cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

PD 52 transfer switch hum normal?

MarkieBob
Explorer
Explorer
My pd52 hums pretty loud. How loud is too loud? Wrap in insulation?
2011 Holiday Rambler Vacationer Class A
2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara toad.
2006 Ford F350 PSD 6.0 4x4
1990 18' Seaswirl boat
23 REPLIES 23

MarkieBob
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE: Sorry--been offline for some time. Major RV trip taken. Transfer switch hums "quietly". I can't hear it at all inside the rig now. Only if I open the door and listen. So I'm happy with it--I guess
1990 18' Seaswirl boat

MarkieBob
Explorer
Explorer
crawford wrote:
I'll say it again they do hum. Now don't keep chasing you tail find a few other units while camping which have a transfer switch ask them if you can have a listen ,I bet you most or all will say please do.I had mine for 15 years and sold it that way. My new A class has a manual plug in and out no noise with that.

Take a look at the Progressive Dynamics website and call up the
PD52DCS. Their big push is that this one does NOT hum. And they told me that when I called. The new one should be here tomorrow. Installed May 7. Update then.
1990 18' Seaswirl boat

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
I'll say it again they do hum. Now don't keep chasing you tail find a few other units while camping which have a transfer switch ask them if you can have a listen ,I bet you most or all will say please do.I had mine for 15 years and sold it that way. My new A class has a manual plug in and out no noise with that.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Only possibility would be high or more likely low voltage. It is possible that a poor connection or missing ground to residential power.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

MarkieBob
Explorer
Explorer
4/17 second update. My pd52dcs transfer switch is noisy! They will send a new one. CW EMPLOYEE Thought it was my power source at home! Can that be true?
1990 18' Seaswirl boat

MarkieBob
Explorer
Explorer
3/19 update: my batteries failed to keep a full charge with the old transfer switch. Of the four lights on the panel it always dropped to three quickly then two and finally one light. NOW with the new transfer switch itโ€™s not only quieter but the four status lights stay onโ€”day after day! Not sure why. In both cases the mh was unused. Perhaps the old transfer switch drew power out of the batteries just sitting?
1990 18' Seaswirl boat

MarkieBob
Explorer
Explorer
MarkieBob wrote:
CW corrected the issue. A technician with 20 years experience fixed it. It does hum but tolerableโ€”unlike the pd52. So weโ€™ll see how it goes.....

A constant low volume hum. We'll see how it goes over time
1990 18' Seaswirl boat

MarkieBob
Explorer
Explorer
MarkieBob wrote:
CW corrected the issue. A technician with 20 years experience fixed it. It does hum but tolerableโ€”unlike the pd52. So weโ€™ll see how it goes.....

A constant low volume hum. We'll see how it goes over time
1990 18' Seaswirl boat

MarkieBob
Explorer
Explorer
1990 18' Seaswirl boat

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
MarkieBob wrote:
enblethen wrote:
Check for loose connections.
Think about replacement as it will fail when you need it the most.

I tightened connections. No change

Is there a better model available?

Tightening wire connections, only insures a good connection that won't get hot and cause crystallization of the wires and other current delivery problems.
Pull the relay contactors themselves and use emery cloth and a small file for cleaning the contacts and where the coils make contact, as well.
Had to believe they're all making noise or that they all are bad.
Check the little springs on the arms, while you're at it.
You can always replace one with a like model, if really faulty.
With re-reading the thread, it seems that the deed has been done, so you might as well ask for the old one back for having a looksee and for having a spare, if needed.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
they all hum your new one is newer so hum is lower and because they put more sound board around it you older one did not. I guess spending the money make you more secure great happy camping.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

MarkieBob
Explorer
Explorer
:MNew pd52dcs does hum also but half as loud. CW installed wrong. I canโ€™t get my electric cord out
1990 18' Seaswirl boat

MarkieBob
Explorer
Explorer
MarkieBob wrote:
garyemunson wrote:
I understand they are. The DC conversion is all internal. You might want to go to their website and submit a question. I've had to clean relays about every 3 years on our last 2 RVs. After a while you get good at it. It's dusty here out West.

Thanks Gary. I did call PD and he said the DCS will transfer over easily. Main difference is the size of the box.

UPDATE: MH is sitting at camping world now getting the transfer switch installed. I'll let you know how it works:)
1990 18' Seaswirl boat

MarkieBob
Explorer
Explorer
garyemunson wrote:
I understand they are. The DC conversion is all internal. You might want to go to their website and submit a question. I've had to clean relays about every 3 years on our last 2 RVs. After a while you get good at it. It's dusty here out West.

Thanks Gary. I did call PD and he said the DCS will transfer over easily. Main difference is the size of the box.
1990 18' Seaswirl boat