Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Time to Buy New Tires
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Time to Buy New Tires

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/19 08:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gulfcoast wrote:

They put 205 75 14 on my trailer, had they wanted something else on the trailer, they would have put them.

My trailer has a sticker with the recommended tire size.
One word::::::: COST!

Your manufacturer wanted you to have the LOWEST COST tires..... So they could make more profit.
If there were a tire that cost .50 less. that is what they would want it to have. The same goes for just about everything that your TT is made of. Most RVs have a lot of "BLING". Things that look great on the dealers lot, but cost little and add nothing to actual performance.... Yet impress potential buyers...... While things that really matter like frames, axles, tires, etc. get shortchanged.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.

trailer_newbe

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/19 09:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Goodyear, done.

2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

owenssailor

Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/19 09:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just put on Goodyear Endurance - same size as yours. They are D rating and also rated for 87 MPH. Much better than the original tires. I now have much higher weight carrying capacity and a much higher speed tolerance since I only tow at 62 - 65

2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

bob213

Fresno, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/19 11:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your rims can handle 65 psi then the Goodyear Endurance. If not, Maxxis.
215 is fine if you have the clearance for them but I don't really think you gain much. Many people like the new Carlisle but I think the "new part" of the tire only comes in larger sizes.
It's cheaper to buy good tires than to repair what cheap tires have damaged.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

CALandLIN

SC

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/19 11:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

trail-explorer wrote:

Gulfcoast wrote:

I'm keeping the size that Jayco wanted me to have.

Never heard of an RV manufacturer dictating to customers what size tires "they should have"

Read your owner's manual, it's in there.

CALandLIN

SC

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/19 12:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rfloyd99 wrote:

I need new tires on my Jay Feather 26' TT. It weighs about 6,000 lbs loaded. Original tires are ST205/75/R14 6PR LR C (max load single 1760 lbs)

I've read several tire threads here, and still have some questions. Of course, I want to spend as little as I can but still get good quality. I put 19,000 miles on the original tires in three years, and plan to put on 5 to 7,000 miles each year. So, quite a bit of use.

Questions:

1. Seems like I can get C or D rated tires for not much price difference - should I definitely get one or the other? There seem to be more choices in the C rating.

2. Most are 6 ply, a few 8 ply. Again, is one a clear choice?

3. I see a few good choices that are 215 vs 205. Can I go up to 215 with the rims I have, and are there any advantages?

4. Any thoughts on price range/brands? Seems like I can get Greenball Transmaster D/8ply from Walmart for $49 ea, or Carlisle C or D or Maxxis C for about $85, or Goodyear Endurance D for $103.

Anybody care to answer/opine on these questions? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

There is a basic minimum industry wide standard for replacement tires; they must provide a load capacity equal to what the Original Equipment tires provided.

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/19 12:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

trail-explorer wrote:

Gulfcoast wrote:

I'm keeping the size that Jayco wanted me to have.

Never heard of an RV manufacturer dictating to customers what size tires "they should have"

Look at your FMVSS tire load label and the recommended size tire size is right there and is what the manufacturer supplied as OEM.

Larry

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/19 05:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went through this same exercise last year and bought the Goodyear Endurance for a piece of mind. They are WELL within their load limit, I can speed up to 70-75mpg to pass slower vehicles if needed without worrying about my tires, and pot holes are less of a concern now but I still don't like hitting them. To me, that piece of mind was worth the extra money.

You plan on traveling 7000 miles/yr. Think about it.

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

DustyR

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/19 05:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

rfloyd99 wrote:

Anybody care to answer/opine on these questions?

Just buy a set of Goodyear Endurance tires which in your size will be LR D and be done with it. [emoticon]

X-2

I went with Goodyear Endurance. I had considered Carlisle or Hercules. The Endurance is pricey, but have a good record.

Coachmen Denali 270FK 32 Ft.
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

Iraqvet05

Greenwood, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/19 06:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I bought Maxxis tires for our old TT, the Goodyear Endurance was only offered in a load range D. You can run LR D if your rim can handle the pressure. I tried to identify the manufacturer and model of the rim and I ran out of time before a long trip to Colorado so I just stayed with LR C tires.

2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Time to Buy New Tires
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS