Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Bar In or Tow Bar Out?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Tow Bars

 > Tow Bar In or Tow Bar Out?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
hohenwald48

Nashville, TN

Senior Member

Joined: 07/27/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/19/19 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

connecting IS part of what you're asking. IMO what matters is *verifying* that the arms ARE locked prior to departure. easiest way to do this if traveling with someone is, after connecting the toad, to pull forward a short distance while someone watches to ensure the arms lock. if traveling alone pull forward a short distance, connect the toad and then back up the toad a short distance to lock the arms.


So it doesn't matter if the arms are locked in the extended position or if the arms are locked in the retracted position when you tow? Only matters that they are locked in one position or the other?

If that's the case, does it tow any better in the retracted position (shorter) or the extended (longer) position?


When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2015 Open Range 216 RBS
2013 Nissan Armada Platinum

rk911

Wheaton IL

Senior Member

Joined: 05/30/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/19/19 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

locked in the retracted position?? never heard of that. is that even possible?


'73,
rich, n9dko
If Jimmy cracks corn and nobody cares then why does he keep doing it?
_________________________________
_________________________________
2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
'46 Willys CJ2A
'03 Jeep Wrangler TJ
'10 Jeep Liberty KK


Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

Senior Member

Joined: 09/30/2002

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/19/19 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do try to stop after we pull off and before we enter the roadway to make sure everything is like it should be. Had a bunji cord on one of the handles on the Blue Ox tow bar that would not let it lock. Saw and felt it move as I would stop or slow down. Part of my check list now, just like making sure the parking brake is released on the towed

georgelesley

Tennessee

Senior Member

Joined: 07/29/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/20/19 07:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hohenwald48 wrote:

rk911 wrote:

connecting IS part of what you're asking. IMO what matters is *verifying* that the arms ARE locked prior to departure. easiest way to do this if traveling with someone is, after connecting the toad, to pull forward a short distance while someone watches to ensure the arms lock. if traveling alone pull forward a short distance, connect the toad and then back up the toad a short distance to lock the arms.


So it doesn't matter if the arms are locked in the extended position or if the arms are locked in the retracted position when you tow? Only matters that they are locked in one position or the other?

If that's the case, does it tow any better in the retracted position (shorter) or the extended (longer) position?


They only lock in the extended position and it is vital that both be locked when actually towing. We do as others have posted: hook up with both not locked. DW pulls forward a few feet until one locks, I stop her, then turn toad steering wheel 3/4 turn towards the unlocked bar. She then pulls ahead a few feet and it always locks quickly. This method is straight from the Blue Ox manual.

You can hook it up with both bars already locked, it is just more difficult and tedious.


George & Lesley
2014 Itasca Sunova 33C, 2019 Jeep Cherokee Lattitude Plus toad, Demco/SMI towing system

hohenwald48

Nashville, TN

Senior Member

Joined: 07/27/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/20/19 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

locked in the retracted position?? never heard of that. is that even possible?


I guess I don't know. Hence, the question. [emoticon] Maybe they were different kinds of tow bars and not Blue Ox but a lot of folks drove off with them locked in the retracted position while pulling the car. Some Blue Ox documentation seems to indicate some models can be locked extended or retracted. I know my Ready Brute Elite tow bar can be locked in either position.

At least you understood my question. Seems a lot of folks don't understand what I'm asking.

hohenwald48

Nashville, TN

Senior Member

Joined: 07/27/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/20/19 11:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

georgelesley wrote:

hohenwald48 wrote:

rk911 wrote:

connecting IS part of what you're asking. IMO what matters is *verifying* that the arms ARE locked prior to departure. easiest way to do this if traveling with someone is, after connecting the toad, to pull forward a short distance while someone watches to ensure the arms lock. if traveling alone pull forward a short distance, connect the toad and then back up the toad a short distance to lock the arms.


So it doesn't matter if the arms are locked in the extended position or if the arms are locked in the retracted position when you tow? Only matters that they are locked in one position or the other?

If that's the case, does it tow any better in the retracted position (shorter) or the extended (longer) position?


They only lock in the extended position


I know that's not true of all tow bars and I'm not sure it's true of all Blue Ox tow bars.

rk911

Wheaton IL

Senior Member

Joined: 05/30/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/20/19 11:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i’m certainly no expert on towing and tow bars but i have been towing since 2003 and have never heard or seen anything about a towbar that could be locked in anything other than fully extended. live and learn, i guess. but WHY would anyone want to tow with the arms locked in the retracted position? wouldn’t that shorten the gap between the MH and toad increasing the possibility of damage to both during a turn?

MRUSA

Wellington, FL

Senior Member

Joined: 01/27/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/20/19 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Roadmaster Sterling towbar and it only locks in the extended position. I usually hook it up in the retracted or partially retracted position and it extends and self-locks as soon as I pull forward in the motorhome.


Marc, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
2018 Lincoln MKX toad
EEZ-RV tire pressure monitor


georgelesley

Tennessee

Senior Member

Joined: 07/29/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/20/19 06:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hohenwald48 wrote:

georgelesley wrote:

hohenwald48 wrote:

rk911 wrote:

connecting IS part of what you're asking. IMO what matters is *verifying* that the arms ARE locked prior to departure. easiest way to do this if traveling with someone is, after connecting the toad, to pull forward a short distance while someone watches to ensure the arms lock. if traveling alone pull forward a short distance, connect the toad and then back up the toad a short distance to lock the arms.


So it doesn't matter if the arms are locked in the extended position or if the arms are locked in the retracted position when you tow? Only matters that they are locked in one position or the other?

If that's the case, does it tow any better in the retracted position (shorter) or the extended (longer) position?


They only lock in the extended position


I know that's not true of all tow bars and I'm not sure it's true of all Blue Ox tow bars.


Guess I missed that one. Can’t imagine why anyone would lock it in the retracted position for towing though.

mowermech

Billings, MT

Senior Member

Joined: 06/28/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/20/19 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since I usually use a fixed arm, adjustable width A-frame towbar, I don't have that problem.
However, I also have a Roadmaster Stowmaster 6K capacity telescoping towbar that I used when towing a Dodge 1500 pickup. It only locks in the extended position. I never did much like the thing, although the folding on the front of the truck was handy.


CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Daily Driver: '06 PT Cruiser Turbo
Toad: '05 Wrangler Unlimited
Toy: 1999 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, Auto, 4X4
Other toys: 2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Tow Bars

 > Tow Bar In or Tow Bar Out?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS