Does it work well?
What brand/model would you suggst.
05 Hornet 275RLS
06 GMC Duramax
16 REPLIES 16

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I love our microwave convection oven. I rarely use the other oven in the motorhome. I only use the rack when I have two things in the oven at one time. The only time I use the turntable is when I use microwave.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
No reason a pan should slide off unless you aren't level. Could that be it? I used all kinds. I have a rack I used for convection which allows air to flow underneath the pan. I used a silicon pan for the cinnamon rolls. . . for pizza we place it right on the rack. I also use a pizza stone for anything that we want crunchy. Whatever you use, it does have to turn freely. If it's an oversized pan, you will have to turn off the turntable. . . otherwise I never do.

On my Fridgidaire in my Texas room, the turntable cannot be shut off. For oversized pans, there is a rack that clips to the sides of the oven. So you use that so it remains stable.

Make sure your glass plate at the bottom is properly sitting on the guides.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Whirlpool. The only time I tried to bake cookies, the pan slid off the turntable. Do you turn off the turntable? What baking pan are you using? Our oven has a raised round rack e are supposed to use for 1 level cooking ( not the nice one that is stable like a regular oven has... I want to figure out how to make this thing work. Help! Also, most of my recipes are for 9.x 13, too big for the oven.

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
Scottiemom wrote:
I did cinnamon rolls yesterday in my convection. They raised correctly and were delicious!

Dale

Very good cinnamon rolls indeed! Have a couple left for this morning...will heat them briefly, 10-14 seconds in the convection oven!
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
I did cinnamon rolls yesterday in my convection. They raised correctly and were delicious!

Dale
Dale Pace

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Love my micro/convection. I had never had one before and when we became full-time it was the only oven I had. I have fixed anything and everything possible in it and all turns out.

For the person who's baked goods do not rise --- is your leavening agent old or the mix you are using old/past date?

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
The things that I try to bake in the convection oven don't rise, what's up with that?

Deb, (DW), has no problem with rising. might want to get an oven thermometer and check the temp.
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
Iโ€™ve had zero luck with the convection side of the microwave. Unless youโ€™ve used convection before, it seems to me that it will take a lot of experimenting to figure it out.

Only thing you need to "figure out" is temperature and time on our Convection Microwave.

When we upgraded our rig it came with a GE Profile convection microwave. Easy to use, Select Convection bake, enter temp. then press start. When desired time is reached the microwave beeps. Put food in and set time.....That's it.
Our convection has whats called an Offset. You enter standard temp/time and the offset makes the adjustment for Convection cooking.

Have not used the gas oven for 4 years
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Been using the same Sharp Carousel combo unit for 18 years.

After saying this, it will probably break next week

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
The things that I try to bake in the convection oven don't rise, what's up with that?
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
When we bought our fulltiming rig 14 years ago, it only had a convection microwave. I didn't think we would survive.

Here's the scoop. A convection oven is a regular electric oven with a fan. That's it folks. Because the fan circulates the hot air around the food, it may not take as much time to cook as the other. And you just have to become familiar with your oven. With mine, I set the dish for the minimum time. If it says 30-35 minutes, I use 30. That's it. . . comes out perfect every time. Nothing to fear. It is a REGULAR ELECTRIC OVEN WITH A FAN.

It's the oven bakeries have used forever because it bakes cakes more evenly, etc.

The only time I wait a little longer to preheat is if it is 400 degrees plus. Sometimes, I use 375 if I don't want to wait for preheat. . . like if I'm heating up french fries or something like that.

The other thing I learned early on. . . If the oven is hot from baking something and I have something else to zap in the microwave, you can't use paper or plastic because it's too hot. So I bought a couple silicone pans. That way if I have a side dish to heat up after my oven dish is done, I drop the food in the silicone and zap away. Perfect solution!

While I thought initially I had to have an RV oven, I do not miss it. The ones I had used were far less efficient and always burned stuff. Love my convection.

Dale
Dale Pace

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Panasonic microwave/convection oven and it works great. Cooked a 13.5 pound turkey in it for Thanksgiving. Mine comes up to temp quickly.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

Sea_Six
Explorer
Explorer
I love my micro/convection combo. I use both every day.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
Iโ€™ve had zero luck with the convection side of the microwave. Unless youโ€™ve used convection before, it seems to me that it will take a lot of experimenting to figure it out.

If it's all you have and your fulltime you read all you can about cooking with convection then find some simple recipes. The one thing I don't care for is how long it takes it to get up to temp.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu