cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do you guys carry bicycles inside?

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
I'd like to fashion a bike rack to carry my bikes. I have four different bikes with tires from 23mm wide to 4.8 inches, which is a challenge. What do you all use? I'm hoping for something that will be long lasting and secure; bikes are the reason I bought my toy hauler.
37 REPLIES 37

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
ajriding wrote:
I have a $12,000 plus other bikes that are about half that value. Is why I have RV too.

With toy hauler I assume you have that garage area to utilize.
If you can mount them to the wall using fork mounts this is the best way, it keeps them off the floor, freeing up that space too. There are special mounting boards made for this, or you can use a 3/4 inch board along the wall and use that as the base for the fork mounts. I have used Unistrut on the wall in my trailer. Unistrut is great, it makes the fork mounts adjustable, and you can mount a lot of things into Unistrut. Unistrut is common across the nation and world. You can get an aluminum version also.
You mount the fork mount at an angle so the flat handlebars will be staggered and not touch. Road bars complicate things.

In a camper once, I just bolted the fork mount directly to the floor.

Use a strap or velcro strap to tie the front wheel to the bike.

Some of the demo bike trucks or trailers will just use moving blankets and stack the bikes leaning on each other. This is safe and much quicker than removing wheels and mounting forks.

The best method is the fork mount though.

You didn't read the post. I don't and didn't ever want to remove wheels from bikes. Nobody is strapping a front wheel to a carbon fiber frame, that is a good way to remove the paint and maybe damage the carbon even deeper than that.

I would have been happy to pay a thousand dollars for an efficient way to mount bicycles, but I never found anything I liked. My bikes are worth more than my 5th wheel, so it's very important to me that they are well protected during the trip.

lamopar
Explorer
Explorer
Odd seeing this today as we had the same problem a few years ago. I think my answer was much easier there is nothing to move in and out. We simply use the tie downs in the floor and one strap on each end of the handle bar just like we do with the dirt bikes in the bak of the truck. I butted the front wheel up against the back door and three bikes fit there with the tie downs. The other two bikes I butted up against the wall. Never had a problem and the bikes don't move.

We have done the same with ATVs in the trailer and just used the ATVs as tie down points or as one side. We just slightly compress the front shocks and it holds fine.

Just an idea.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
I have a $12,000 plus other bikes that are about half that value. Is why I have RV too.

With toy hauler I assume you have that garage area to utilize.
If you can mount them to the wall using fork mounts this is the best way, it keeps them off the floor, freeing up that space too. There are special mounting boards made for this, or you can use a 3/4 inch board along the wall and use that as the base for the fork mounts. I have used Unistrut on the wall in my trailer. Unistrut is great, it makes the fork mounts adjustable, and you can mount a lot of things into Unistrut. Unistrut is common across the nation and world. You can get an aluminum version also.
You mount the fork mount at an angle so the flat handlebars will be staggered and not touch. Road bars complicate things.

In a camper once, I just bolted the fork mount directly to the floor.

Use a strap or velcro strap to tie the front wheel to the bike.

Some of the demo bike trucks or trailers will just use moving blankets and stack the bikes leaning on each other. This is safe and much quicker than removing wheels and mounting forks.

The best method is the fork mount though.

Kevinwa
Explorer
Explorer
This is what I was going to suggest, was just struggling with how to describe it without pictures. Looks awesome!

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
I made this today. I couldn't find anything cost effective so this is what it will be for now! It fits all of my bikes and my friend's bikes just nicely.

Mod Edit: Set photo width to 800 pixels.

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I meant mount to the floor of the camper, not to the vehicle. I have my on the bottom of the dinette seats. I drop the table, flip the bench boards over and attach the bike's. It's kind if a pain getting the bikes in a TT but it keeps them out of the elements. The kids cheapo bikes go on the roof of my truck then.

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
RoyBell wrote:
It may not be as cheap of an option, but I would opt for building a "roof rack" and getting some rooftop bike racks that let you leave the front wheel on.

You can use some 2x4s and conduit and attatch the racks to the makeshift roof rack. Fasten/strap it to the floor and you should be golden.

The potential problem with this, as the OP can attest to, is that you don't want to mount expensive bikes to roofs where they can be seen and a potential theft target. Now, if you're saying build a makeshift roof style rack that goes inside the trailer, completely different story. I've actually done that and used a PVC "2x4" fencing post with Yakima mounts on it. And that includes using a thru-axle adapter.

I've got a high end Yeti full-suspension MTB, 4" fatbike, hardtail and road bike and looking to buy a dedicated downhill MTB as well (can someone say Angel Fire!!!), none of those bikes are cheap and I'd hate to get them stolen. So finding ways to mount them inside is paramount and it also keeps road grime off them as well. Surprising how easy it is to get direct mounts to something like the PVC board as when the board is wide enough, it is not going anywhere. Take some foam and place between the rear frames of the bikes in case there is any "walking". I've done this in the bed of my truck that had a canopy on it. Same could be done inside a TH although I'd probably take motorcycle straps and secure the "lot" to avoid the trailer bouncing.

I did notice that this thread is a number of months older, someone may find useful info out of it.
I love me some land yachting

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
I have quick disconnects for fork mounts on my TT. I plan on doing something similar with my TH. I throw the front wheels under my front bed or in the bed of my truck. Neither of ours are thru-axle, but I do have hydraulic brakes...

It may not be as cheap of an option, but I would opt for building a "roof rack" and getting some rooftop bike racks that let you leave the front wheel on.

