cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about solar panels?

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
My 05 Fleetwood Expedition has 2 solar panels one is a very small panel on the housing of one of the AC units I believe that one was factory installed. The second solar panel is much larger approximately 3' x 4'. When I was changing out my battery bank there is a set of leads about #14 wire. The positive lead has a glass fuse holder inside was a 500 mA fuse that does not ohm out. .500 mA is really small it then attaches to a small panel inside the battery compartment I will post a picture of the battery bank you can see this small panel in the picture. Is this little panel for the small solar panel? The small fuse size is either wrong or maybe a control wire or for the very small panel on the AC unit.

I am guessing my large solar panel must be connected to the Inverter/Charger? I have 2 large sets of cables going from the battery bank to the inverter charger area,one set is 3/0 & the other set is 2/0. Can anyone explain how the large solar unit is ran and what the small panel in the battery compartment is for?

Thanks Mike

Small panel is located between battery 1 and battery 2.

2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000
5 REPLIES 5

Bruce_Brown
Mr Wizard is correct. The small panel with the 1/2 amp fuse is most likely (99%ish) designed to help keep the starting batteries up while in storage. Many builders did this, including Fleetwood. (All of our Newmars have had it, friends Fleetwood had the same set up. Their MH is gone so I can't get any pictures to help.)

The 3x4 panel wiring would need to be traced out. When I installed ours it goes from panel to controller then directly to the batteries.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
only slightly
my answer is still correct, small solar is a trickle charge for the chassis battery AKA maintainer

the heavy wires 3/0 for inverter, 2/0 from big alternator to batteries
(1) 3*4 solar panel is going to use wire sized between 10ga and 4ga depending on 'who' did the install

Thank you for your response sorry if I came off snarky I have a background in electricity but I am not a tech for RV's. I was hoping someone who had the same coach would chime in about the small controller being the factory original. My understanding is Fleetwood put in the tiny solar panels so they could advertise they had a solar panel even if it was mostly ineffective.

The small trickle charger to me is not needed with the big solar panel. The small fuse that is blown is only 1/2 amp I just wanted to make sure that it was not a control wire for the larger system I am still not sure.

I keep the coach under cover so until I move it I won't know if the solar is putting out anything.

This is a new to me coach bought in Oct. last year I am still learning this thing.

MrWizard
only slightly
my answer is still correct, small solar is a trickle charge for the chassis battery AKA maintainer

the heavy wires 3/0 for inverter, 2/0 from big alternator to batteries
(1) 3*4 solar panel is going to use wire sized between 10ga and 4ga depending on 'who' did the install
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry Mr Wizzard I think you missed the point of my question.

MrWizard
Solar panels don't go inside compartments
Do you mean connected IN compartment
Tiny OEM solar Is battery maintainer for the engine/chassis batteries

House use solar is normally connected to a controller, which then connects to the house batteries, not the inverter-charger
Although it could connect to power buss bars that everything is connected to
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s