cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

extended warranty "extended"?

MarkieBob
Explorer
Explorer
My 7 year extended warranty just expired on my new motorhome bought February 2012. I'm curious how many of you are in or were in my position and what you did. The coach probably makes some difference. Mine is as noted in my profile, but it's a Ford v-10 chassis--just like most gassers.

We don't use it alot, although it does have 45000 miles on it. I'm real fussy on maintenance and it's kept indoors when not in use.

Should I renew it and for how long? I did explore the good sam policy. It was about 1700 a year with 500 deductible, and 900 a year with 1000 deductible. I don't want a bunch of salesmen talk. Just curious how many of you did or did not renew.
2011 Holiday Rambler Vacationer Class A
2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara toad.
2006 Ford F350 PSD 6.0 4x4
1990 18' Seaswirl boat
4 REPLIES 4

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
MarkieBob wrote:
My 7 year extended warranty just expired on my new motorhome bought February 2012. I'm curious how many of you are in or were in my position and what you did. The coach probably makes some difference. Mine is as noted in my profile, but it's a Ford v-10 chassis--just like most gassers.

We don't use it alot, although it does have 45000 miles on it. I'm real fussy on maintenance and it's kept indoors when not in use.

Should I renew it and for how long? I did explore the good sam policy. It was about 1700 a year with 500 deductible, and 900 a year with 1000 deductible. I don't want a bunch of salesmen talk. Just curious how many of you did or did not renew.

We said no, day one.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

MarkieBob
Explorer
Explorer
yeah that was my thinking too. But actually saving it monthly is easier said than done. I wonder how many actually do that?
2011 Holiday Rambler Vacationer Class A
2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara toad.
2006 Ford F350 PSD 6.0 4x4
1990 18' Seaswirl boat

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
If you think you'll need at least $2200 A year worth of work then yes otherwise save your money and more than likely you'll be ahead $1700 next year.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Unless you are getting a true "extended warranty" from the factory you bought it from, that's one thing... If it's just a warranty from some 3rd party vendor, then you better read the fine print of what is covered and what is not and what hoops you have to do to make a claim..

Most have a "pre approved" before you have any work done.. What does that mean.. Say you are on the road, break down. Need to get a repair done so you can get back home. You get that work done. Then try to submit it to your "warranty" company..... "Sorry, we can't cover that because you did not get prior approval for the work done..." Or something to that effect..

Nothing wrong with getting these kind of "warranties"... Just make sure you understand all the fine print and follow THEIR RULES...

For me, I'd just save the money you would have spent on the premium and self insure myself.. Same bet in the end..

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.