cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2020 Ford F350 - XLT or Lariat / options guidance?

LosAngeles
Explorer
Explorer
2020 Ford F350 - XLT or Lariat / options guidance?

Hi all

First time pickup buyer. We will custom order a 2020 Ford F350 - XLT or Lariat
A Hallmark pop up camper will be in it 99.999 % of the time. Currently learning about what options / packages we want.

A few questions to help guide meโ€ฆ

Do I care about Fog Lamps? (does anyone ever use them?)

Do we care about Pedals: ยญ Power Adjustableโ€ฆ?
My wife and I share driving when going camping.
Do the driver memories recall the Power Pedals?

Do we need to be Lariat to get power seats and power seat memories? I canโ€™t figure this out.

I didnโ€™t see heated and cooled seats listed anywhere on Lariat specsโ€ฆ. do we need to go higher to get heated and cooled seats? ๐Ÿ˜ž

Do we want to get the 4.3 Electronic Locking Axle?
I believe it is much better for climbing mountains with the 2,500+ truck camper on the back, plus cargoโ€ฆ?

If we move to the midwest (a possibility) โ€ฆ would we want the remote start option, so we can warm up the F350 before getting in it?

How hard is it to wire in external lights, light bars, etc to the Ford optional Outfitter Switches?

with the vehicle (below) configured as we like, Ford offers either LT275/70R x 18E BSW A/T 4X4 tires

or for an extra $290, I could get LT275/70R x 18E OWL A/T tires.
what tires should i get?
I would MUCH rather have the tires come from Ford, from the start, and not have to change them out, and sell the stock tires.

By the way - we always use our cell phones for Navigation (Waze or Google Nav) so we have no use for a built in NAV. Any way to somehow NOT get it, to save $?

On our 8 foot bed, with a 9.5 foot Hallmark - the Ford Reverse Sensing System - will it work with 18โ€ overhang of Hallmark, and also the optional Hallmark Storage bins & rear bumper?

* * * * * For what it is worth - this is the type of pickup + options we are looking at: * * *

F-350 - 2020. Custom ordered.
Crew Cab (4 real doors, most space)
6.2L gas
176โ€ Wheelbase (max)
8 foot bed.
4x4
Single Rear Wheel (SRW)

4.3 Electronic Locking Axle (I believe it is much better for climbing mountains with the 2,500+ truck camper on the back, plus cargo)

FX4 Off Road Package (comes with Skid Plates :ยญ Transfer Case and Fuel Tank)

Snow Plow / Camper Package.

11,400 GVWR package (or whatever is max GVWR)

Rear Window - privacy glass.

Medium Duty Battery (a second battery)

Alternator ยญ Extra Extra HeavyยญDuty?
LED Roof Marker/Clearance Lamps?
Front 40/20/40 Split Bench Seats (not front console) so driver can exit passenger side if need be. (this is important to us with our current narrow driveway)

Inflatable Rear Outboard Safety Belts (Crew Cabยฎ) - for our daughter.

Cruise Control?
Power Equipment ยญ Power Door Locks and Windows
Steering Wheel ยญ Audio Controls?Tilt/Telescoping Steering Wheel?
48 Gallon Fuel Tank โ€“ 176" Wheelbase?Integrated Trailer Brake Controller?Trailer Hitch Receiver โ€“ 2.5" Built Ford Toughยฎ Trailer Hitch Receiver (SRW)?
Hill descent would be very nice. A part of tow package I believe.

stuff John REALLY wants:

Adaptive Cruise Control (Lariat I think? Unsure)?
Platform Running Boards (best if Ford does them. Less hassle, and not โ€œmodifiedโ€ $445 2019.)?
SYNCยฎ 3 for Apple Car Play

have been advised to get:
Upfitter Switches $165 in 2019

Thanks!

John
57 REPLIES 57

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
So we bought an 2016 Laramie used it has some very nice features.
Remote start with keyless entry, fob in pocket. Rain sensing wipers, leave on and they come on when it starts to mist.
Seat memory is nice, as is easy exit where the drivers seat slides back to make exit easy.
Heated/cool seats Ford has messaging seats.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
LosAngeles wrote:
Hi all - a related question:

If a city has a maximum curb weight (as defined in the cityโ€™s MOTOR VEHICLE REGULATIONS IN RESIDENTIAL DISTRICTS) of 8,000 lbs wet

How will I stand with a current Ford F350, biggest longest version, with an approx 2,500 lb (wet) Pop Up camper - always on board. Daily driver.

In other words - how would my rig relate to an 8,000 curb weight, the limit for residential vehicles in tat city?

