Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Satellite TV is Dead, Direct TV just lost 267,000 customers
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Satellite TV is Dead, Direct TV just lost 267,000 customers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next
gemsworld

Arizona West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/19 05:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the pending death of satellite TV is greatly exaggerated.

True, cable and satellite providers have lost cord-cutters customers that have migrated to the internet, but there are millions of people in this country that still have no access to high speed internet service and will continue to subscribe to satellite TV.

As someone that has traveled extensively throughout the country, I can attest access to the internet isn't widely available in many areas, especially in areas where we tend to go camping.

In my opinion, the reason cable and satellites companies keep losing customers has been due to cost, and nothing else. It seems the cable and satellites companies are beginning to listen and some of them are now starting to offer "skinny packages" with lower prices. I, for one, will continue to use Dish TV when going camping since I know for a fact many times I won't be able to get internet or OTA TV where I'm camping.

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/19 05:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gemsworld wrote:

As someone that has traveled extensively throughout the country, I can attest access to the internet isn't widely available in many areas, especially in areas where we tend to go camping.

Satellite TV will not stay open for just a few RV'ers and what few live outside internet service in rural areas..

If the trend continues at 250,000 or more dropping off every 3 months how long do you suppose they can keep there doors open..

I travel in many remote areas and have found internet in many areas, internet is growing monthly in areas there was no internet, its only a matter of time till satellite TV throws in the towel and realize the future for them is dead..

https://youtu.be/9b5_Pdmi3R4

Jfondren3

NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/19 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We stream everything and so far we have not had any issues watching any games streamed live as well. We really only pay for Netflix and everything else is free or I know where to find it for free. An internet connection is my only need. Luckily we try to disconnect as much as possible when we take the camper out.

John

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/19 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jfondren3 wrote:

We stream everything and so far we have not had any issues watching any games streamed live as well. We really only pay for Netflix and everything else is free or I know where to find it for free. An internet connection is my only need. Luckily we try to disconnect as much as possible when we take the camper out.

X2

When I cut the cord over 2 years ago from Direct TV I was paying over a $1000 a year for junk channels, now I pay under $300 a Year for thousands and thousands of channels.

I to avoid TV when camping.

[emoticon]

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/19 05:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

timmac wrote:

MDKMDK wrote:

I'll stick with Shaw Direct for now. I need live (OK, a few seconds of delay, but close enough for my needs) business channels on the road for market and commodity prices in real time. I don't record, and I'm not a prime time comedy/drama TV watcher, except sometimes years later long after the shows are canceled or retired. I also like maybe an occasional sports event live, and live news feeds as well. As far as I know, I can't get real time live channels online via streaming. Yet?

"Wrong" you can get live TV on streaming, even ESPN has gone streaming, streaming channels are growing daily, in fact many local news stations are now streaming and major news stations are streaming, I can be any where in the world and still watch 2 local news channels from Las Vegas where I live and they load new content hourly..

Best part is I don't have to be at the TV to see what is on the news at a certain time, when they upload the content it will be there for me to see at anytime.

Streaming is the new better cheaper way..

[emoticon]

Should have said, "I can't get the exact few channels I need on live stream yet.". Not without paying a fortune up here for what you get for $50/month. Then be able to "port" them south of the border with me when I'm out of country. (see my signature) We don't have "unlimited internet with international roaming" up here in our igloos yet. Might never have, if the CRTC allows our ISPs to run wild on us by over charging us for stuff. Our best plan is something like $50/month for up to 5 GB of data, with financially punitive overage charges. Add some roaming and I'm broke in a week of use. No idea what "G" that's at, either. Probably 3 or 4. Not exactly "unlimited", eh?
[emoticon]

Mike.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/19 06:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

timmac wrote:

I made a prediction on January 2019 that satellite TV will be gone in 2 years, looks like I might be right..

Direct TV just lost 267,000 customers in 3 months and the CEO wants to still raise prices and lower the channels..

Better get yourself a good internet connection for your RV..

Not sure why you felt like you needed to PM me about the incorrect information you are posting to the forum, but as I mentioned to you privately, I don't really care.
Check back with us in 2 years and you will find that we are all still getting service from DTV and DISH.
I doubt 5G will even be fully in place in 2 years but it will take 5G at a minimum to be able to fully utilize the services folks are "planning" to make available. However, by the time 5G rolls out our demand will be so high that it will become just as overloaded and everyone will be demanding 6G.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

starcraft69

northern California(State Of Jefferson)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/19 06:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This whole web cast is about "Direct TV NOW" Not there satellite service. So what numbers of the satellite customers did they gain or lose? To me it is not Apples to Apples Just saying.

2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/19 06:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You dont need 5G for internet, 4G works just fine and its almost everywhere now..

Wake up and smell the coffe folks, dont invest in new satellite equimpment unless the wind blew yours away, cause satellite TV is about to go Bye Bye by end of 2022..

[emoticon]

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/19 06:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

starcraft69 wrote:

This whole web cast is about "Direct TV NOW" Not there satellite service. So what numbers of the satellite customers did they gain or lose? To me it is not Apples to Apples Just saying.

Its Both, Direct TV is trying the streaming part cause there satellite customers are dropping off like fly's by the thousands monthly, they cant even compete with other streaming channels cause of there lame content..

Netflix, Amazon, Sling, YouTube and YouTube TV and many others dominate the streaming channels..

Even Walmart is thinking of going with there own streaming channel and no one can compete with there prices..

Wake up and smell the coffee folks, don't invest in new satellite equipment cause its going Bye Bye..

gemsworld

Arizona West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/19 06:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

timmac wrote:

gemsworld wrote:

Satellite TV will not stay open for just a few RV'ers and what few live outside internet service in rural areas..

If the trend continues at 250,000 or more dropping off every 3 months how long do you suppose they can keep there doors open..

I travel in many remote areas and have found internet in many areas, internet is growing monthly in areas there was no internet, its only a matter of time till satellite TV throws in the towel and realize the future for them is dead..

You say a few?

"...approximately 19 million Americans—6 percent of the population—still lack access to fixed broadband service at threshold speeds. In rural areas, nearly one-fourth of the population —14.5 million people—lack access to this service. In tribal areas, nearly one-third of the population lacks access."

Eighth Broadband Progress Report

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Satellite TV is Dead, Direct TV just lost 267,000 customers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS