Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Yosemite/Kings Canyon/Sequoia National Parks
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Yosemite/Kings Canyon/Sequoia National Parks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
alesis

Detroit area

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/19 12:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey y'all-
I already asked for some input on our big summer trip, but plans have changed with the wife's new job.

We now have about 10 days (late June/early July) and want to visit the parks above. My initial checking seems there isn't really one place to make a home base to day trip to these parks.

We're going to fly and either get cabins/hotel so we have 7 full days to check out the area.

Is there somewhere that's a good base to see at least 2 of the parks as day trips, or better to stay near each for a couple nights?

We're just trying to figure out the best way to visit all 3. Thanks in advance!

Jerry

TV : 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins diesel
TT : 2015 Jayco Jay Flight 32TSBH
Equal-I-Zer hitch system

http://community.webshots.com/user/detroitfd

TenOC

On the road -- Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/19 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kings Canyon is good for a one day trip unless you are a hiker. Yosemite is full of visitors and no parking by 10:00 AM.

We stayed at the NP campgrounds at Sequoia a few days and then camped outside the north entry of Yosemite.

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/19 01:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you haven't already made reservations for IN Yosemite, you're probably too late, we were too late also in '15, so we stayed at The Forks CG at Bass Lake, quite a drive into Yosemite, (49 mi.).
For Kings Canyon & Sequoia we stayed at Sequoia RV Resort,( personally think the term RESORT was a bit of a stretch ) outside the parks, it's the closest place with FHU's and at 90+ degrees, we were happy, a real experience getting to but worked well for us.

2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

maddog348

Bakersfield,CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/19 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are flying in (to where??) ~~ Will you be renting a car OR an RV..

JM2¢ ~~ YMMV

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/19 10:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are flying in, and not camping, check out Montecito Sequoia Lodge -- it is in between Kings and Sequoia. Lots to do. But not at all fancy. Very rustic.

If you want fancy, try the Wuksachi Lodge near Sequoia.

Personally, I would avoid Yosemite at that time of year -- hot and crowded. But opinions may differ. Kings/Sequoia is higher and cooler, with great groves of huge trees, great hiking, etc.

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Busskipper

Arnold,Md/Superior, CO

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/19 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

profdant139 wrote:

If you are flying in, and not camping, check out Montecito Sequoia Lodge -- it is in between Kings and Sequoia. Lots to do. But not at all fancy. Very rustic.

If you want fancy, try the Wuksachi Lodge near Sequoia.

Personally, I would avoid Yosemite at that time of year -- hot and crowded. But opinions may differ. Kings/Sequoia is higher and cooler, with great groves of huge trees, great hiking, etc.

^^^^^^ GOOD ADVICE^^^^^^

Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
MDX-FMCA--M&G Brake
States traveled in this Coach

JAC1982

Brighton, CO

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/19 05:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I grew up in Visalia. If I wanted to get a good feel for Sequoia National Park, I'd stay in Silver City in Mineral King. The drive there kind of stinks because it's very windy and narrow, but it's so beautiful up there. Silver City is a resort "town" with various types of cabins you can rent, from basic hiker's cabins, to "lodge style". https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g143050-d674142-Reviews-Silver_City_Mountain_Resort-Sequoia_and_Kings_Canyon_National_Park_California.html

For Kings Canyon, there are some lodges near Wilsonia and Grant Grove Village, or you can also look up near Hume Lake. Keep in mind Hume Lake is a busy Christian summer camp during the summer though, so while the homes you would rent are private, there's lots of kids running around (I was one of them 25-30 years ago ha ha).

If you want somewhere quiet to just relax, I enjoy Huntington Lake. You can't really get to the tourist destinations from there but it's beautiful and quiet and cool.

As for Yosemite, well, like others have said, it's hot and crowded in the summer, but if you're on a "one in a life time" type of trip, it's worth going. You can stay outside of the park in some of the smaller towns like Oakhurst or Fish Camp to get away from the crowds a bit. Or, if you want to go all out for a night or two, you can stay at The Majestic aka The Ahwahnee Hotel. It's beautiful and historic and right in the middle of it all... but get ready to get out your wallet for that one.

2017 Keystone Impact 351
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch

2019 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn
2016 Ford Explorer Sport 3.5 Eco-Boost
2015 Polaris RZR 900S

alesis

Detroit area

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/19 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

maddog348 wrote:

If you are flying in (to where??) ~~ Will you be renting a car OR an RV..

JM2¢ ~~ YMMV

Flying into wherever makes sense and renting car. We love camping but its not realistic w/ the short time frame we have. The drive would be about 3 days each way so it doesn't make sense in a 10 day trip.

alesis

Detroit area

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/19 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So guys, I've been checking and it looks like there aren't many options below $500/night cabin rentals.

I'm looking for a hotel or camper rental, probably one near Yosemite and another near Sequoia. Sound right? Any good options y'all know of?

lewisr

Howell, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/19 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might think about renting a condo or Air BnB near Fresno. An hour or so commute to Kings and Sequoia a couple hours to Yosemite. Would save a lot on meals etc. We are headed to San Francisco next week and planning a day trip to Yosemite.

'14 F-150 Super Crew 3.5EB 3.73
'19 Heritage Glen 282RK

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Yosemite/Kings Canyon/Sequoia National Parks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS