cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone use insect (tick) yard spray before they set up camp?

brianosaur
Explorer
Explorer
Our local county park out here on the east end of Long Island is swarming with ticks. We usually do our local weekender trips 2x a month and it seems like its getting worse every year.

On one of the first warm trips last year we found several of them on us and at least a half dozen on my Labrador every day . Luckily he's a yellow so they are easy to spot. However, it got exhausting, and creepy, to be on such high alert the entire time. We did use bug tick repellent and dog's on Fipronil (Frontline).

DW said she is NEVER going back to our favorite local campground unless something changes.

So I went to Home Depot and bought a $8 bottle of insect yard spray that connects to a hose, and I convinced her to give it one last shot.

After we backed in, I sprayed the ENTIRE site. I used the entire bottle. I over sprayed as much as possible and the guy next to me asked to hit his site a bit.

I probably did a 50x50 area or more. The woodsy leafy area behind the site got extra spray.

The result? Not one tick on us for three days. I saw one on the camp rug. That's it. None on the dog. None on us. We still sprayed deet on our clothes & Used natural spray and oils on the dog. DW uses Rose geranium oil on him and some natural cinnamon lavender-ry spray concoction.

Rest of the summer we did it another 5 or 6 times. Worked like a charm everytime.

Anyway, not sure if its frowned upon by park management but I really DGAS. I frown on lymes disease so I am using it.
24 REPLIES 24

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
We use Frontline or similar product on our dog, works great. Kills ticks, keeps camper and house flea-free.

I've never had an issue with DEET products. I use less powerful spray when I think it will be enough, use more powerful if hiking in woods. Some non-DEET products kinda sorta work, and we have those on hand for people who are anti-DEET.

We do also use a bunch of citronella candles when we are hanging outside at the picnic table at night. I am never sure how well those work... but they smell nice, and anything to help.

I'm of two minds about broadcast spraying insecticide on property you don't own. On one hand, I'm all for killing insects that are out to bite me. On the other hand, I fully agree with people who don't want someone broadcast spraying chemicals right next to them.

My suggestion if you want to spray your campsite would be to check with the campground management, and ask your neighbors - they may very well ask you to spray their site as well.

vipar
Explorer
Explorer
DilanYah wrote:
I use both DEET and Permethrin. As mentioned aboveโ€ฆ

1. DEET is for you (i.e. exposed skin areas โ€” or areas under thin garments)

2. Permethrin โ€” for your clothing (including socks) and gear (e.g. boots, tent)

3. Tick protection from ***Link Removed*** for my lab

It isgreat
thanks

vipar
Explorer
Explorer
Is it safe for pets?

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We usually spray home defense when setting up camp but recently had to use anything we could find for ants! We were in TX and had our first encounter with Argentine Ants ! OMG - you don't ever want them. They have multiple queens with each queen having 1,000 workers. Forgot to spray and in the am our rig had thousands inside on the dash behind the drapes. We were at a COE park and they are working with pesticide companies to find something that will work as a long term deterrent on them, not just kill directly. They were also at the next park we went to. We fought them for a week and made sure we sprayed any time we saw one moving anywhere on the outside of the rig at the 2nd park and avoided infestation. They even drop out of the trees onto the top of the rig -- they don't bite, but go after food with hundreds being on 1 little crumb you miss. On a good note - they are predators for fire ants - will make them move away.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Doing some research on ticks can go a long way. Most ticks survive in their nymph form by living on smaller rodents. Mice and chipmunks for example. There is a product out called Tick Tubes that you put out in your yard. These basically have cotton balls or other fibrous material in them that has been treated with permethrin. The idea is that the little rodents take the fibrous material to use for nesting. This kills off the tick nymphs reducing the population at the source. The commercial tick tubes are not cheap but you can make a very affordable version out of toilet paper tubes/paper towel tubes. Make a few of these up before you go to the problem area. Hide them in protected areas around the campsite. Preferably under a rock or log so they don't get rained on. They won't help you this time. But when you go back there should be a reduction in ticks in the area.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wanderlost wrote:
Well said, Crowe, well said.

X2!
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Well said, Crowe, well said.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
I've stayed quiet on this subject for fear of causing an uproar but after reading this thread again I am saddened at the number of people who don't care about killing beneficial insects or polluting the environment with insecticides. One poster has even said he would lie to cover up his tracks. Very sad. What makes y'all think you have the right to destroy nature? It's also unfair to gas someone out in a campsite near you who may be asthmatic or allergic to the spray, or for the next family that uses the site. There are a myriad of ways to take personal responsibility to repel bugs from humans and pets. Use them.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using some all natural yard spray up north, can't remember the name. It smells like lemon. Have used Raid Yard Guard in the past.

There is supposed to be some type of garlic yard spray that will keep mosquitoes away for a month.

Dernhelm
Explorer
Explorer
Coming late to this thread, but tick season is still here and flea season is really getting rolling.

We use Frontline on the dogs when we camp because some other brands aren't recommended for dogs prone to seizures. It really works - fun to actually watch the ticks running to get OFF the dog.

We never use essential oils on the dogs - see lots of professional veterinary literature on how hard they are on cats & dogs, especially their livers.

We don't use the tick/flea pills on the dogs for 2 reasons:
The first is that they don't repel the buggers, and I want them to not even attach. The second is that we live in southern Nevada where we simply don't have a problem with them locally. When we lived in Southern CA we used both Frontline and Program with great results.

I use Sawyer permethrin on my clothes. I'm allergic to practically everything and have no trouble with it. I also use DEET sprays (usually OFF or related brands) on myself.

One of my travel mates swears by putting up his tent, spraying the interior with DEET and then having coffee while it settles. He then unrolls his sleeping bag and voila - tick, flea and mosquito free sleeping area.
Dogmom, Railfan, Dancer
Co-Pilots: Nimrodel & Beren
DOTLs: Spcs. Bortan, Dernhelm & Erkenbrand, Rainbow Div. 11/11, 2/09, 1/14
Jayco 17Z, GMC Yukon, GMC Canyon
There's a whole pack waiting for me at the Bridge - I'll have to take a lot of tennis balls!

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
I use permethrin on my clothes, and dose the dogs with Bravecto. No flea or tick problems, and no killing all of the beneficial insects along with the few problem ones.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

brianosaur
Explorer
Explorer
BCSnob wrote:
I wonder what the public would say if a farmer exceeded application rates of an insecticide?

They would say, "I am glad he isn't growing food at my local campground because it would be infested with ticks."

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
this is from the product information for this spray: โ€œDo not apply more than 14 times per year per locationโ€.

Hopefully the camp site where this was applied meets the product label: โ€œIn New York State, this product may not be applied to lawns within 100 ft of a coastal marsh, or stream that drains directly into a coastal marsh.โ€œ

if everyone using this same camp site applied at the start of their stay the product application rate would quickly be exceeded. I wonder what the public would say if a farmer exceeded application rates of an insecticide?
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

chrisnpat
Explorer
Explorer
Another Home defense user, works great and no critters on us or doggies.
Christine and Patrick
Cocker Spaniels
Trevor and two Fosters Kahlua and Blossom
Life is What happens to you while your busy making plans.