You can use some 2x4s and conduit and attatch the racks to the makeshift roof rack. Fasten/strap it to the floor and you should be golden.

Marcela
Explorer
Explorer
Look at Feedback sports website, they have some options. I use the RAKK for a couple bikes.

normal_dave
Explorer
Explorer
PVC bike rack with custom wheel width slots, determined by the pipe lengths, to suit your wheel widths. I use NRS gear straps, attached to E-track on the trailer walls, and threaded around each seat post/handlebar stem, evenly spaced, (on the end of the bikes not sitting in the rack), making a big loop, and cinching it tight. Bikes ride rock solid in the trailer.

Like posted above, when we get to camp, unload, then set it up outside for parking:
1995 Ford E-150 Club Wagon Chateau Van
2012 Cargo Trailer Conversion Camper/Hauler

dedmiston
redhooker wrote:
I bought a chain link fence top rail from Loweโ€™s. Got 2 end caps with the single bolt eye. Wrapped the caps with self adhesive foam. Cut pipe to fit between the rear happijac tracks. Pipe slips into track securely and we line up the bikes on it and tie down the two outside bikes linking the handlebars together with short straps. One long strap across the frames just ahead of the seat posts. Haul 5 bikes all different sizes like that no problem. Pipe lays on floor in beaver tail against the patio doors when not in use.

We need pics or it didn't happen.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

redhooker
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a chain link fence top rail from Loweโ€™s. Got 2 end caps with the single bolt eye. Wrapped the caps with self adhesive foam. Cut pipe to fit between the rear happijac tracks. Pipe slips into track securely and we line up the bikes on it and tie down the two outside bikes linking the handlebars together with short straps. One long strap across the frames just ahead of the seat posts. Haul 5 bikes all different sizes like that no problem. Pipe lays on floor in beaver tail against the patio doors when not in use.

KMLsquared
Explorer
Explorer
I just welded this up from 1/2โ€ and 3/4โ€ EMT.
2002 Doge RAM LB QC 4x4 HO 6spd
2003 Rampage 33TB
2007 CRF80F
2006 TTR50E
2004 CRF70
2002 TTR125L
2002 Banshee
1969 Baja Bug

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire Time wrote:
twodownzero wrote:
Campfire Time wrote:
Have you thought about posting this question on MTB forum? A lot of RVers are avid riders but in my case we ride state trails that are relatively flat and gravel. We have no need for expensive racing bikes. I've only ran across a couple of people with your passion in the past 10 years or so on 2 RV boards. In other words I think you are asking in the wrong place. I get it though it's important to you. I'm that way with camera equipment. What I take with me in a camera backpack on a bike ride or hike costs about the same as one of your bikes. Because that's not a common scenario for many RVers, I wouldn't get the same answer on an RV forum about how to carry or secure my camera equipment as I would on a dedicated photographer's board.

I hope you find a solution.

I did actually post it on there, but there aren't a lot of people pulling large RVs in that sphere either. Many of them prefer vans and other small vehicles so they can use them as a daily. I already had a truck and I wanted to take my friends, so I have a toyhauler. And they're set up better for boondocking anyway.

I don't have any expensive racing bikes. I generally ride "state trails" as well. When I ride gravel, I do so on a touring bike with wide tires (a mountain bike is not needed for gravel roads, although I do ride mine on them sometimes to get to the real trail). From what I can tell from reading your posts, it sounds like you have never experienced a bike shop bicycle. If you enjoy riding, you'll enjoy it a lot more on a bike that fits you and the terrain you're riding. A $2,500 trail hardtail mountain bike is really not "expensive." On any given Saturday, you could spend an entire morning or afternoon at a trailhead and never see a bicycle that inexpensive; most mountain bikers are on full suspension machines that cost $3-7,000 and if they don't own one, they rent it. Part of the reason I made this post is because while I don't have an expensive bike, I can't afford another one, so I have to try to keep mine going as long as possible.

If you've only run across a few mountain bikers in your time riding, I suggest you branch out! Out east, bike shops may cater to 50/50 mountain and road biking, but here in the west, mountain biking is extremely popular, especially in the same kinds of destinations we all go for other outdoors stuff (places like Sedona, Moab, many places in Colorado, etc.). I have been riding bicycles for about 9 years but only been riding mountain bikes for the last year or so. Even a modest, real mountain bike (that is, one with at least an air fork, hydraulic disc brakes, 1x drivetrain, modern geometry, and a dropper seatpost) is a blast to ride. Rent one and try a beginner level trail somewhere and you will be hooked.

Honestly, I'm getting too old for "real" mountain biking. $2500 is a lot of money to me to pay for a bike, for the type of biking we do. Ours were bought 5 years ago for $400 each and purchased from a bike shop. They are called mountain bikes, but I view that as a marketing term. They are far too light duty to be ridden on a real MTB trail. Touring bike with wide tires is a better description. Lots of the gravel state trails in WI have ruts that you'd get killed on with a road bike. Even the better maintained ones. We can ride the better part of the day and they are pretty comfortable. The bikes I see on the trails we ride range from $70 Walmart bikes to $10,000 custom bikes. Most bikes I see on the trails are in the $300 - $1000 range. I may decide to upgrade at some point, but my upper limit would be $1000. I just don't have a need for a $2500 mountain bike.

You're in for a huge surprise even on an $800 mountain bike these days. The longer wheelbases and slacker front ends are so much more stable over rough terrain! Check out a demo event and you can try them for free.