Also in other words - would the (always mounted, daily driver) pop up camperโ€™s weight count towards my curb weight? (in the eyes of the city)

the exact wording in bylaw is :

Any motor vehicle having a curb weight of eight thousand (8,000) pounds or greater. For the purposes of this Section, "curb weight" is defined as the weight of a motor vehicle with standard equipment, fuel, oil, and coolant;

thanks! ๐Ÿ™‚

What other state/city other California consider a pickup over 10,000# automatically โ€œCommercialโ€! I think it is high time in these RVers get politically active and see about changing some of these stupid laws.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

LosAngeles
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Los Angeles, good luck on the local <8klbs regs. BUT read them carefully. If it truly is curb weight and not licensed weight or actual weight, then you're probably ok with a gasser 350 srw but expect to get hassled at least once.
If your town has the 8klb limitation, there may very well be limits on parking RV's in your driveway as well, which even without "RV" plates could get you fined for your plan to daily drive with a camper on.
Your state may license pickups with truck campers as RVs (I believe they do). And it used to be a way to license a pickup without having to get the 6 month inspections since there's no DOT inspections required on RV's. This at the expense of possibly getting a ticket for driving a "RV" tagged vehicle non-recreationally.

Thanks GritDog for all the very good thoughts.

Ironically.... even though a SUPERVISOR told me specifically to my face, recently, at the "DMV" office that there was no way I could get an RV (non-commercial) license plate for a 1 ton truck (11,400 GVWR) that always had a pop up camper mounted to it.....

today I googled it yet one more time, thanks to your prodding... and I quickly found info on our state "DMV" website that it IS possible to do what I want to, and the *supervisor* was seemingly wrong. Ug.

So thanks to you for prodding me more. If I can avoid the twice yearly commercial truck inspections, plus save a few $ on an RV registration, as opposed to a commercial registration (plus i bet my owners insurance would be LESS for an "RV" than a commercial truck....

time will tell, but I have notated the correct, related state code info...

thanks GritDog! ๐Ÿ™‚

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Los Angeles, good luck on the local <8klbs regs. BUT read them carefully. If it truly is curb weight and not licensed weight or actual weight, then you're probably ok with a gasser 350 srw but expect to get hassled at least once.
If your town has the 8klb limitation, there may very well be limits on parking RV's in your driveway as well, which even without "RV" plates could get you fined for your plan to daily drive with a camper on.
Your state may license pickups with truck campers as RVs (I believe they do). And it used to be a way to license a pickup without having to get the 6 month inspections since there's no DOT inspections required on RV's. This at the expense of possibly getting a ticket for driving a "RV" tagged vehicle non-recreationally.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Kayteg1 wrote:
Post your current location and maybe member from the same state will share more experience?
I did the commercial to RV registration back in California and the trick was- it wasn't called "RV". I had to drive to DMV with camper for inspection and they gave it classification name I could never memorize.
So is the same situation possible in your new state?
Las Vegas doesn't have commercial registrations, but they still charge me $600 annually for new truck. Suppose it gets cheaper when truck gets 5 yo.
Can hardly wait.
Than again, Clark County gives refund if you surrender the plate (thing unheard of in CA) so I am paying for 3 months registration in camping season.
Going for 2 months I surrender car plates....

I'll say this as politely as possible. Noone cares how they doo it in CA or NV for the purposes of this thread and the OP's questions. But at least you appear to have accepted that he doesn't live in CA. LOL
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Post your current location and maybe member from the same state will share more experience?
I did the commercial to RV registration back in California and the trick was- it wasn't called "RV". I had to drive to DMV with camper for inspection and they gave it classification name I could never memorize.
So is the same situation possible in your new state?
Las Vegas doesn't have commercial registrations, but they still charge me $600 annually for new truck. Suppose it gets cheaper when truck gets 5 yo.
Can hardly wait.
Than again, Clark County gives refund if you surrender the plate (thing unheard of in CA) so I am paying for 3 months registration in camping season.
Going for 2 months I surrender car plates....

LosAngeles
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Double check with your new DMV office.
They can't force you into commercial registration if you don't want it.
Nevada doesn't have commercial registration for pickups at all, so each state can have quite different laws.
Probably also better to call DMV hotline as local clerks don't deal with such issues very often and per my experience - they don't hesitate to give you wrong information.

I 100% agree with you that often from five different government officials, you will get 5 different answers, and NONE of them are 100% correct. :E

The good news is that I spoke at length with a senior DMV supervisor, in person, (as the desk clerk admittedly wasnt sure) and indeed, there is zero "RV" license for a 1 ton truck, or any large pickup truck that is in the range of GVWR that I want. I think over 10k GVWR makes it commercial. Details do not matter... as I want to get a 1 ton truck to have plenty of GVWR 'overhead'

For 'big box' (actual) RVs yes they do have RV plates.

The GREAT news is that for a 1 ton pickup truck commercial license, the annual fee is about $200.
FAR less than California would be!!! :W

The only small downside that I can not get around is a $20 twice yearly commercial license truck inspection. Takes a few minutes.... yes a pain but just part of the situation. I can't get around it. No big deal. Plenty of approved, private places that do it around here.... oh well.

No, I am not prepared to license the truck in a different state, to get around this, as someone recently suggested. FWIIW.

:B

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Double check with your new DMV office.
They can't force you into commercial registration if you don't want it.
Nevada doesn't have commercial registration for pickups at all, so each state can have quite different laws.
Probably also better to call DMV hotline as local clerks don't deal with such issues very often and per my experience - they don't hesitate to give you wrong information.

LosAngeles
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the very wise words

The update is that we moved out of California - and are soon to get the truck - single rear wheels.

And here they do NOT have a RV plates - it will be commercial - but as it will always have the truck camper in it - and it will be my daily driver - and we have a huge driveway - and I carefully read ALL the city ordinances and I am 100% allowed to park it in our driveway. I confirmed this with a city clerk.

The bylaws are very clear and we totally are ok.

A big long actual RV more than 25โ€™ long is NOT allowed.

Thanks tho. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kayteg1 wrote:
You can register your truck/TC combo as RV, what in CA will save about $500 in annual weight fee, but then you can't drive it without camper and God-forbid use it for material hauling.
On other hand, having commercial registration you are subject to driving via DOT scales.
Never heard about dually making any difference, so I think that part was BS.
Point is, that once you have RV registration- you are off the hook for parking commercially.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
You can register your truck/TC combo as RV, what in CA will save about $500 in annual weight fee, but then you can't drive it without camper and God-forbid use it for material hauling.
On other hand, having commercial registration you are subject to driving via DOT scales.
Never heard about dually making any difference, so I think that part was BS.
Point is, that once you have RV registration- you are off the hook for parking commercially.

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
LosAngeles wrote:
Hi all - a related question:

If a city has a maximum curb weight (as defined in the cityโ€™s MOTOR VEHICLE REGULATIONS IN RESIDENTIAL DISTRICTS) of 8,000 lbs wet

How will I stand with a current Ford F350, biggest longest version, with an approx 2,500 lb (wet) Pop Up camper - always on board. Daily driver.

In other words - how would my rig relate to an 8,000 curb weight, the limit for residential vehicles in tat city?

Also in other words - would the (always mounted, daily driver) pop up camperโ€™s weight count towards my curb weight? (in the eyes of the city)

the exact wording in bylaw is :

Any motor vehicle having a curb weight of eight thousand (8,000) pounds or greater. For the purposes of this Section, "curb weight" is defined as the weight of a motor vehicle with standard equipment, fuel, oil, and coolant;

thanks! ๐Ÿ™‚

You have to be careful on this one. I got bit by Daley City police when I parked my truck and camper outside of my in-laws house for one night. A neighbor complained apparently and parking enforcement came out and gave me a $350 ticket for parking a "commercial vehicle" on city streets in a residential neighborhood. I went straight down to the police HQ and argued with the chief that I wasn't a commercial vehicle, didn't have commercial plates and didn't carry commercial insurance. He pointed out that my truck was a dually and that qualified it as a commercial vehicle. I argued with him for several minutes before he finally relented and tore the ticket up.

About a year later, I had moved down to a suburb of the Bay Area and parked my truck and camper in front of my house. We were in-between trips that where about three weeks apart so I just kept it parked and didn't think much of it. Well another neighbor decided to complain and the city came out and gave me a warning (much nicer than Daley City). There is a 48 hour rule on parking an RV on city streets. Even though in California campers are cargo, it didn't seem to make a difference to the city.

So, with my lessons learned, I think you need to carefully consider the implications of this. You likely won't get cited for just a dually truck if parked on city streets but the moment you put that camper on it, all bets are off and you will be at the mercy of your neighbors or the random parking enforcement officer. You will be taking your chances.

If the reason for your question is because you don't have a place to park said truck and camper package on your property behind a fence, you should start thinking about finding storage elsewhere. I would highly recommend looking for indoor storage (there are some places in LA) since you are making a very large investment and the last thing you want to do is have that investment being beat on by the weather.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
No one can decide for you what options you want.

LosAngeles
Explorer
Explorer
yup I am pretty sure the Lariat comes with remote start. yup i want it for sure, for many reasons (freezing winter, hot summer)

๐Ÿ™‚

Kayteg1 wrote:
I had the switches on my previous truck and originally it was utility bed with crane and generator.
They used only 1 switch for cargo lights.
$150 is not much, I agree, but I also did not like the look of the switches who's only role in the past was dust catching.
So no switches on new truck.
IMHO spending the $150 on electric heater is much better choice, but then - we do different things with our trucks...
I hope truck comes with remote start?
Love the option who will start the engine from 1/4 mile, so by the time I walk via 130F parking lot, the cabin is chilled.

LosAngeles
Explorer
Explorer
K Mac wrote:
Surprised nobody mentioned, roof lights reflecting off TC (annoyed me on my last truck) and I love the keypad on drivers door, can't remember if it was std.,or came w/ pkg.

Thanks a lot K Mac - I never would have thought of the marker lights reflecting off the truck camper cab-over-bed ... but yes, they would, and that would be really annoying for night time driving. As much as I want the marker lights, I'll delete them from my list. Thanks for helping me not make this mistake! a huge help. ๐Ÿ™‚

and

i am quite sure the Lariat has the keypad drivers door. For camping with the family it will be helpful for our kid to get into a locked truck easily, and as a backup if we hide a key in the truck cab somewhere.