cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can't get my Weber grill to cook quickly, Low flame

lamopar
Explorer
Explorer
I have my Weber grill hooked up directly to a conection on my trailer with a hose that was assembled for me at the gas place. Not a quick connect but screw together. My grill runs super low and constantly shuts off. I cant' get it to run correctly. Has anyone else had this problem? Iti is killing me trying to cook steaks.

Please help me on this one.
37 REPLIES 37

lamopar
Explorer
Explorer
Just a follow up on the grill problem. I had the high pressure fittings on the hose and it was the problem. I ordered a new line with quick connects and valves and installed them. I have full flame and the grill works geat now. It was nice to be able to cook steaks quickly and burgers as well.

Thanks again for all your help on this problem. It is nice to learn from others.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
lamopar wrote:
Thanks! I think I know the problem now. I'm going to get new lines and try this again. I bet the BBQ works much better after that!

Which is what I described back on Page 2 of this discussion. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

lamopar
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! I think I know the problem now. I'm going to get new lines and try this again. I bet the BBQ works much better after that!

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, as CA traveler said, those fittings are meant to be used with high pressure, not low. That's the exact type of hose/fittings that I use to attach my BBQ to my RV, but my setup comes off the high pressure side (before the RV regulator) and I still use the regulator at the BBQ.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

lamopar
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, the low-pressure side. That makes sense the connections are high-pressure fittings and restricting the flow. I think I will bypass the shop and buy my stuff directly and build it. I didn't know the fittings are high pressure and would reduce the gas flow.

I have all the parts for the grill and I am the one who took the regulator off the grill. I can put it back together to make it work with a little bottle. It may be easier to test it myself first to make sure there is no problem with the adjustable flame valve on the grill but it has never worked right since it was modified.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
lamopar wrote:
The connection is near the front of the trailer, right off the main line coming from the bottles. The connector on the trailer is just like the top of a bottle (1 lb portable like from Coleman) and the hose end with the little protrusion goes into the connector. Same where the two hoses connect.
By "main line" you mean bottles are connected to the regulator and then the main line - right? That is the low pressure "main line".

You have high pressure connectors for the hoses and connectors however. I'd bet the smaller orifices on the high pressure connectors are restricting your low pressure flow.

Go back to the propane shop and if they balk insist that they restore the BBQ so that you can demonstrate how it should work.

I would have large reservations about your propane shop but I'm certainly not a propane expert.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

lamopar
Explorer
Explorer
Well, that didn't work like I thought it would. Here is another photo. This is the end of the hose coming off the grill. Also, the hose that connects to the trailer and the hose end coming off the grill.

lamopar
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry I didn't have pics available. I have attached them below. Now I hope this works! As I stated, all the connections are exactly the same as the connection on the top of the 1 lb bottle. I tried to take a picture of the line but it is too dark. The connection is near the front of the trailer, right off the main line coming from the bottles. The connector on the trailer is just like the top of a bottle (1 lb portable like from Coleman) and the hose end with the little protrusion goes into the connector. Same where the two hoses connect.

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Without pics of the OP's actual setup, we are all just guessing at the issue. We need to see both ends of the hose, the hookup at the grille, the hookup at the trailer, and clarification of WHERE the line is tapped into the trailer's system (before or after the trailer regulator).
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
I've had the reg removed from my Weber for 12 years and it has worked fine. I do have my Jayco dealer move the gas line to the front of the awning as I BBQ in the rain and it is nice having the awning above me. I fact seems like when I want to BBQ (several times a week) it wants to rain.... LOL
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
That connector is the standard 1lb 1" 20 tpi high pressure bottle connector.

Can you connect the 1 lb bottle to the grill and then to the long hose? And how does the grill work? Might help to isolate the problem.

I can run any grill from my RV or any grill from a 1 lb bottle with my hoses and adapter. OK Flame suit on as I'm sure someone will tell be about a 100K BTU propane BBQ ... ๐Ÿ™‚
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

lamopar
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
Removing the original Weber regulator on these BBQs is pretty straightforward and I can't imagine a BBQ/propane shop doing something wrong, but you never know.

Below is what our Weber Q looks like which has the regulator removed for connection to the low pressure piping under the TT. I used a short "whip". I also used 3/8" dia. hose and not 1/4". Our hose is the flexible rubber jacketed type which is easy to coil up and is longer than 10' (20' IIRC)..

Our Weber heats up pretty quickly and maintains good heat, as long as the lid is kept closed. Is your Weber an older one? If so, maybe it needs the orifices cleaned? Are the furnace, water heater and stove working fine? I find that I usually have to open the valve for a bit to purge out any air in the hose.

My connection looks very similar to yours except I don't have the quick release. Mine hoses connect using the same style connection like the one that attaches to the little gas bottle. My grill is the Weber 200 or 2000 unit. A white lid on it. It is about 4 years old. Everything in the camper works perfectly.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
turbojimmy wrote:
You can't operate some grills or outdoor LP appliances without their regulator.

Doesn't apply to the Weber Q series of grills as the regulator can easily be removed while leaving the gas control in place, making it an ideal candidate for modification to run directly off a low pressure gas feed.

Iโ€™m aware. My point was that a feed off the high pressure side offers more versatility.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
turbojimmy wrote:
You can't operate some grills or outdoor LP appliances without their regulator.

Doesn't apply to the Weber Q series of grills as the regulator can easily be removed while leaving the gas control in place, making it an ideal candidate for modification to run directly off a low pressure gas feed.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380