Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Towing weight limit
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

 > Towing weight limit

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
ferndaleflyer

everywhere

Senior Member

Joined: 03/31/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/19/19 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Way2roll I don't believe I advised anyone to do anything--I only mentioned what I have done and continue to do and what I routinely see at the racetracks I visit almost weekly. And as I said in the first post "just my thoughts".

hohenwald48

Nashville, TN

Senior Member

Joined: 07/27/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/20/19 12:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

Ductape wrote:

Get a 10k hitch installed.

there may be more to it than just changing the hitch. for one the brakes on your MH are engineered for the GVWR of the MH, not the MH plus the toad. if you decide to do this please consult with a professional who can properly advise you.


Don't toads and trailers have their own brake systems and as a result do not use any of the towing vehicle brake capacity?


When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2015 Open Range 216 RBS
2013 Nissan Armada Platinum

hohenwald48

Nashville, TN

Senior Member

Joined: 07/27/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/20/19 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Blackdiamond wrote:

I had a 2007 39' Discovery, hitch was 10,000 lbs....I am sure the frame is the same, just update the hitch and you should be good.


This is a valid point. Just because the motorhome has a 5k hitch does not mean it can ONLY have a 5k hitch. Manufacturers don't always install the beefiest hitch possible.

rk911

Wheaton IL

Senior Member

Joined: 05/30/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/20/19 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hohenwald48 wrote:

rk911 wrote:

Ductape wrote:

Get a 10k hitch installed.

there may be more to it than just changing the hitch. for one the brakes on your MH are engineered for the GVWR of the MH, not the MH plus the toad. if you decide to do this please consult with a professional who can properly advise you.


Don't toads and trailers have their own brake systems and as a result do not use any of the towing vehicle brake capacity?

sure they do. but unless there is an intentional hookup between the MH and toad the towed vehicle's brakes are not used. we've been towing our jeeps since 2003. in order to be able to activate the jeep's brakes while towing we needed to install an auxillisry brake system in the jeeps. in short when i step on the brakes in the MH i get a progressive and proportional braking of the jeep. without that aux. system the towed vehicle is just dead weight.


'73,
rich, n9dko
If Jimmy cracks corn and nobody cares then why does he keep doing it?
_________________________________
_________________________________
2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
'46 Willys CJ2A
'03 Jeep Wrangler TJ
'10 Jeep Liberty KK


hohenwald48

Nashville, TN

Senior Member

Joined: 07/27/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/20/19 08:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

hohenwald48 wrote:

rk911 wrote:

Ductape wrote:

Get a 10k hitch installed.

there may be more to it than just changing the hitch. for one the brakes on your MH are engineered for the GVWR of the MH, not the MH plus the toad. if you decide to do this please consult with a professional who can properly advise you.


Don't toads and trailers have their own brake systems and as a result do not use any of the towing vehicle brake capacity?

sure they do. but unless there is an intentional hookup between the MH and toad the towed vehicle's brakes are not used. we've been towing our jeeps since 2003. in order to be able to activate the jeep's brakes while towing we needed to install an auxillisry brake system in the jeeps. in short when i step on the brakes in the MH i get a progressive and proportional braking of the jeep. without that aux. system the towed vehicle is just dead weight.


So, a properly connected toad (trailer) will have no impact on the stopping ability of the towing vehicle. I thought you were saying that towing capacity was limited because ". . . for one the brakes on your MH are engineered for the GVWR of the MH, not the MH plus the toad." If the toad (trailer) has it's own brakes then the towing vehicles brakes don't need to be engineered for the GVWR of the MH plus the toad. Correct?

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

Senior Member

Joined: 10/16/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 02/20/19 09:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hohenwald48 wrote:


So, a properly connected toad (trailer) will have no impact on the stopping ability of the towing vehicle.

It should not.

There are several test reports that show that un-braked trailers add many feet to the stopping distance any towing vehicle.
But I've not seem any data that shows trailers with brakes do or don't effect the braking distance.

We tow our jeep a lot both with braking , and with out. I see no difference, but it only weighs 4300.


2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

majordad

carson city, nv

New Member

Joined: 08/22/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/20/19 09:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you all for your input, I have found a toyhauler that could meet our needs and is under 4000 pounds. Will update .
Thanks

majordad

carson city, nv

New Member

Joined: 08/22/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/03/19 09:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sam Spade wrote:

majordad wrote:


I am trying to find a toyhauler and they all come in at 6-7000 pounds with matching tongue weights.


That would be an enclosed trailer ?

Unless you need something HUGE, I don't think an aluminum one would be anywhere near that heavy.

Of course, part of that might be the load; what are you needing to carry ??


We still have 11 kids/disabled adults at home and I am trying to come up with a solution to avoid having to setup/tear down tents when we go camping,. We carry the additional stuff for all of us and sleeping for 6-8. I am seriously thinking about a cargo trailer conversion to a bunkhouse. This would give us the extra bed space and cargo space and allow me to stay under the 5000 pound limit.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

 > Towing weight limit
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS