Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dr Doug cbd oil verus pain meds

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
Afternoon Doc, and Members

As I, was getting ready to send this, I realized CBD oil may not be legal in your state. So you may have no clinical experience. or personal owner experience

But if you do, and for, other members, does anyone have any thoughts on cbd oil (oral) as opposed to Rx pain meds. In reference to a 15 year old lab mix, with advanced arthritis? Which seemed to help the dog the most? Pain meds come with there own set of problems, where as cbd oil seems pretty begin

Thank You All for your time
17 REPLIES 17

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Tried Kanibi brand for a couple months; me, wife and son, none of us saw any differance. That is supposed to be the top brand ...............
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Waldenverney
Explorer
Explorer
I think you should use CBD, first of all it's natural, and doesn't harm your health. You can CBD in different situations and it will help. You can easily find CBD oil on the Internet. Personally, I buy CBD oil on this website https://www.healthcanal.com/best-cbd-oil/arthritishttps://www.healthcanal.com/best-cbd-oil/arthritis,I can really recommend it. I used CBD oil last month, I had some back pain, and you know what it really helped, so don't be scared and try this CBD oil, you won't regret. Hope you will find my message useful, and you will make the right decision.

Nv_Guy
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here in NV vets can't talk to pet owners about CBD, but vet techs can. Our vet's office has a specific tech who has been trained in CBD therapy and can make recommendations.
As had been said, CBD is not a guaranteed cure all, but it does have its success stories. We haven't tried CBD, as Duramax seems to work OK for our arthritic dog.

dturm
In a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study published in the Journal of Immunology, dogs with osteoarthritis improved after being given cannabidiol for four weeks. Mobility and signs of pain did not improve in dogs given a placebo or a low dose of CBD, but both improved significantly in dogs given the highest CBD dose or a CBD liposomal formulation, study leader Matthew Halpert said.

Link to story

This is the best kind of research and results are significant. Stay tuned for further information in the next year as more studies come to light.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

keepmotoring
Explorer
Explorer
pconroy328 and Dr. Doug, that is why i like the Ellevet CBD oil from my vet. It gives dogs weight and how much you should use. I dont have the original box right now but I believe the first two weeks it is a higher dosage twice a day, then it is reduced. I beleive we started Andy on 5 drops 2x daily for 2 weeks. It is now 3 drops 2x daily. She is 7/8 lbs. I rarely have to give it to him 2x daily now. This just my experience with the Ellevet CBD oil.
LUVRVN

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Even among humans, there is no drug that works on everybody. And some peopleare over sensitive to some drugs. If I take 1/5 of a Vicodin I stop breathing, but CBD has no effect on me. (Other friends tried the CBD from my bottle and it worked great on them, so I know it's me and not the ingredients.)

I assume all of this applies to dogs, too. All you can do is try it.

CBD is considered to be extremely non-toxic, at least in humans. But that's true for the opiates, too.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
I did read an article that was aimed at CBD Oil for pets. It stated in testing that many of the product did not even contain any CBD Oil at all. Use reputable sources only.

That’s true for dietary supplements in general. Since they are not regulated or monitored, it’s hard to know if you are getting what is on the label.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

dturm
pconroy328 wrote:
dturm wrote:

It can and does work, but we don't really know effective doses and doses that create side effects.

This would be my concern. I tried it for hip pain. But I started with 80mg, then 250 then 750 (if I recall correctly).

I have no idea how you'd assess dosage for an animal other than using some rough correlation on body weight.

Many many people up here swear by it as a Miracle Drug.
I have no opinion one way or the other.

This is why the studies going on now are important. These studies evaluate different doses their effectiveness, side effects and other effects that may not be grossly apparent on various body systems and organs.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
dturm wrote:

It can and does work, but we don't really know effective doses and doses that create side effects.

This would be my concern. I tried it for hip pain. But I started with 80mg, then 250 then 750 (if I recall correctly).

I have no idea how you'd assess dosage for an animal other than using some rough correlation on body weight.

Many many people up here swear by it as a Miracle Drug.
I have no opinion one way or the other.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did read an article that was aimed at CBD Oil for pets. It stated in testing that many of the product did not even contain any CBD Oil at all. Use reputable sources only.

keepmotoring
Explorer
Explorer
Winnietrey, we use ElleVet CBD oil on our dog for anxiety since June, 2019. We get it from our vet office. It does extremely well for our dog. I believe it can do well for many dogs on many issues. However I also believe many stores do not have the real thing and that is where the problem is. ElleVet is made in Portland, ME. I think they have a website. Andy is a rescue so we do not know his background except he was found in a cage in the woods. ElleVet does not make him lethargic it just calms him. Wish you luck. Our pets are family and all of us wants the best for them.
LUVRVN

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
OP here:

Anecdotal evidence, does it work? I think so. When I give it to him, I tend to think he moves better. End of the day, after consulting with the Vet, decided to go, with tramadol and the cbd oil prn. ( the nsaids just seem to have to many side effects , for an older dog, in my humble opinion. Just tried the tramadol today. It will be interesting to compare my perceived results, between the two. Life would be much better if he could talk, then I would know the answer

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
We have three friends who use it for their pets and 4 others on themselves. This (although not cheap) has been the one they have seen the best results with.
PURE cbd
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
We have new neighbors with an obnoxious large dog that has made our Lulu (doxie mix)into a quivering mass 24/7. We tried CBD oil for treatment of anxiety on the recommendation of a pet supply store owner who seemed to think it was the ultimate thing. After a month we discontinued using it, since it seemed to have no effect, and Lulu hated taking it. I know the OP asked about pain relief, but just my 2 cents worth.
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue