Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AUXILiARY FUEL TANK

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
Good afternoon from chilly central FL.
I know I have asked this question before. I have entered the words in the search box, but no results.
Those of you that have added a AUXILiARY FUEL TANK.
Which one did you purchase?
Did you do the install yourself?
I am giving serious thought of putting one on the tuck this spring.
Your thoughts both pro and con.
Brenda and Bill
2020 Lance 1172, our traveling rig
2013 Heartland Landmark Mesa, 40', fifth wheel, we keep at our snowbird home in central FL, Bushnell, FL.
2014 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD, CC, 4x4, LB, duals, DuraMax
122 REPLIES 122

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Current diesel 2.65 - 3.49 in Albuquerque, current in my city 3.30 so I stopped and topped off truck & transfer tank. Check your city
http://www.albuquerquegasprices.com/index.aspx?fuel=D
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Not the first time for me to say this. We bought our truck in Dec 04. Had a custom tank made and installed in March of 05. Reason was to have it from the start and not wait for the truck to getolder and then get the tank.

We feel it was a smart purchasa and have enjoyed not having to fuel where it isn't handy. How ever our truck is for towing for the winter season only. garage queen in the summer.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
packnrat wrote:
sad part of a extra supply of fuel.
is the cost to fill it.
i just put in $190.usd. but the extra tank was empty and the main tank had fuel in it.
interesting point, somehow i got 37 gallons in my extra tank? (lable says 35 or 36 full) but then i did round the dollar amount off a bit. and my sight tube says i still have two inches to the physical top of the tank.
but now for a good three weeks of not having to buy a drop of diesel fuel.

Not sure Iโ€™d say that is sad since the extra capacity letโ€™s you drive past higher priced places to fill up. Just a thought.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
packnrat wrote:
is the cost to fill it.
i just put in $190.usd. but the extra tank was empty and the main tank had fuel in it.
interesting point, somehow i got 37 gallons in my extra tank? (lable says 35 or 36 full) but then i did round the dollar amount off a bit. and my sight tube says i still have two inches to the physical top of the tank.

What's really the difference? Pay many times or only once, still costs the same unless the price goes up or down between fillups

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
is the cost to fill it.
2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

MikeRP
Explorer
Explorer
packnrat wrote:
i just have a cheap 36 gallon from tractor supply. i had to add in one bung so i could have a sight tube. but i just flip a man valve to gravity drain into the factory tank. but i did weld in a connection to the factory fuel inlet (yes it was off the truck for this). and yes a fuel filter in this assembly.
O and i did add in a grounding strap, needed?? i get a lot of static discharges. can hurt at times.

i went cheap and simple.

Yes you need to get a good ground connection on the tank and usually that happens with the screws that hold it in place. Otherwise you need to get a wire from the tank to a clean part of the frame.

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
Good cold morning form soth of St. Louis, MO. Should have stayed in the south longer. LOL
The install for the RDS 71783 RDS fith wheel tank is complete. Easy install. This is the 63 gal. tank. It will be nice to have that fuel on board. Now will stop when we want to.Probably after setting up at a cg.And it looks great. I will post photo when this computer goes to the photo gallery correctly.
Brenda and Bill
2020 Lance 1172, our traveling rig
2013 Heartland Landmark Mesa, 40', fifth wheel, we keep at our snowbird home in central FL, Bushnell, FL.
2014 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD, CC, 4x4, LB, duals, DuraMax

nremtp143
Explorer
Explorer
MikeRP wrote:
I guess I should have looked here first! But I just bought a 46 gallon tank from ATI. Itโ€™s the #Aux 46.

I have a B&W companion slider hitch on the Ram puck system and this was one of the few tanks I could find that fit in the front of the hitch and underneath my tonneau cover.

It is gravity fed. Anyway, let me know if I made a bad decision or not?

Thanks!

I don't see anything wrong with wanting to carry more fuel. I use an ATI51 in my dually. Love the setup. To each his own. You'll be glad you have it..
2016 Montana 3790RD, Legacy Edition, G614s, TST TPMS
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS
2013 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4, Edge CTS, B&W Companion, Viair 10007 Air System, Firestone Air Bags
2001 Excursion Limited 7.3L 4x4, V/B Springs
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CCLB 8.1L/Allison 4x4

MikeRP
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I should have looked here first! But I just bought a 46 gallon tank from ATI. Itโ€™s the #Aux 46.

I have a B&W companion slider hitch on the Ram puck system and this was one of the few tanks I could find that fit in the front of the hitch and underneath my tonneau cover.

It is gravity fed. Anyway, let me know if I made a bad decision or not?

Thanks!

Crodad
Explorer
Explorer
I got mine from Here. This is the only place I found a tank I needed. I wanted it to be below the rails of the truck so I could close my Tonneau cover and I wanted about 45 gallons of fuel.

I brought to a shop to be installed. Mine is gravity fed. I have a shutoff valve on the tank. It drains directly into the tank. no need for a pump.

I purchased this because I hated going to gas stations with the %th wheel. most places are tight to get into. I don't like using truck stop pumps either. To much trouble going in leaving my credit card, pumping, going back in and paying. Now I only need to fill in the evening when we get to our destination.
2015 F-250 PSD 4x4 XLT
2016 Silverback 31RK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALAZARCOFLIDLAMSMTNVNMTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
sljohnson1938 wrote:
hi - I did not read all the replies, so I might repeat someone.
I do not have it now, but I got a 100 gallon "L" shape tank from Tractor Supply, also got a 12v pump to transfer tank to tank. Worked great for me.

80 gallon L
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
There should be enough room. Too be sure measure from the hitch to the front of the bed. Then check the dimensions of the tank you want to buy

Fishwater
Explorer
Explorer
packnrat wrote:
Fishwater wrote:
We have a short bed, how many folks are running an auxiliary tank with a short bed? Iโ€™m not sure if thereโ€™s enough room for a smaller auxiliary tank forward of the hitch?

short bed here 35 gallon i believe is the listed cap. and plenty of room between the tank and hitch.

On my 2015 F-350 short bed itโ€™s a 26 gallon tank which is absolutely pathetic but it is what it is so Iโ€™ll be adding an auxiliary tank, just want to be sure thereโ€™s room. At the moment Iโ€™m torn between the ATI 30 gallon tank which doesnโ€™t take up much room & leaves room for storage on top or a tool box set up with 40-60 gallons. The reality is that Iโ€™ll probably never need more than 30 gallons & I barely use the truck unless Iโ€™m towing so not sure about keeping fuel in the auxiliary tank long term.