local DMV puts on your new paper work, getting it changed after they put it in their system is pure H E LL
don't let them do that, question them every step of the way
and walk out and go some place else to another branch if there are problems getting it entered correctly
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Alan_Hepburn wrote:
Here's another document that explains split-year vehicles: Click here
If you have a motorhome that is registered with the Incomplete Vehicle VIN year and not the motorhome's actual model year you can go to your DMV and force them to fix it - it makes a difference!

In most States it will make a difference. Taxes will be higher the newer the coach is. California will love to make a paper change to get more of your money....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
Here's another document that explains split-year vehicles: Click here
If you have a motorhome that is registered with the Incomplete Vehicle VIN year and not the motorhome's actual model year you can go to your DMV and force them to fix it - it makes a difference!
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
In NM are 6 of our MH were listed on the title as the year that the coach builder finished the coach as identified in there id number. As stated previously we received an MSO on the 2 new ones we purchased that we surrendered when we applied for the title. Yes, we made copies of the MSO.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT