Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thinking of buying a 2019 Jayco Eagle HT 28.5RSTS

solman
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All,
What is the consensus on the Jaco 5th wheel trailers. My wife and I had looked at several models of Jayco and we liked the model in the title. I have a Ford 2011 F250 6.2 gas engine and I know this will not exceed my towing capacity. I will need to buy a 5th wheel hitch as my current trailer is a tow behind. Not sure which to buy I guess I will have to do my research. Advertised pin weight is 1395 with a GWR of 10995 lbs.
Anything to beware of?
Paper price is $60,000 and I was offered a price of $44,500. I know the white sheet prices are almost a made up number these days but thought to ask the great members we have here and get some feedback on price and quality
Thanks,
Solman
2011 F-250 6.2L 4x4 3.73 8'bed
2020 Keystone Cougar 5er 315RLS
pullrite 16k hitch
12 REPLIES 12

loboclone
Explorer
Explorer
We own a Jayco 2015 5 ver, wished we had keep looking. The design of using a Schwintech slide is a joke, after 3 failures of the system in 3 years is more than one can take. You will get also an Lippert leveling that is electric instead of Hydraulic....buyer beware. Fit and finish at delivery was terrible, carry screws with you will need it. The 2 year warranty is a sales tool nothing more, our first year of ownership it spent 7 months out of 12 waiting for parts and repairs. You will need that 2 years just to get it fixed.
2015 F-450 CC 440 HP 19.5 DRW. 26,500 Resse FW
Jayco Sesimic 4212 Toy Hauler
Oreion Sandreeper-Street Legal and tilted for the on road
480 Watts ZAMP 3 panel US made Solar system-Smart Glass panels

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
solman wrote:
Hello All,
What is the consensus on the Jaco 5th wheel trailers. My wife and I had looked at several models of Jayco and we liked the model in the title. I have a Ford 2011 F250 6.2 gas engine and I know this will not exceed my towing capacity. I will need to buy a 5th wheel hitch as my current trailer is a tow behind. Not sure which to buy I guess I will have to do my research. Advertised pin weight is 1395 with a GWR of 10995 lbs.
Anything to beware of?
Paper price is $60,000 and I was offered a price of $44,500. I know the white sheet prices are almost a made up number these days but thought to ask the great members we have here and get some feedback on price and quality
Thanks,

I looked, hard, at the Eagle HT FWs for a couple years. There were a couple main things that put them solidly #2 on my list (and one BIG issue that knocked it right off =her= list). First, the CCC was less than the similar KZ I was looking at. Second, since we do a bit of dry camping, the stingy 38 gal black tanks on all the HTs at that time, made it much less desirable. Took the wife to look at the Jayco I had in mind (275RLTS), and her first question was, "where's the pantry?" Ooops. Missed that one, so, right off the list. I was never able to find the similar KZ model (D284RLT) to compare but found the one we now have on a "just take a look at it" basis, and she loved it, so we bought it. The KZ I had in mind had more fresh, grey and, especially, almost double the black capacity.

All this said, if you do any dry camping with kids/grandkids/others who might want to use your facilities, you'll be lucky to get 3-4 days in the black tank before it fills up. If you =never= dry camp, then that's not an issue. Same with CCC, you need to pack light with the HT models.

Overall, I feel that the Jayco and KZ models I was looking at, were otherwise pretty comparable. Both offer 2 year warranties, but with =lots= of exemptions.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

solman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all who posted.
I will look into Grand Designs as well as it seems to get favorable reviews.
Solman
2011 F-250 6.2L 4x4 3.73 8'bed
2020 Keystone Cougar 5er 315RLS
pullrite 16k hitch

robrose1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a 2004 Jayco. Well built and never had an issue with it.
Rob and Rose
2013 Winnebago Lite Five 29FWRLS
2006 GMC DURAMAX/ALLISON

ipeltier
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a new 2017 Jayco Eagle HT 28.5 RSTS a couple of years ago, and for the most part, we are satisfied with it. We really like the layout and tow ability (Ford 250). Also, the two year warranty is good. That said, we have had some minor issues with it--leaking kitchen tap, some loose screws which my husband tightened, a wonky bedroom slide, etc. Our dealer is excellent and took care of all the problems. Our last Jayco was a 2008 Superlite, which we also liked. Jayco was sold to Thor, I believe, and the quality control is not as good, but I think most rv's are similar.

texasjayco
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2019 Jayco is nowhere near the same quality that our 2008 was, but I still believe they are slightly above most of the other mfgs, and I have no huge complaints about my Pinnacle. Just the lack of attention to details.

As stated, they ALL have issues as I also believe the entire industry has lost the craftsmanship edge. RVs are selling at a record pace, so they have to pump them out as fast as possible.

Mark
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS
2022 Ford F-450 Limited Diesel Dually

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Another good reason to buy from a dealer who will support you when warranty or other repairs are needed. I'd pay a little more for that comfort level.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Jayco Northpoint. We like it very much. We did have some issues that were covered under warranty with no problems what so ever. Jayco does over a 2 year warranty which is better then a lot of others.

All manufacturers have their issues. We have a friend that purchased a Grand Design they too had issues right off that bat. The good thing is if the Manufacturer stand behinds their product.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

in5r
Explorer
Explorer
We like ours and tow with the same.
2019 Ford F250 6.7 CC SB
2015 Jayco Eagle HT 28.5RSTS

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
If this is from a dealer, they are taking 25% off. You could approach this in a different way. You said you don't have a hitch (check your PM box), so you could counter the dealer with 42,000 and they throw in a Reese 4 way swivel head hitch and rails. Rule of thumb is 25-30% off MSRP.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco does a build and price on their site. Easy to dbl check the dealers numbers.

Rrandy
Explorer
Explorer
Solman,

Last January we bought a Jayco Eagle HT 27.5RLTS. There is a lot that we like about the RV. We really like the layout and I think the general quality of the components is pretty good.

We have been very disappointed in the quality of the workmanship when it was built.

While I was installing a battery monitor I found that the bolt attaching the negative lead from the battery to the frame was loose - that could have caused a serious problem. I also found that the positive lead from the battery to the battery switch had evidently been cut too short so they cut another piece of wire about 4 inches long and attached it to the first with a wire nut. That is a really bad idea.

The wiring behind the panels in the basement look like a rats nest. Everything works but there just doesn't seem to be any care in how things are put together.

The light over the dining table was not put together well so it all came loose, broke the glass and scattered it everywhere. CW and Jayco did replace the fixture.

If I had it to do over I probably would not buy a Jayco again. The Grand Design Reflection looks like they've got it right - but it will be more money.

I'm handy with tools so I can make most of this right - and most people probably aren't as picky as I am. It's just frustrating to spend that much money and not have the manufacturer take pride in their product.

Just my opinion and it's worth exactly what you paid for it.

BTW, we pull it with an F250 with the big gas engine and it seems to do just fine.
Randy & Barb
Jayco Eagle 5th wheel
Ford F250