cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tow Bar In or Tow Bar Out?

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Where I'm sitting in this RV park just happens to be the place where everybody connects their toad on the way out. I get to watch 6-12 folks connect up every morning.

Blue Ox tow bars seem to be the most popular. However, about half the Blue Ox users latch the arms extended and half latch them compressed before they take off. Does it matter or are half the folks doing it wrong?
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU
27 REPLIES 27

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
My RBE was purchased new, just a few weeks ago. It locks in either position.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:
I suppose the vintage might matter. Mine's probably a 2016/17 vintage. I bought it off Craigslist so not sure.

I guess it really doesn't matter. The reason I started the thread is just out of curiosity based on what I saw one morning. Maybe I didn't even see what I thought I saw. ๐Ÿ™‚ It was early and I was just up to my second cup of coffee. ๐Ÿ™‚

My Ready Brute Elite will definitely lock in either position and the instructions even state to unlock the red latches to extend the arms. They also warn to only tow in the extended position.

Yeah,
I just read that too in the online manual. I'd bet dollars to donuts that the primary reason for locking them in the retracted position is maybe to keep them from self extending due to vibration, gravity etc. while you're driving the coach, and no toad is connected. But they definitely state, IN RED, to only tow in the extended position.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
I suppose the vintage might matter. Mine's probably a 2016/17 vintage. I bought it off Craigslist so not sure.

I guess it really doesn't matter. The reason I started the thread is just out of curiosity based on what I saw one morning. Maybe I didn't even see what I thought I saw. ๐Ÿ™‚ It was early and I was just up to my second cup of coffee. ๐Ÿ™‚

My Ready Brute Elite will definitely lock in either position and the instructions even state to unlock the red latches to extend the arms. They also warn to only tow in the extended position.

2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
Bought myReady Brute w/built in brake around 2009. Wonder if the vintage makes a difference? Check with NSA?

Norm
F1BNorm

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Well,
I'll be darned. Been towing for decades and have never, ever seen any version of any tow bar, that's extendable that is, that will lock in the retracted position. We've got lots of friends who tow Jeeps and all that and, there are several different makes and models of tow bars and not one of them will lock in the retracted position.

For one, as has been stated, in the retracted position, the distance is closed between the toad and coach. Depending on the width of the tow bar attachment on the toad, that could mean it's quite a bit closer to the coach in the retracted position. And two, the maker of the tow bar would have to make double locking mechanisms, IN and OUT and that would, I think, complicate things pretty good when, there is absolutely ZERO need for towing in a retracted position.

Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
OK Norm, you made me go look again too. My Ready Brute DOES lock in the retracted (forward) position and it locks solid enough so that I can not cause it to extend (rearward) by pulling on the clevis. Might not lock well enough to tow with but I'll test that on Monday when we leave this CG and I'll report back. I suspect I will be able to tow with it locked forward.

Of course, it locks in the extended position too.

2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, you made me look. My Ready Brute tow bar does not lock in the forward position. The locking pin does drop, but does not engage. If the bar did lock in both positions, I would think in certain conditions you could lock one bar in and the other out, which would not be good!

Try yours and report back.

Norm
F1BNorm

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
but WHY would anyone want to tow with the arms locked in the retracted position? wouldnโ€™t that shorten the gap between the MH and toad increasing the possibility of damage to both during a turn?

Yeah, that's why I asked, thought maybe there was something going on I hadn't heard before. I think if I towed with my arms locked in the retracted position things would still work just fine and there would be plenty of clearance.

I always lock mine by backing the toad instead of pulling the motorhome forward. Just easier since the toad door is right there and the motorhome door is way up front. ๐Ÿ™‚

2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Since I usually use a fixed arm, adjustable width A-frame towbar, I don't have that problem.
However, I also have a Roadmaster Stowmaster 6K capacity telescoping towbar that I used when towing a Dodge 1500 pickup. It only locks in the extended position. I never did much like the thing, although the folding on the front of the truck was handy.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:
georgelesley wrote:
hohenwald48 wrote:
rk911 wrote:
connecting IS part of what you're asking. IMO what matters is *verifying* that the arms ARE locked prior to departure. easiest way to do this if traveling with someone is, after connecting the toad, to pull forward a short distance while someone watches to ensure the arms lock. if traveling alone pull forward a short distance, connect the toad and then back up the toad a short distance to lock the arms.

So it doesn't matter if the arms are locked in the extended position or if the arms are locked in the retracted position when you tow? Only matters that they are locked in one position or the other?

If that's the case, does it tow any better in the retracted position (shorter) or the extended (longer) position?

They only lock in the extended position

I know that's not true of all tow bars and I'm not sure it's true of all Blue Ox tow bars.

Guess I missed that one. Canโ€™t imagine why anyone would lock it in the retracted position for towing though.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

MRUSA
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Roadmaster Sterling towbar and it only locks in the extended position. I usually hook it up in the retracted or partially retracted position and it extends and self-locks as soon as I pull forward in the motorhome.
Marc, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
2018 Lincoln MKX toad
EEZ-RV tire pressure monitor

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
iโ€™m certainly no expert on towing and tow bars but i have been towing since 2003 and have never heard or seen anything about a towbar that could be locked in anything other than fully extended. live and learn, i guess. but WHY would anyone want to tow with the arms locked in the retracted position? wouldnโ€™t that shorten the gap between the MH and toad increasing the possibility of damage to both during a turn?
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
georgelesley wrote:
hohenwald48 wrote:
rk911 wrote:
connecting IS part of what you're asking. IMO what matters is *verifying* that the arms ARE locked prior to departure. easiest way to do this if traveling with someone is, after connecting the toad, to pull forward a short distance while someone watches to ensure the arms lock. if traveling alone pull forward a short distance, connect the toad and then back up the toad a short distance to lock the arms.

So it doesn't matter if the arms are locked in the extended position or if the arms are locked in the retracted position when you tow? Only matters that they are locked in one position or the other?

If that's the case, does it tow any better in the retracted position (shorter) or the extended (longer) position?

They only lock in the extended position

I know that's not true of all tow bars and I'm not sure it's true of all Blue Ox tow bars.

2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
locked in the retracted position?? never heard of that. is that even possible?

I guess I don't know. Hence, the question. ๐Ÿ™‚ Maybe they were different kinds of tow bars and not Blue Ox but a lot of folks drove off with them locked in the retracted position while pulling the car. Some Blue Ox documentation seems to indicate some models can be locked extended or retracted. I know my Ready Brute Elite tow bar can be locked in either position.

At least you understood my question. Seems a lot of folks don't understand what I'm asking.

2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU