cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outdoor Shower Door Jammed

jjjandrbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Tried to open the outdoor shower door last week when camping, but the key won't turn at all. I'm assuming that the shower head is in the way of the lock mechanism or something like that. I didn't want to force it, because, if the key broke, I wouldn't have been able to open up my storage compartments. I haven't opened it since I winterized earlier. Anyway, if you have experienced this, what did you do to solve the problem?
Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos
17 REPLIES 17

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
jjjandrbaker wrote:
You know folks, when you are dumb as mud, as I am, there are times when you have to just stand up and admit it. Yes... I am dumb as mud. All that lock on the outdoor shower needed was a little lubrication to open right up, just like prichardson and IB853347201 suggested. I could have tried that the day I had the problem. But, oh no... I had to post it here like a helpless piece of fluff from under the bed and prove to the world how dumb I am. I apologize profusely for that. However, at the same time, I am really grateful for all of you camping buddies that responded with such great advice and support.

Glad you got the problem fixed.
I think we all have those days when we miss the obvious.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
We all have our moments. Glad to hear you got it working.

jjjandrbaker
Explorer
Explorer
You know folks, when you are dumb as mud, as I am, there are times when you have to just stand up and admit it. Yes... I am dumb as mud. All that lock on the outdoor shower needed was a little lubrication to open right up, just like prichardson and IB853347201 suggested. I could have tried that the day I had the problem. But, oh no... I had to post it here like a helpless piece of fluff from under the bed and prove to the world how dumb I am. I apologize profusely for that. However, at the same time, I am really grateful for all of you camping buddies that responded with such great advice and support.
Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Did you try turning the key over? On mine I can put the key in upside down. It slides right in, but can't operate the lock. Also on one door I have to put my thumb right next to the lock and push pretty hard while I turn the key or it just won't turn.I know you said you tried that but i would definitely give it another try.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
jjjandrbaker wrote:
Tried to open the outdoor shower door last week when camping, but the key won't turn at all. I'm assuming that the shower head is in the way of the lock mechanism or something like that. I didn't want to force it, because, if the key broke, I wouldn't have been able to open up my storage compartments. I haven't opened it since I winterized earlier. Anyway, if you have experienced this, what did you do to solve the problem?

I bought a vintage camper with no keys...
I tried a CH751... Didn't work.
In desperation I went the route many locksmiths resort too.
I drilled the lock. Popped right open.
(If you do a neat job, you can open the hatch with anything you put in it...
that should get you by until you replace the locks.)
I bought several desk locks (Lowes) the same size as the compartments locks.
Installation about 15 minutes.
The Door lock is another matter...
My door lock is soaking at a locksmiths to try and remove some of the gunk from the inside. If he can he will take it apart and re-key it.

gaymeadowsman
Explorer
Explorer
My outside shower door is so flimsy I can pry it open with my truck key.
John 😛
Ted :R

in search of the next one
2010 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab LT
2015 Chevrolet Impala LT

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
Try a shot of WD40 right inside the lock. Same thing happens to me once in a while, Wd40 seems to work.
2010 Suncruiser

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
Try a little penetrating oil on the tumbler then work the key in and out.

Rangerider
Explorer
Explorer
If it's a CH 751, try a different one. I had one that would open the shower door and one that seldom opened it!
Me & the Wife
2012 Thor Hurricane 32A
Future Toad: 2008 Honda CR-V

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like a stuck tumbler. Something jamming it from the inside would probably allow some movement. Try inserting the key then tapping firmly on the cylinder while pulling the key in and out or turning.

jjjandrbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:
Sure you have the right key?? When you put the key in, will it rotate the cylinder at all??

It is definitely the right key. It goes in but will not turn at all.
Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos

jjjandrbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Boon Docker wrote:
Try pushing on the door beside the lock while turning the key.

Tried that. Also tried pulling the door forward a bit with a screwdriver. Neither worked.
Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos

jjjandrbaker
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Can you get to the back side of it in some cabinet? You could jiggle the hose and perhaps manipulate it out of the way.

I'll have to check on that. There might be access from under the bathroom sink. Thanks for the suggestion.
Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I've always replaced the locks with 1/4 turn levers.
Anyone who needs a shower that they're willing to steal it is welcome to it. 🙂