cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TT ? Camper? Fema?

eddie85
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2006 33’ Cavilar for several years now and i have to say this rig is nice for the value. We bought this ( Fema disaster) around 2012. we havent used it for camping as of yet, the first year we lived in it then its been siting in the yard ever since then. we bought the trailer for $3,800ish with taxes. after buying a few items such as a 30 amp extented extention cord ( not prebuilt), weather tie down straps, a sewage hose, and a few other small items. The trailer wasnt fully repaired or even refurbashed. they fixed a few minor issues, installed new lock and cleaned the inside super well! To be honest i havent considered the trailer for camping untill a few months ago, all lights, a/c, heating and even the refridgerator still works. The trailer has been sitting in the same spot since it arrived. Planning on getting a new battery, new propane tanks, and new tires. i know theres no blk/gray tanks so when traveling ill plan on using locations that have these type hook ups. will be using a 2018 chevy crew 5.3 2wd any suggestions what might be benifial on a small journey? Ive seen so many people talk badly about Fema campers so those mean comments and be said quitly and lets not bash someone trying to get out and about haha. Ive gotta say i grew extremly fond of this rough little gem.
5 REPLIES 5

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Black water tanks can be bought for under $200 with free shipping. I think that a decent handyman can get the tank installed for you.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

eddie85
Explorer
Explorer
what ive read its a range from 4,600lbs up to 5,000lbs so im thinking add another 1,000lbs for gear and supplys. For the weight i am going to buy a few things for truck along with a sway bar / weight distrubution system from uhaul. Black tank sounds amazing but knowing that it will be expensive to mod up the camper so that may come later, or a fabercator friend lol

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I think you will need holding tanks, especially a black tank. It's rare that a site has the right pitch for a sewer hose to just drain naturally. Using the sewer without the normal setup is likely to be a nasty headache.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
What does that thing weigh? Just wondering how well the 5.3 will do with it. Also check the hitch weight to see that it doesn't exceed your truck's hitch rating. I would definitely use a weight distribution hitch with built-in sway control, like the Equal-i-zer, but that's another 90 lbs added onto the hitch weight. Be sure to have the wheel bearings serviced, after sitting still for so long they're liable to be pitted.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
OOOOooohhhhhhh way above my pay grade but want to see how you do it.

JM2¢