cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

F-150 Diesel

4wheelingNUT__
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone on here got one of the new F-150 Powerstrokes and if so, what are you towing, and your thoughts on it?
25 REPLIES 25

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
LOL. I seriously doubt that there is much if any cross shopping between an F150 and a F350. They are significantly different vehicles with that fill different needs.

And to say that it won't sell because this site hasn't shown much interest is laughable. I would agree that it doesn't fit the needs of most here that want/need to tow heavy. But it, like all the 3.0's are designed for a positive driving experience for the non-rv towing market - which is HUGE compared to the little niche here.

There is a reason that the half ton trucks are consistently the three best selling vehicles in the US. And it has very little to do with them being a towing monster.

I somewhat disagree about the cross shopping between classes. Personally, I have a 150 and it pulls my camper fine. However, in the next couple of years I plan on upgrading campers. Now that there is a new 7.3L gas coming to the HD trucks, and for the future shoppers who might be on the fence about which model to choose, then it might make them bump up a class.

Now, the vast majority of truck owners, and to a certain extent, myself included, my current truck is a primary a way to move me and my family around 95% of the time, including running to HD to pick up a few items from time to time. They probably won't have a need to move up a model.

But I'd bet if you look at more than 1/2 of the 250/350's running down the road, there's not a scratch in the bed nor a trailer at home that they tow. I just think that the way their pricing the 1/2T as close to the 3/4 & 1T's, it wouldn't be that much of a leap to move up a model. Almost every dealership in my area has almost as many of the big trucks as they do the 1/2 T's
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
parker.rowe wrote:
patperry2766 wrote:
I was playing on the Ford website and here's my take. If I was doing it right, first off you can't get the diesel in anything less than the Lariat package which starts at $46K. Then the diesel option is another $4K.

So without adding another option, your looking at MSRP of close to $50 for a 2WD SuperCrew. That is getting pretty darn close to a F250/350 territory. A buddy of mine just got a 2019 F-250 Lariat 4x4 with the 6.2L pretty loaded out for under $50 this month.

It also appears that the biggest engine you can get in the XLT package is the 5.0L V-8 and you have to be Lariat of above to get the 3.5L EcoBoost.

While I'm sure they will sell some, they're pretty proud of them so they're gonna have to start discounting them if they really want to sell more than a handful

You can get the ecoboost 3.5 all the way down to the XL trim, even with the HDPP.

I've priced it out a few times. ๐Ÿ™‚

You are correct about the diesel though. No baby diesel work trucks allowed, I guess. Unless dodge still sells the tradesman ecodiesel.

Here is was kills me when I am pricing out tow vehicles:

XL F150 CC 4wd, with eco3.5 and HDPP as only options $44,800
XL F350 CC 4wd SRW, 6.2 gas and 4.30 gears as only options $42,200
XL F350 CC 4wd DRW, 6.2 gas and 4.30 gears as only options $43,800

All work trucks, no frills. Just set up to tow well. This is why I am excited about the new HD gas engines. I don't need a big diesel for what I tow, and you can get a similar 250/350 class truck for the same or less money vs a half ton.

I guess I was having a brain fart or slow internet regarding the 3.5 EB.

The diesel for a $4K upgrade is still ridiculous, even more so in the fact that is uses a timing belt. That just flat out doesn't make sense to me. It might not be a issue for others, but the belt instead of a chain removed ALL possibility of me even being remotely interested in this engine.

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
I wasn't bashing half tons or half ton diesels. My current TV is a half ton. I'm happy there is now some competition in the half ton diesel market. The new baby diesels are putting out similar numbers to the big bad HD diesels of a few years ago.

I just thought the price comparison was interesting for those towing campers, which most of this forum is.
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ You have to consider the source here.
This group would argue that our new car that stickered for more $ than a Bighorn crew cab Cummins is a waste because itโ€™s not as capable! Some of these folks are the same ones that have $200k wrapped up in a RV setup and are preaching practicality.
Itโ€™s your money, buy whatever the ____you want.
Personally, if I could get a 1/2 ton diesel in place of my 1/2 ton gasser company truck right now, Iโ€™d gladly take it. If for no other reason than I could go an extra couple hundred miles between fill ups.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
LOL. I seriously doubt that there is much if any cross shopping between an F150 and a F350. They are significantly different vehicles with that fill different needs.

And to say that it won't sell because this site hasn't shown much interest is laughable. I would agree that it doesn't fit the needs of most here that want/need to tow heavy. But it, like all the 3.0's are designed for a positive driving experience for the non-rv towing market - which is HUGE compared to the little niche here.

There is a reason that the half ton trucks are consistently the three best selling vehicles in the US. And it has very little to do with them being a towing monster.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
romore wrote:
It is built to bring the fleet fuel enomy numbers up, not for towing.

