Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Tow Bar In or Tow Bar Out?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Tow Bars

> Tow Bar In or Tow Bar Out?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
hohenwald48

Nashville, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/19 06:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

but WHY would anyone want to tow with the arms locked in the retracted position? wouldn’t that shorten the gap between the MH and toad increasing the possibility of damage to both during a turn?

Yeah, that's why I asked, thought maybe there was something going on I hadn't heard before. I think if I towed with my arms locked in the retracted position things would still work just fine and there would be plenty of clearance.

I always lock mine by backing the toad instead of pulling the motorhome forward. Just easier since the toad door is right there and the motorhome door is way up front. [emoticon]

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2015 Open Range 216 RBS
2013 Nissan Armada Platinum

F1bNorm

Gardena, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/19 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Okay, you made me look. My Ready Brute tow bar does not lock in the forward position. The locking pin does drop, but does not engage. If the bar did lock in both positions, I would think in certain conditions you could lock one bar in and the other out, which would not be good!

Try yours and report back.

Norm

F1BNorm

hohenwald48

Nashville, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/19 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK Norm, you made me go look again too. My Ready Brute DOES lock in the retracted (forward) position and it locks solid enough so that I can not cause it to extend (rearward) by pulling on the clevis. Might not lock well enough to tow with but I'll test that on Monday when we leave this CG and I'll report back. I suspect I will be able to tow with it locked forward.

Of course, it locks in the extended position too.

FIRE UP

Lake Havasu City AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/19 05:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well,
I'll be darned. Been towing for decades and have never, ever seen any version of any tow bar, that's extendable that is, that will lock in the retracted position. We've got lots of friends who tow Jeeps and all that and, there are several different makes and models of tow bars and not one of them will lock in the retracted position.

For one, as has been stated, in the retracted position, the distance is closed between the toad and coach. Depending on the width of the tow bar attachment on the toad, that could mean it's quite a bit closer to the coach in the retracted position. And two, the maker of the tow bar would have to make double locking mechanisms, IN and OUT and that would, I think, complicate things pretty good when, there is absolutely ZERO need for towing in a retracted position.

Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

F1bNorm

Gardena, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/19 08:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bought myReady Brute w/built in brake around 2009. Wonder if the vintage makes a difference? Check with NSA?

Norm

hohenwald48

Nashville, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/19 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I suppose the vintage might matter. Mine's probably a 2016/17 vintage. I bought it off Craigslist so not sure.

I guess it really doesn't matter. The reason I started the thread is just out of curiosity based on what I saw one morning. Maybe I didn't even see what I thought I saw. [emoticon] It was early and I was just up to my second cup of coffee. [emoticon]

My Ready Brute Elite will definitely lock in either position and the instructions even state to unlock the red latches to extend the arms. They also warn to only tow in the extended position.

FIRE UP

Lake Havasu City AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/19 09:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hohenwald48 wrote:

I suppose the vintage might matter. Mine's probably a 2016/17 vintage. I bought it off Craigslist so not sure.

I guess it really doesn't matter. The reason I started the thread is just out of curiosity based on what I saw one morning. Maybe I didn't even see what I thought I saw. [emoticon] It was early and I was just up to my second cup of coffee. [emoticon]

My Ready Brute Elite will definitely lock in either position and the instructions even state to unlock the red latches to extend the arms. They also warn to only tow in the extended position.

Yeah,
I just read that too in the online manual. I'd bet dollars to donuts that the primary reason for locking them in the retracted position is maybe to keep them from self extending due to vibration, gravity etc. while you're driving the coach, and no toad is connected. But they definitely state, IN RED, to only tow in the extended position.
Scott

tragusa3

upstate south carolina

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/19 06:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My RBE was purchased new, just a few weeks ago. It locks in either position.

New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Tow Bars

> Tow Bar In or Tow Bar Out?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS