cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Oaxaca Camping

jtomich4
Explorer
Explorer
Is the San Felipe camp ground outside of Oaxaca open again? Or what about that scuzzy downtown camp? Any other? Going there soon. Thanks,
11 REPLIES 11

ykphil
Explorer
Explorer
I spent a week at the Oaxaca campground last February. I liked the location and easy access to Oaxaca Centro by colectivo. Del and his wife will be away for the summer but someone is taking care of the place in their absence.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
We use the oaxaca campground south of Oaxaca for caravans

jtomich4
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions. Others met along the way mostly speak well of both of those places. Weโ€™ve enjoyed the two since closed parks mentioned in the past and it looks as if we must now move forward.

MikeJinCO
Explorer
Explorer
Overlanderoasis.com

MikeJinCO
Explorer
Explorer
We were at the OverlanderOasis in January. It is small, there were 5 rigs in there and we were the largest at 25' and it was a tight fit. They work primarily with the overlanders, we had a great time with people from Belqium, Netherlands and GB there at the time. It is in Tule about 3 blocks off the main road and colectivos or taxis into Oaxaca are easy. The street food in Tule is great. Call before showing up to check on space availability.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
www.oaxacacampground.com

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
Current as of 2017.... click here

MnMex90
Explorer
Explorer
I know of some people who were at Oaxaca Campground, 18 Km from Centro, in January. They have a good website.

jtomich4
Explorer
Explorer
One time we spent a couple of weeks at the San Felipe Trailer Park in the hills above Oaxaca. Rows and rows and rows of thorn tipped agave plants grew there, like a vineyard. They called them maguey, and after some number of years they harvested the pina in the center of the plant and cooked it in the ground. The smokey fermented distilled liquor that resulted was bottled with a scorpion (imported from China) and was exported under the Scorpion brand.

The proprietor, a Mexican-American from California, kept a garafone of the finished product just inside his front door and would siphon out a half litre into your bottle for two or three bucks. It was drinkable. Not sure when they went out of biz.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
As rundown as the Oaxaca Trailer park was we always enjoyed our stays there! I am pretty sure someone posted that it is now closed. There is another spot but it is small. I do not remember the name. Popular with van campers. We never stayed there. Maybe Tequila can tell us where the Caravans go??

Moisheh

Talleyho69
I'm curious too. The Oaxaca Trailer Park in town is rather a dump, but oh so convenient. Hope it's still open.

My sweetie is spending tonight in Santa Rosa. Back home here to paradise manana.