Depends on what you're towing. 10,000+ lb tow rating. That would be good for a decent size ultra light TT.

The test reports that I have seen show the 3.0 diesel performing quite well with trailers up to 10,000lbs. But still not as well as the much less expensive 3.5l Ecoboost.

From what I read you just have to really want one to justify paying for it and from the lack of responses here it seems that not many want one that badly.

Agree, I would take the 3.5 EB over the diesel for less money regardless or what I was towing.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
mich800 wrote:
Lantley wrote:
parker.rowe wrote:
patperry2766 wrote:
I was playing on the Ford website and here's my take. If I was doing it right, first off you can't get the diesel in anything less than the Lariat package which starts at $46K. Then the diesel option is another $4K.

So without adding another option, your looking at MSRP of close to $50 for a 2WD SuperCrew. That is getting pretty darn close to a F250/350 territory. A buddy of mine just got a 2019 F-250 Lariat 4x4 with the 6.2L pretty loaded out for under $50 this month.

It also appears that the biggest engine you can get in the XLT package is the 5.0L V-8 and you have to be Lariat of above to get the 3.5L EcoBoost.

While I'm sure they will sell some, they're pretty proud of them so they're gonna have to start discounting them if they really want to sell more than a handful

You can get the ecoboost 3.5 all the way down to the XL trim, even with the HDPP.

You are correct about the diesel though. No baby diesel work trucks allowed, I guess. Unless dodge still sells the tradesman ecodiesel.

All work trucks, no frills. Just set up to tow well. This is why I am excited about the new HD gas engines. I don't need a big diesel for what I tow, and you can get a similar 250/350 class truck for the same or less money vs a half ton.

This ^^^^^ should be an eye opener for all. Especially those driving under rated trucks or those wishing they had more truck.
The prices are the same!
An F150 is the same price as a F350 Dually!:h Go Figure.
Buying the right truck is more a matter of knowledge and knowing what truck you want and need vs. cost and finances.
A similarly equipped truck will be the same price across all platforms.
Yes I know not exactly the same price but close enough!

The diesel will most likely trickle down to the lower trim levels. It is not uncommon to only option new tech in the higher trim levels to accelerate recoupment of development costs. And comparing the price for different categories of vehicles is flawed logic. You are assuming the purchase criteria for both categories is the same.

I agree the trucks have different capabilities to fill different needs but in the end the prices are relatively equal.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
parker.rowe wrote:
patperry2766 wrote:

This ^^^^^ should be an eye opener for all. Especially those driving under rated trucks or those wishing they had more truck.
The prices are the same!
Buying the right truck is more a matter of knowledge and knowing what truck you want and need vs. cost and finances.

The diesel will most likely trickle down to the lower trim levels. It is not uncommon to only option new tech in the higher trim levels to accelerate recoupment of development costs. And comparing the price for different categories of vehicles is flawed logic. You are assuming the purchase criteria for both categories is the same.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
goducks10 wrote:
romore wrote:
It is built to bring the fleet fuel enomy numbers up, not for towing.

Depends on what you're towing. 10,000+ lb tow rating. That would be good for a decent size ultra light TT.

The test reports that I have seen show the 3.0 diesel performing quite well with trailers up to 10,000lbs. But still not as well as the much less expensive 3.5l Ecoboost.

From what I read you just have to really want one to justify paying for it and from the lack of responses here it seems that not many want one that badly.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
parker.rowe wrote:
patperry2766 wrote:

I saw that when I was buying my truck 3 years ago and it held true at all trim packages. The way I see it the F150 offered ride quality, fuel economy and performance while the F350 offered better trailer towing and cargo carrying. It remains to be seen whether the EcoBoost holds up as well as the 6.2 but so far so good and it is fun to drive. I have had some life changes that makes me think that perhaps I should have bought the F350 but so far the F150 is doing well, a lot better that many here would expect it to.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
parker.rowe wrote:
patperry2766 wrote:

The prices are the same!
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
patperry2766 wrote:

2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m not a diesel guy, but not against them either. That being said, I think that they will do fine for what they are rated to tow. I think that the largest obstacle Ford will encounter is themselves on this diesel option F150. Just because they offer so many other engine choices... and so far both the ecoboost and the 5.0 have had great success. Otherwise Ram, GM and Ford are finding that niche 1/2 ton diesel market that I see is there. Itโ€™s not a large market yet, but will grow in time. Reason in my opinion is generational differences. A lot of the millineal and younger gens want fuel economy and power. I donโ€™t see them towing large campers by any means. At 46 I donโ€™t mind towing large campers, but now I just see that campers are getting larger and larger... even to big...that market will change in the future to smaller options. Manufacturers are betting on several of these variables and bringing that truck to the marketplace now. Just my thoughts guys, and honestly if I needed one I would own one.. I would prefer the GM version but Iโ€™m sure Ford will do fine as well.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.