cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

registration

tdgulfstream
Explorer
Explorer
im in calif, im looking to buy a Fleetwood class a that's in calif, 3 hours from here, BUT, the motorhome is still registered in New Jersey,
for this year, my question is, the calif smog emission stickers needed from the factory, what would have to be done to register it in calif , besides having to pass smog, it might cost a bit of money to transfer to calif specs, any ideas? , Thanks
9 REPLIES 9

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
tdgulfstream wrote:
actually it was a non issue, seller changed from his fathers name from New Jersey to his name in calif and smogged it this morning , I went to look at it, it was slightly worn more than I wanted overall, BUT , when I lifted the dog house, lots of pellets of I guess mice poop , on the transmission and the intake manifold, but what was worse was the rust everywhere, the manifold and throttle body tubes (?) it had banks headers which were rusty, the original shocks and suspension and muffler was rusty, I laid on the ground to look under the body and suspension , just look too rusty for me. I was concerned that the mice might be chewing on wires that you can't see also . we'll just keep looking !

Thanks for the update, sounds like you made the right decision.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
sounds like you did right.
but in ca the seller is required to provide a current (under 30 days) smog paperwork.

proving passed a ca smog test, not fed level testing.
2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

tdgulfstream
Explorer
Explorer
actually it was a non issue, seller changed from his fathers name from New Jersey to his name in calif and smogged it this morning , I went to look at it, it was slightly worn more than I wanted overall, BUT , when I lifted the dog house, lots of pellets of I guess mice poop , on the transmission and the intake manifold, but what was worse was the rust everywhere, the manifold and throttle body tubes (?) it had banks headers which were rusty, the original shocks and suspension and muffler was rusty, I laid on the ground to look under the body and suspension , just look too rusty for me. I was concerned that the mice might be chewing on wires that you can't see also . we'll just keep looking !

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
tdgulfstream wrote:
im in calif, im looking to buy a Fleetwood class a that's in calif, 3 hours from here, BUT, the motorhome is still registered in New Jersey,
for this year, my question is, the calif smog emission stickers needed from the factory, what would have to be done to register it in calif , besides having to pass smog, it might cost a bit of money to transfer to calif specs, any ideas? , Thanks

Let us know what the final outcome of this is. Thanks.

US Gear Brakes

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
ArchHoagland wrote:

I'd suggest you go to the DMV where you plan on registering it and ask them.

If you go to the DMV, make sure whatever they tell you is verified by something in writing.
Otherwise, each DMV employee you talk to will give you a different answer.

Check the dmv website. They have a 2 page document that explains what you can and cannot bring into the state.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a new car in Arizona and brought it home to California, called DMV and they said if it didn't have the Emissions sticker I had 24 hours to get it out of the state.

That was back in 2005. Mine had the sticker so I was OK.

I'd suggest you go to the DMV where you plan on registering it and ask them.

US Gear Brakes

Nv_Guy
Explorer III
Explorer III
If it's used with over 7,500 miles you should be able to get it smogged but the federal standards apply. You never know, it may have been built with CA emissions standards. Biggest issue is make sure you get a properly signed title & all the VIN numbers match (ID plate, registration, title), as you are going to get VIN verified by CHP or licensed verifier. You do not want to try to straighten out title issues across the country.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Class A forum from 5th Wheels.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Found this, hope it helps. Sounds like smog and proof of insurance.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk