cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing regulations

Mtdickinson
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of states have length regulations on trailers. Has anyone had issues while pulling a 40+ foot rig through a state that has a 40 foot max law?
2012 Ford F-350 6.7 PSD
2018 Keystone Raptor 426
28 REPLIES 28

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I believe that in CA, over forty foot are prohibited. There is a name for them like red flag or the like. Ask any CHP officer or look it up on line.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
Notice the exceptions for Interstates and primaries. They were built and maintained with federal money. With this and the full faith and credit clause in the Constitution, on the main roads it is pretty much the same everywhere, except for doubles, which kinda makes sense on the old interstates with the 25 mph on/off ramps

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
allen8106 wrote:
According to RVIA the shortest maximum truck/camper combo is 55 feet for Maryland and the District of Columbia, all other states are at least 60-82 feet for the combo.

It's always best to read the actual published law when understanding how it may or may not impact you.

Maryland's specific passage

(1) Subject to paragraph (2) of this subsection, a combination of noncommercial vehicles consisting of a power unit and a travel trailer may not exceed 65 feet in length.

(2) The combination of vehicles exceeding 55 feet but authorized under this subsection may only be operated on:

(i) Any part of the interstate system or other State system highways that are designated by the Secretary in conjunction with the U.S. Department of Transportation; or

(ii) A highway that is the shortest practical route between a designated highway and:

1. A point of origin or destination on a particular day; or

2. For a distance not to exceed 1 mile, facilities for food, fuel, repairs, or rest.

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
i can not say for every state but yes 65 feet is max for one trailer/tow combo. but commercial double tow in ca is 75 feet. rv?
just never be even 1/4, one quarter inch over that.
some states restrict wheel base length or king pin to trunion.
max fed dot legal length is 58 flat or box van.--not same as wheel base length--.
longer requires a moving permit.
but unless your are crazy and want to push it, one should never get that long with a rv and a trailer behind.
2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

js218
Explorer
Explorer
I'm right at 75' with the trailer no problems since I started 10/16, currently sitting at property I own on Lake Tahoe getting ready to head down to Baja Mexico.
2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
When I tow double I'm over length and have never worried about it. I'm betting that the officer who stops me will be more concerned about a combination being unsafe than he ever would be about the letter of the law. So far I haven't been measured.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Bedlam
At 55โ€™, it would stop many motorhomes towing a car. Iโ€™m under that with my truck camper and enclosed trailer behind it, but not by much.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Just donโ€™t toss your empty Budweiser cans out the window and youโ€™ll be fine.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
According to RVIA the shortest maximum truck/camper combo is 55 feet for Maryland and the District of Columbia, all other states are at least 60-82 feet for the combo.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Law enforcement generally needs a "moving violation" to pull you over for, such as speeding, or erratic driving, or a tail light out. That's not to say they can't or won't make something up, but length is going to be the LAST thing on the cop's mind as he watches you cruise on by.

The only thing that might change his mind is if your trailer has graphics depicting a 1:1 scale tape measure on the side, clearly showing the length of the trailer, and clearly showing that it is over legal length. In that case you did it to yourself...

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Hoppy220
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:
Hoppy220 wrote:
I couldn't see every RV manufacture blatantly violating the law by selling an illegal product.

I can! Lots of products commonly sold are illegal or improper.
Bike racks with bikes on frequently cover license plates, and thatโ€™s illegal.
A 36-foot bumper pull trailer might get hitched to a 40-foot motorhome. That ends up over-length.
RV manufacturers slap together whatever they can make money selling. Itโ€™s up to the user to do whatโ€™s right.

Poor analogies..... bike racks come with license plate relocation brackets. User is responsible for using the brackets, not the manufacturer. The 36โ€™ bumper pull is legal, the manufacturer has no control of the fact it may be hitched to a motor home, again both examples above are improper usage of a perfectly legal products.

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Hoppy220 wrote:
I couldn't see every RV manufacture blatantly violating the law by selling an illegal product.

I can! Lots of products commonly sold are illegal or improper.
Bike racks with bikes on frequently cover license plates, and thatโ€™s illegal.
A 36-foot bumper pull trailer might get hitched to a 40-foot motorhome. That ends up over-length.
RV manufacturers slap together whatever they can make money selling. Itโ€™s up to the user to do whatโ€™s right.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Hoppy220
Explorer
Explorer
Dont know how factual it is, so I definitely wouldn't use it as a defense, but..... I, at one time, had a LEO tell me that trailer length is measured from the farthest point of the tow vehicle ie rear bumper. It made sense when he said it because the longer 5th wheels are usually right at 44 feet (approx 4 feet over TV) and bumper pulls usually top out in the 36' range (add tongue and hitch). Again, dont know if its fact or not, but I couldn't see every RV manufacture blatantly violating the law by selling an illegal product.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
drsteve wrote:
Cops are generally not going to pull you over just for driving down the road and whip out a tape measure. If you happen to crash and cause serious damage/injury, they might be more inclined to look at possible noncompliance.

Probably not even then. The only time I can see it mattering is if you get yourself wedged in somewhere and can't make a corner and end up blocking a road. Then the tape may come out to question why you didn't fit.