cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

question on on hitches on the back of fifth wheels

RWBrothers
Explorer
Explorer
I lived in a fifth wheel several years ago after getting out of the AF, I have been looking at going back to one fulltime again and I have a question on the rear hitches on fifth wheels. My question is there a way to mount a motorcycle on the back of the fifth wheel? My current bike is 500-pound wet weight and the new one I am looking at is 485lbs. I don't care for toy haulers but I do like the idea of the garage that some of the fifth wheels have. I would go that way if I have to but I really would like to get a mid bunk trailer so when I have visitors they have their own room and when not I have an office of sorts! Thanks in advance!!!
34 REPLIES 34

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
i have pulled a u-haul auto trailer with a fully loaded cj-7 on it, behind my 25 ft sunny brook. in 6 of the western states. yes been seen by federal, state, county, city leos, even tribal cops. never a problem.

first. have a extra strong custom hitch mount on your frame.
second. wire up for lights, and brakes as required by your states laws (if you stay in state only) if not then include electric brake wiring in the plan.
third. get the correct drivers permit. a class A --non commercial-- with double/triple endorsement.

this pending length and weight laws, you will be golden to tow double in all 50 states. (but kinda hard to drive to hawaii). not sure about in canada? stay out of mexico no mater. but for the "lower" 48 states and the district of columbia you would be golden.

this is covered under federal dot laws, not state hwy laws.

but under some conditions, states can outright ban anything on certain roads. (over a X weight, X height, X length).
2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

TazFord
Explorer
Explorer
Itโ€™s really more of larger door into the bunk room than a rear entry toy hauler would be, not a bunch of wasted space. Check out Keystone and Palomino Pumaโ€™s. Keystone 240URS, 324CG.
Life long camper, First time Fiver
2018 Starcraft Solstice 29BHSโ€”2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
Fisher Bill wrote:
So I'd love to have a TH but the wife does not so I'm in the same boat but here's a video of a guy fixing a bumper from only carrying bicycles on a curt receiver on a stock 5th wheel bumper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIwtglKiBwk

This is why I would re-enforce any kind of carrier

Have her consider what I call a toybox. Take a look at a Grand Design Solitude 374TH. Inside of a normal 5th, while taking your motorcycle with you.

If we could afford one, we would get it.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
My hitch is made up of two cross members. One of which is a 5x5x1/4" wall thickness and about a foot in front of it is a 3x3x3/16". I welded two receivers capable of accepting 4x2x1/4 tubing. These receivers bridge between the two cross members.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Fisher Bill wrote:
So I'd love to have a TH but the wife does not so I'm in the same boat but here's a video of a guy fixing a bumper from only carrying bicycles on a curt receiver on a stock 5th wheel bumper.

Just watched that video... I hope that's not you so I don't offend you.. that's a hack job..

the bumper can and probably will still rip off with 4 bikes on there.. He only welded a heavier piece to the tube, and really did not support it more... that will rip at the edge of the patch with any amount of extended flex..

When I had a TT, I bypassed that cheap/formed bumper and got me a 4" square X 3/16" wall piece of steel tube and welded that directly to the frame mounts....
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer

2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

TazFord
Explorer
Explorer
Have you looked at a side entry toy hauler. Room is much smaller the regular toy hauler, great for a motorcycle. Can still get bunks in some models
Life long camper, First time Fiver
2018 Starcraft Solstice 29BHSโ€”2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here's my home made carrier and hitch. About 1000 lbs with the bike loaded. My pin weight was on the light side to begin with. With the bike loaded I need 300 lbs of gravel loaded in the fro t closet to get the trailer to pull ok. I still plan on moving the trailer axles back.

Click For Full-Size Image.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
bpounds wrote:
There is no way you can hang a 500# MC on only a receiver hitch. Even if you have a hitch rated for 500# direct load, you are going to have a long draw bar to get a wheel rail far enough out from the rear of the trailer. That is a long lever, and that cantilevered load is going to far exceed the capacity of any receiver.

I don't know what length draw bar they use to rate these hitches. There is a lot left to the imagination since we don't have any of their design documents. But I can assure you it is not based on a 2' long draw bar.

This whole idea is just silly.

You are correct, and I think the OP got the message right away, since he has not returned.

The draw bar on my/most MC carriers is not very long, which does not allow for a very secure tie down. Even putting a 500 lb bike on your truck or MH rear could be an issue with tie down, using a standard type carrier. On back of a FW, or TT, with the potential bounce of bridges, RR tracks, etc, is asking for trouble.

To the OP, if ever returning to look...you do need to just get a TH, and use the garage for guests/office.

Jerry

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
There is no way you can hang a 500# MC on only a receiver hitch. Even if you have a hitch rated for 500# direct load, you are going to have a long draw bar to get a wheel rail far enough out from the rear of the trailer. That is a long lever, and that cantilevered load is going to far exceed the capacity of any receiver.

I don't know what length draw bar they use to rate these hitches. There is a lot left to the imagination since we don't have any of their design documents. But I can assure you it is not based on a 2' long draw bar.

This whole idea is just silly.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
TxGearhead wrote:
If you get pulled over for double towing play dumb.

LOL....That will work.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
I pull a boat that has a tongue weight of around 500# with no I'll effects. I built my hitch.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Good point! Typing without brain in gear. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
Putting 500# on the back of your fifth wheel won't lighten the pin weight 500#. Depends on the location of the axles.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.