Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Genset oil change

TimnJo
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

I'm going over what will need to be done once I get our rig out of storage. I know it will happen even if it's a long way off judging by the amount of snow still on the ground, sigh.

Anyway, one of the tasks will be to change the genset oil, even though it's only run about ten hours since last change, I did that just after acquiring the rig almost two years ago.

So, how do I go about it; just open the drain plug and let 'er go, run it up to working temp, then do it, run it for a good hour under load, then drain?

I did a quick search both on here and Google but not much mention about changing after long winter storage.

TIA,

Tim

P.S. It's a Generac 5500 propane fueled unit in the front storage compartment of my fifth wheel
2010 Carriage Cameo 36FWS
2018 Silverado 3500HD D/A Double Cab Dually LT
5 REPLIES 5

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Change the oil? You're supposed to change the oil in these things?

TimnJo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the advice.

Tim
2010 Carriage Cameo 36FWS
2018 Silverado 3500HD D/A Double Cab Dually LT

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I was running propane I sure wouldn't change the oil that frequently. There isn't any need since propane runs so clean. I can guarantee you that if you drain that oil and compare it to new, you won't be able to tell the difference.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

At ten hours I would not bother to change. When I did, I'd go to a synthetic. I would run the generator for 30 minutes under a moderate load if it is an inverter generator. If it is not--then just run it for 30 minutes.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
I just did mine, I remove the drain plug and allow the oil to drain over night. change the filter, then replace the plug, and re-fill.
My gen-set is an Onan 7.5
This year I also changed the fuel filter, and removed cleaned, tested the glo-plugs,
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.