cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding the right trailer for a couple

gwandsh
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking for our first TT. Probably a used unit, under 4500# dry weight. Watching Craigslist and some FS sites, we are totally overwhelmed by the options available.
We want something that has a decent sized bathroom (no tub), and queen walk around bed. What we don't need are bunks and fold-out couches - in other words, we don't wish to sleep more than two.
Of course we have a list of features we'd like, but the purpose of this post is to ask if there are certain models that cater to folks looking for a lightweight "couples" trailer.
Advice appreciated.
Cheers
31 REPLIES 31

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have had several. If I was in the market for a TT I would want the following. A walk around bed so we don't have to climb over each other in the middle of the night. A big enough shower to move around in. Someplace to sit and read/watch tv other than a cramped dinette. I like the floorplans with a couple recliners in the rear.
B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

PaulJ2
Explorer
Explorer
Unlike many we enjoy our U shaped dinette in a slide. Wife is a puzzle freak so we eat many meals from trays set on top of a partially built puzzle.
It's on a sheet of plexiglass so can move it to outside table on a nice day.

berniedes
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Startcraft Autumn Ridge 266RKS and for us , perfect RV . To make it even better, this spring I will be replacing the couch with two small Recliners.

If I had the money , I would go for a Connect C261RB.

TheBeans
Explorer
Explorer
We went through 2 other rigs before we finally found the right one for us. Like you, we don't have others sleep indoors with us and we didn't want anything longer than 25 feet. The rig we have now is perfect for just us two. The only thing we did to make it work better for us was remove the U-shaped dinette and put a small couch (loveseat) where the dinette had been. Our TT didn't come with any other seating than the dinette but the benches were hugely uncomfortable and we rarely eat inside, so it wasn't getting used.
Wendy & Darrell
2014 Cougar Half-Ton 21RBSWE
2020 Ford F150

RicknPatti
Explorer
Explorer
We just got back in the game last night when we purchased a 2014 Coachmen Apex 239 RBS. Like you, we looked at a lot of trailers for a couple and this had everything we wanted. We were close to buying a 2019 Starcraft Launch 192 but the Apex had way more space, cabinets and the bathroom is bigger. We also liked the small slide since we have a big dog who needs 30 acres to turn around. Right now is the best time to buy (February. As the weather warms, there goes your choices and the price goes up. Good luck!
Rick, Patti, and Tucker
2014 Coachmen Apex 239 RBS
2011 Ford F150

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd suggest looking at the Winnebago Minnie line of trailers. We were very pleased with the quality of our 2014 2201DS and I prefer the color schemes of the older ones. But, I will say that when we downsized to the Minnie, we ended up missing having a comfortable couch, so I removed the dinette and replaced it with a nice Flexsteel couch.

So, I would also add that look for something with a nice couch as well as a dinette. Also consider storage space, especially if you plan to take longer trips. I see so many trailers that look great, but when you start checking for storage space for gear and clothes, there is very little. I really see a pattern of cutting cabinet space as one way of reducing weight so they can sell a larger trailer that weighs less.

Make sure to look at a lot of trailers, and when you think you've found one that will work for you, take time to make a list of what you would want to have along and then carefully think about where you would store it. For example, I've seen trailers with only one small wardrobe for clothes on hangers and that would never work for my wife and me. If you're traveling in cooler weather, you have to have a place for a couple of heavier coats and/or rain gear! But everyone is different.....so really think about what YOU need in terms of space and storage.

I'd suggest buying a good used one. That way, when you realize you want something with a few different features, you will be able to resell it without losing a bundle as you would with a new trailer.

Good luck in your search!
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

WTW
Explorer
Explorer
Ride S40T wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
Since this is your first, I would visit as many dealers as possible with large TT inventories looking at all the variations you can. And there are a lot. You really need to spend some time in multiple units of different sizes and floorplans to see what will work for you. When you narrow it down to what you like, then you can start a search for similar used units in good condition.

^^^^This. Best advice. We looked for over a year, piled through small, large, single and double axle, chatted with a host of salesmen. Some knew things, others didn't.

After poking around several dealerships, forums like this are really your best source of info going forward. The folks "living it" are not trying to sell you, just sharing good info.

Good advise, but I am not a fan of buying from dealer, they like to manipulate price and you get no more value buying from a dealer. But, visit many dealers and learn, by asking. Keep it fun.
Work/live Lakeland, FL
2016 Ram Crew 5.7 Hemi
2019 Grand Design 2150RB
Soon- empty nesting.

1ed
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to check out the Forest River Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S.

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
Our couples trailer is not everyone's cup of tea, but it meets our needs to a T, especially after making desired modifications.

Our trailer is a Jayco Jay Flight 23RB. It's the old fashioned "stick and tin" design and doesn't have a slide. Living area is about 23.5' in length, and the towing length is 27' 2". It's GVWR is 6500#.

It worked very well for us on our 8900 mile trip to the Rockies and upper great plains this past summer. We were never stumbling over each other, and it wasn't too big to get in most camping sites during our trip.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

patricks99
Explorer
Explorer
Recommend going to your local trailer dealers and look around at various sizes and configurations. We did this 7 yrs ago looking to buy a used TT, had an idea of what we “wanted” (bunkhouse) but actually went with a Fleetwood Wilderness 26rls.

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
wiskeyVI wrote:
I'm in the same boat. I'm leaning to the 25' range. I think the bunk areas if there, could come in handy for extra storage. DW doesn't want to go small, but I want something small enough to use boondocking.

We've completed 5 seasons with our Heartland North Trail 22FBS (which is a 25' box in spite of the naming). We were lucky to find it used and at a price slightly less than the cost of brand new 20' units.

One of the largest kitchens we've seen in a TT and very comfortable rear bath with a window we appreciate.

We do some boondocking with it, and lots of dry camping. We average over 50-nights a year.

Best regards,
Chris
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

jensenst
Explorer
Explorer
We sold are 37ft fifth wheel after 11 years downsized to a Flagstaff Mini Lite 25ks. We bough the trailer used has 1 slide and a Murphy bed. We really love it easy to tow. We did an 80 day trip to Alaska last year. It was perfect for us.

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
TxTwoSome wrote:
You Might Want To Check Out The Jayco 24RL

We Have The Older Version 23RLSW And For The Two Of Us Is Great.

I Think We Would Have been Hard Pressed To Find A Better Model For Just The Two Of us.

Sometimes I think the longer we camp, the move we start to realize the things we don't have to take. We no longer tow a large trailer.
We no longer take everything we own...
It's a joy to pull into a campground in something around 20' and have your choice of campsites. Simplicity pays dividends.

wireman
Explorer
Explorer
TxTwoSome wrote:
You Might Want To Check Out The Jayco 24RL

We Have The Older Version 23RLSW And For The Two Of Us Is Great.

I Think We Would Have been Hard Pressed To Find A Better Model For Just The Two Of us.

X2 Bruce, nice to see you are still turning wheels on the road with the same rig. Same here.