cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hungry Valley, Gorman Ca

wiggles_n_wooff
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for opinions for family dirt biking with SXS and motorcycles.
Looking at Hungry Valley, Thoughts good and bad, please.
Also any campground recommendations. We are self-contained. Kids are younger. (No dunes)
Any other camping/riding recommendations for north of LA. First time venturing south from the Bay area.
Many thanks!
19 REPLIES 19

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
nayther wrote:
wiggles n wooffers wrote:
Nayther, you are worrying me when you said Gorman was like Hollister. We won't
go there as it has a high percentage of Poor/dangerous riders!

I was at Hollister once, MANY years ago for a Thanksgiving weekend. Long drive for us but had friends living in Prunedale at the time and they talked us into it. WAY different than our usual desert riding/camping. And similar to Gorman, where I've been for a lot of different riding/racing, etc. and on regular weekends, not holidays.

I'd really encourage you to go to the "real" desert. The closest "open" riding area for you would be Red Mountain, east/southeast of Ridgecrest. Wagon Wheel is a good staging area and not far from town in case you forgot something or need parts, etc. Weather is good through April and sometimes into May. With all the rain this year March should be spectacular for wildflowers. There's also another staging area for Red Mountain right off 395 about 5 miles south of the Ridgecrest turn off. We call it Dirt Digger camp because that club runs their race out of there. Both are short dirt roads off the pavement and good for any RV.

Pssst. Hey Nayther. Keep it down. You're giving away all the good spots. Didn't you see all the suggestions for Jawbone & Cal City? :B

True, got carried away.

Dave's right, go to Jawbone, especially on a holiday weekend, you'll love it!
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

dedmiston
nayther wrote:

I was at Hollister once, MANY years ago for a Thanksgiving weekend. Long drive for us but had friends living in Prunedale at the time and they talked us into it. WAY different than our usual desert riding/camping. And similar to Gorman, where I've been for a lot of different riding/racing, etc. and on regular weekends, not holidays.

I'd really encourage you to go to the "real" desert. The closest "open" riding area for you would be Red Mountain, east/southeast of Ridgecrest. Wagon Wheel is a good staging area and not far from town in case you forgot something or need parts, etc. Weather is good through April and sometimes into May. With all the rain this year March should be spectacular for wildflowers. There's also another staging area for Red Mountain right off 395 about 5 miles south of the Ridgecrest turn off. We call it Dirt Digger camp because that club runs their race out of there. Both are short dirt roads off the pavement and good for any RV.

Pssst. Hey Nayther. Keep it down. You're giving away all the good spots. Didn't you see all the suggestions for Jawbone & Cal City? :B

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

nayther
Explorer
Explorer

DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

wiggles_n_wooff
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to have a look at all your suggestions, Thank you very much!

wiggles_n_wooff
Explorer
Explorer

Alxcook
Explorer
Explorer
I would go to Dove Springs or Jawbone over Gorman everyday. Gorman on the weekends seems to have the uneducated off roaders. The riding is actually better in Dove Springs or Jawbone, it really isn't that further.

dedmiston
Wait, Goreman from Walnut Creek? No way. Don't do it. I live about 40 minutes from Goreman and it's not always worth the drive.

If you're coming south, head over the 58 to the 14 and check out places like Jawbone, Cal City, or Dove Springs. You'll be so much happier.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
If this is your first trip south for riding do yourself a favor and hit the desert. Gorman is more like Hollister Hills, ridden both and too crowded on weekends. Jawbone, Wagon Wheel, Cal City are all good suggestions.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

mrw8i
Explorer
Explorer
This time of year, Jawbone, Cal City, Stoddard Wells, etc is a much better area to ride and not much further than Gorman.

24fb_freedom
Explorer
Explorer
Look into the Cal-city riding area. It's a little over an hour east from Gorman but lots of more riding, there's also water and dumping at the Borax Bill park.There's lots to explore around that area such as Jawbone,randsburg.You do need a $15 permit per bike but it's good for the whole season.

Orcadrvr
Explorer
Explorer
I have been going to Hungry Valley/Gorman for many years. My kids learned to ride there a long time ago.
We stopped going on weekends or holidays because of the crowds and reckless riders.
During the week, if you can get away, it is a completely different place. You might see a handful of other people, but it's a completely different experience than the weekend.
It is one of my favorite place during the week.
Weekends, I stay away.

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
Hungry Valley is a good place to camp and ride. As already said Holidays can get crowded. Also Rangers will check spark arrestors and red tags. Lots of nice open level areas to call home.

You can also check the desert. Jawbone Canyon, Spangler, Wagonwheel, Dove Springs, and many other areas for dry camping and riding.

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Gorman can be fun, just don’t go on a holiday. It gets very busy and
can be a little dangerous if your not cautious. We used to go out to Hungry valley a lot and every major holiday someone was getting air lifted out. We never had any issues or acidents but we always encounterd groups not using hand signals or flying around blind corners speeding through camp etc. No basic riding etiquette whatsoever. My girls learned to ride here and we always had a great time. If we do go which we haven’t in awhile it’s usually on a off weekend to avoid to crowds. Rain typically scares most folks away but I think it’s the best time. We used to setup at Smith fork CG inside Hungry Valley because it has a small kids riding track. Where ever you stay inside the park you will have a great time.
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker