Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: GM Certified Pre Owned 2016
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> GM Certified Pre Owned 2016

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Mikesr

Lebanon Pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/19 05:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Would like some opinions on this deal.
I found a 2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.0 gas with only 20K miles. It’s an LT model with all the extras I would need and it definitely meets my towing needs with its 13K rating.
My questions are about the GM Certified warranty and buying a used truck. The truck price is very reasonable and at a Chevy dealership. They have it priced under KBB and giving me a fair trade on my 2005 2500HD.
Should I be skeptical? The warranty as explained sounds very good. Why would someone trade this truck with only 20K Miles ? I’m thinking a lease or a reposition. The dealer told me it was too big for their needs. I worried the dealer is doing a quick unload. Either way it’s a nice truck and a price we can live with, it’s just my skepticism about the deal or truck being too good to be true.
Opinions welcome. We’ve not dropped a dime on this truck. Yes I’ve checked the area and no 2016 2500HD exists with this low of a mileage at this price.
Thanks in advance

Mike and Donna
2016 Chevy 2500HD
2017 Keystone Outback 325BH

GeoBoy

Southeast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/19 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ask to contact the original owner.

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/19 05:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With a GM warranty I’d buy it.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2019 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/19 06:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds reasonable, contacting the original owner won’t do you much good, may not want to be bothered. Maybe went back to a 1500. Run a car fax, dealer could or you could for about $40.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/19 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought several low mileage “certified used” Chevy Express 3500 vans (no trucks though) for our small business and they were all great.

Some people simply do not put a lot of miles on a vehicle but still want a new one every 2/3/4 years. My son lives about 4 miles from his work. My neighbor lived about 3 miles from his until retirement. Their yearly mileage is very low.

Ralph Cramden

Not on this rag of a forum

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/19 06:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Call up the engine hours.

Could be an off lease truck leased by a road construction contractor. May only have 20,000 miles but has sat 6 days a week with the engine idling the better part of the work day. The dealers are really good at cleaning them up and its not uncommon for them to lock out the engine hour readouts.

2003silverado

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/19 06:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many reasons that truck may be on the lot. I'm guessing its because the original owner found it wasn't big enough for their needs. I have a close friend that bought a gas F-250 knowing he was going to be buying a fifth wheel. Less than a year later he traded it on a F-350 diesel dually AFTER he towed his new fifth wheel once.

I also have a cousin who bought an HD Silverado because it was his idea of a status vehicle, even though he sat behind a desk and had no trailer to tow. He traded it at less than 20k miles once he got sick of paying for fuel and found out the ride wasn't as luxurious as other status vehicles.

I wouldn't be scared of it. Unless it had major accident damage, I can't imagine a dealer is going to try to misleadingly unload a late model vehicle with known problems.

lhenry8113

Cypress or Lake Arrowhead, Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/19 06:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From an RV Dlr. we bought a used 2017 Class C w/ Chevy 450 Chassis, V8 6.0 gas engine, and about 8000 miles on it, last April. Offered about 30% off asking price. Came w/Factory Warranty and Dlr. Warranty. Had been a private owner's vehicle. Have had "No" problems, at all and have put about 3500 miles on it.

04 F250,CC, 4x4, Dsl., LgBd, XLT, SuperDuty, Cmpr Pkg, Off Rd Pkg

07 Arctic Fox 29 5T
Toad Riv B.C.
17 Chev/CLS C F.R. Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

kw/00

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/19 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like something that would work out for you. Just check to make sure no previous accidents. Otherwise if they downsized then that is common. Several people around here purchase 3/4 or 1ton trucks on hoping to pull something in the future..... lol but never do. That may be the case, or the new 1/2 truck tow ratings worked out better for their needs including daily driving. As far as the dealer is concerned they want to unload it because the newer HD trucks will be hitting the market soon, and they always want to have the newest truck available for sale. Regardless should be a great truck, and of course the drivetrain is bulletproof.

A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

jake2250

Sacramento

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/19 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am on my second "Year Leftover", First one was a year old Ferd "Left over" 18K on it (I guess it was a parts runner and lunch getter and daily Lend out), But it was fine and carried a complete "New Truck" warranty! I was happy.
Current truck, a "year left Over" uh huh,, 21K miles on it,, BUT,, a certified Chevy! I was skeptical, Said they would add the Extended New truck warranty on it!
I balked,, said you just don't have a year left over get 21K on it sitting on the lot.
turns out to be a short GM lease truck, BUT they Certified it and extended the Certified Factory warranty but wanted $4500 for that favor!
Drove off the lot with the truck and paid $1100 for the extended Factory Warranty!
Certified means they inspected it and it meets New Truck specs, from what I understand!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> GM Certified Pre Owned 2016
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS