Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Small connector on house battery ??
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Small connector on house battery ??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Gundog

Ridgefield, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/19 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am in the process of changing out my house battery bank, I am changing out the battery cables and putting new ends on all the terminals attached to the house battery bank. Most of the terminals are in bad shape.

I have one small set of wires they are very small gauge think phone wire size the wire shield is flat with 5 or 6 different color wires in this flat plastic shield the terminal is falling apart.

I am going to cut the terminal open to check for sure but it looks like all of them are under one connector and attached to a positive terminal of the battery. Does anyone know what this set of wires goes to? Are all the wires in this loom actually connected together and attached to a positive terminal? If I need to I will add a picture of the terminal. I guess I can ohm out the wires since I have cut it off to see if they are connected together.

Thanks Mike

2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000

MountainAir05

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/19 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would guest that it a sensor wire. Mine have it but I have a sensor on the battery. I would also check back into the wire for the main cables. When I did mine a few years back I had corrosion back 6 inches from the cable ends. I Just pull them all out and went and got new cables and started over. Welding shops have the best cable that is flexible.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/19 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WHat you are describing with that 'Flat phone like wire' is the battery temperature sensor. On a guess I'd say you have an inverter/charger not unlike the Xantrex Prosine. the flat 4(or 6) wire cable goes to a jack on it. IT is a Themp sensor.. Very little current flows in it and NONE to/from the battery.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Gundog

Ridgefield, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/19 06:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

WHat you are describing with that 'Flat phone like wire' is the battery temperature sensor. On a guess I'd say you have an inverter/charger not unlike the Xantrex Prosine. the flat 4(or 6) wire cable goes to a jack on it. IT is a Themp sensor.. Very little current flows in it and NONE to/from the battery.

Looks like it goes into the inside of the coach I do have a Xantrex charger after I inspected the wire it is broken in half about a foot from the connector. I am changing out the batteries because they were dry from over charging when I bought the coach last Oct. Do you think this cable being bad could have caused the over charging?

Gundog

Ridgefield, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/19 08:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here are some pictures of the connector & broken wire. I believe you are right this looks like the wire plugged into my Xantrex charger.

[image]

[image]

[image]

Here are some before and after shots of the battery & battery cable change out.

[image]

[image]

MountainAir05

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/19 08:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would check you charger system (xantrex). Should have a trouble shoot tree to follow. MY system was over charging and cost to repair was more than a new one, so everything was replaced.

mtrumpet

Hamburg, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/19 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, that is the battery temp sensor. I have the same on mine. It simply gets tucked down in between the batteries.

Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

shastagary

minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/19 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

xantrex manual if you do not have it 458 manual
you are going to have to replace your temp sensor yours is junk now Battery Temperature Sensor
the temp sensor attaches to a battery terminal and measures its temperature

* This post was edited 03/19/19 07:01pm by shastagary *

shastagary

minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/19 08:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

this is what the temp sensor should do.
Temperature Sensitive Charging When the supplied battery temperature sensor is connected to the unit and the batteries, the charge voltage is controlled based on battery temperature. The charger adjusts the charge voltage to the best level,minimizing water loss in wet cell batteries.Charge voltage regulation optimizes the bat-tery life cycle.

Gundog

Ridgefield, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/19 09:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

shastagary wrote:

this is what the temp sensor should do.
Temperature Sensitive Charging When the supplied battery temperature sensor is connected to the unit and the batteries, the charge voltage is controlled based on battery temperature. The charger adjusts the charge voltage to the best level,minimizing water loss in wet cell batteries.Charge voltage regulation optimizes the bat-tery life cycle.

I have a new sensor ordered I called Xantrex I believe this is why the batteries were over charged. They told me to unplug the wire until I get the new sensor. The sensor is an option but with it plugged in and the wire being severed was probably the problem with over charging. It looks like who ever put in the last battery bank got that wire pinched in the hold down bracket.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Small connector on house battery ??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS