cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

what gas engine? 2020 F350: 6.2 Gas or 7.3 L Gas?

LosAngeles
Explorer
Explorer
what gas engine? 2020 F350: 6.2 Gas or 7.3 L Gas?

Hi all

Any guesses as to the increase in price from the 6.2 L gasser to the 7.3 L gasser?

If it was you (and you didnโ€™t want diesel) what engine would you buy? the 6.2 L gasser or the 7.3 L gasser?

Our plan is to custom order a gasser 2020 F350 with just the options we want, and none that we donโ€™tโ€ฆ. and put a 9.5โ€™ Hallmark pop on it full time. No, we will almost never tow anything. We hate towing.

Diesel doesnโ€™t make sense for us, as it adds a ton to the cost, plus weights a *lot* more than the gas engine, so it effectively reduces our max payload.
We also like to go far, far off the beaten path, and those places often donโ€™t have diesel to sell. We dont want to worry about range ever.

I am told that our Hallmark, โ€œwetโ€ could be about 3,000 lbs, or maybe a little less (approximately) so Iโ€™ll have the F350 built with a lot of carrying capacity.

So the question comes down to: do we get the tried and true 6.2-liter gas V8, probably around 385 horsepower and 430 pound-feet of torque (current specs)
or do we spend the extra $ to get the new 7.3-liter pushrod V8.

One unknown variableโ€ฆ the new 10 speed transmission sounds niceโ€ฆ that would be nice to have. I wonder if the 6.2L gasser would even be available with the new 10 speed transmissionโ€ฆ.. Hmmmโ€ฆ

Thanksโ€ฆ. here is a copy paste of some info, from the internet:

and I quote: โ€ฆโ€The base (Super Duty) option is a carryover 6.2-liter gasoline V8, which will likely have output ratings similar to the current model's 385 horsepower and 430 pound-feet of torque.

Next up is an all-new 7.3-liter pushrod V8, claimed to be the most powerful gas engine in Super Duty history.

Finally, there's a new, third-generation 6.7-liter Power Stroke turbodiesel V8. It has a new turbo, new internals and a new 36,000-psi fueling system to deliver power; the outgoing engine was rated for 450 hp and 935 lb-ft.

Those engines now mate to a new 10-speed automatic transmission, which weighs just 3.5 pounds more than and fits into the same physical space as the outgoing six-speed. (The base 6.2-liter engine will still be offered with the six-speed on low-cost trims.)

Ford promises improved efficiency from the new transmission. In addition to the expected Tow/Haul, the 10-speed adds extra driving modes: Slippery, Deep Sand and Snow, and Eco, the last of which feels like a token effort in a heavy-duty pickup truck.โ€

~~~~~~~
61 REPLIES 61

LosAngeles
Explorer
Explorer
Crabbypatty wrote:
We have 2015 F 250 CC Short Bed with 6.2L and 6 speed. We tow a 12,000lb fifth wheel. I don't think you need the larger engine for your current application.

Happy Trails

Thanks much Crabbypatty.... very good to know.

Many people have said the same thing.... that the 6.2L gasser will be fine with our 2500 lb pop up truck trailer in the back of the F350.

thanks

LosAngeles
Explorer
Explorer
Update - so a little digging on the internetsโ€ฆ. i found that the current
6.2L V8 produces 385 HP and 430 lb.-ft. of torque,

and the new 7.3L V8 produces 430 HP and 475 lb.-ft. of torque,
according to #โ€™s just released by Ford, according to this (and a few other) websites.
https://www.motor1.com/news/362862/2020-ford-f-series-engines/

I am hoping that I can get the tried and true 6.2L gasser and the new 10 speed transmission. What I have been able to find out, so far, makes me think I will be able to. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks to everyone who has chimed in to indicate that the 6.2 L gasser will have enough HP and torque to easily move our (approx) 2,500 lb pop up truck camper (+ us and our stuff) up mountains, etc. (Camper may be more towards 3,000 lbs wet, maybe)

jaycocreek wrote:
GeoBoy wrote:
LA, you will be perfectly happy with the tried and true 6.2. I have a GMC 3500 dually with the tried and true 6 liter gasser, it carries and handles my AF 990 nicely.:D

Tried and true is the key, just like the old 460 they never should have replaced after like 30 years..No doubt,the new 7.3 gasser is going to be the engine to have a few years from now, after they work out all the bugs that a new engine has, but until then,I would stick with there popular 6.2 gasser..

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
GeoBoy wrote:
LA, you will be perfectly happy with the tried and true 6.2. I have a GMC 3500 dually with the tried and true 6 liter gasser, it carries and handles my AF 990 nicely.:D

Tried and true is the key, just like the old 460 they never should have replaced after like 30 years..No doubt,the new 7.3 gasser is going to be the engine to have a few years from now, after they work out all the bugs that a new engine has, but until then,I would stick with there popular 6.2 gasser..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
We have 2015 F 250 CC Short Bed with 6.2L and 6 speed. We two a 12,000lb fifth wheel. I don't think you need the larger engine for your current application.

Happy Trails
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II

Link address
https://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/201902/the-new-7-3-liter-v--3_800x0w.jpg

I suppose somebody should post a picture of the 7.3 engine.
Looks and sounds impressive.
My current 5.4 liter is under powered. I can manage 50 mph at 3500 rpm over the passes.
I have had to repair 2 plug blow outs with a simple NAPA kit that takes about 15 minutes to install start to finish for about 90 bucks and no special tools needed.

LosAngeles
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the great advice.

I sure do hope I can get the 2020 f350 Lariat with new 10 speed Transmission, but with the tried and true 6.2 L gasser. ๐Ÿ™‚

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
First year Detroit anything amounts to an intentional rolling test mule to finalize their R&D process...Been bit twice...

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
LosAngeles wrote:
. . . And generally - as my original post / question is all about engines - if anyone wants to debate GVWR please find a related thread or start your own. THANKS!
10-4 ๐Ÿ™‚

LosAngeles
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks much Jim.

Given the Ford warranty is (I think) 3 years bumper to bumper, and 5 years drivetrain (I would never hit any mileage limits) I would hopefully be ok with a new gas 7.3 engine.

Yeah I do want to get the 10 speed transmission, one way or another.

And generally - as my original post / question is all about engines - if anyone wants to debate GVWR please find a related thread or start your own. THANKS!

๐Ÿ™‚

otrfun wrote:
burningman wrote:
. . . Where youโ€™re being mislead is on the total GVW number. It does seem reasonable to assume thatโ€™s a real number from the engineering dept indicating what the truck is safely capable of.
But it isnโ€™t. Itโ€™s an arbitrary number slapped on so the truck fits a certain licensing classification . . .
From a purely mechanical perspective, I completely agree with you. Especially when you look at the 10,000 lb. GVWR placed on all late model 3/4-ton trucks. Does anyone really believe the Big 3 doesn't have the technology to make a 3/4-ton truck with a GVWR higher than 10,000 lbs.--lol?!

Regardless, some folks, understandably, aren't willing to take that leap of faith that common sense will play out in the event of an accident where axle ratings were met, but the GVWR may have been exceeded. What I find interesting, is that in all these years of reading these online debates about GVWR, I can't remember anyone quoting any legal precedent that established anything one way or another. Sure, there were mentions of court cases involving folks who may have been "overloaded", but no clear explanation of how the court defined being overloaded (GVWR, GCWR, RAWR, FAWR, etc). Maybe I missed it.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
burningman wrote:
. . . Where youโ€™re being mislead is on the total GVW number. It does seem reasonable to assume thatโ€™s a real number from the engineering dept indicating what the truck is safely capable of.
But it isnโ€™t. Itโ€™s an arbitrary number slapped on so the truck fits a certain licensing classification . . .
From a purely mechanical perspective, I completely agree with you. Especially when you look at the 10,000 lb. GVWR placed on all late model 3/4-ton trucks. Does anyone really believe the Big 3 doesn't have the technology to make a 3/4-ton truck with a GVWR higher than 10,000 lbs.--lol?!

Regardless, some folks, understandably, aren't willing to take that leap of faith that common sense will play out in the event of an accident where axle ratings were met, but the GVWR may have been exceeded. What I find interesting, is that in all these years of reading these online debates about GVWR, I can't remember anyone quoting any legal precedent that established anything one way or another. Sure, there were mentions of court cases involving folks who may have been "overloaded", but no clear explanation of how the court defined being overloaded (GVWR, GCWR, RAWR, FAWR, etc). Maybe I missed it.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I havenโ€™t heard if they will upgrade the tranny on the 6.2, but Iโ€™d still go 7.3. If I had to guess, they wonโ€™t change the tranny on the 6.2. In my experience, the larger displacement engine always gets really close to the same mpg empty and better under any load. It is the latest technology with the 10 speed tranny, so thatโ€™s a bonus as well. There have been many tests on Fast Lane Trucks if you are interested in knowing more about 10 speeds on the lighter trucks.

Iโ€™d look seriously at this 7.3 engine if I was shopping for a truck. My only concern is elevation, and it or the 6.2 doesnโ€™t have a turbo. The valley floor in my area is 3000 ft, and it just goes up from there.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

LosAngeles
Explorer
Explorer
so the latest news that I read (on an official Ford release) was that the 7.2 Gasser would be an extra $2,000 approx, over the tried and true 6.2L gasser.

It is not clear if I get a F350 Lariat 2020 with the 6,2L gasser what tranny i can or will get.

I am keen to know.....

will know soon.

has anyone else heard anything about this?

thanks.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
But only 1000 times.
Too bad basic information can't be in stickies.