cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Metal or fiberglass?

kilboar
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All, I'm actually new to travel trailers but have owed one for a few years.

I'm looking to upgrading from a 2005 33' Gulfstream Cavalier (FEMA) special edition:-) to something newer with a pop out. This will be a camper that I'll park and just use for bowhunting out of every 4-8 weeks in Central FL. I've got power, water and sewage set up at the camp area and just wondering if I should stick with a metal traveler or go to a Fiberglass shell in my search?

I've read the post on lighting strikes and thats making me think metal.
12 REPLIES 12

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
if you don't need it to move why not build it? kits are readily available. either do a pole barn and furnish a loft (if budget allows) or get one of those cabin kits. heck even a few sea cans.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Having owned both and having had very slight damage repaired to both skins, I would say fiberglass skins are easier to repair but they also fade worse in the sun which makes them about equal to me.

Keep the roof in good shape and you'll be fine.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
The all fiberglass trailers are commonly called eggshells. Most tend to be small (some would say VERY small), butt they have a reputation they have a reputation of remaining leak free and longer lasting than almost any other style.
Going from a big fema to a tiny Scamp, now there's an interesting thought! But I doubt molded FG is what the OP had in mind.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
The all fiberglass trailers are commonly called eggshells. Most tend to be small (some would say VERY small), butt they have a reputation they have a reputation of remaining leak free and longer lasting than almost any other style.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lightning should not be a consideration , lightning is searching for the best ground and your electric service is what it will follow . Early years of fiberglass had a big problem with separation , newer ones not so bad !

kilboar
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
kilboar wrote:
Second Chance wrote:
Have you considered a park model since you have utilities and won't be moving the trailer? You would get more space and a bit better insulation, etc.

Rob

Yes and no. I thought they were a lot more money?

What are they called?

They are called park models. They are not necessarily more expensive - they don't have holding tanks, etc. RVTrader even has a selection to search for just park models and there are some very reasonably priced ones.

Rob

Thank you.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
kilboar wrote:
Second Chance wrote:
Have you considered a park model since you have utilities and won't be moving the trailer? You would get more space and a bit better insulation, etc.

Rob

What are they called?

They are called park models. They are not necessarily more expensive - they don't have holding tanks, etc. RVTrader even has a selection to search for just park models and there are some very reasonably priced ones.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

kilboar
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:

Rob

What are they called?

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

kilboar
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, it's being parked in the woods so it will get lots of weather.

The back of my FEMA trailer had a leak we caught but not before the inside wall in the bunk separated some:-/ Also had a leak in the bathroom wall from the roof the vent and there are some carpenter ants under to entrance door now so not sure where the other leaks are:-/ But I only paid $5.500 for that camper so not real worried. Now looking to drop $15,000-$25,000 on my next one so I need to find these leaks quicker I guess.

Was think if I don't build a pole barn maybe buying a cover or putting a tarp over it when not in use?

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Can't speak to lightening strikes.....but, metal or glass doesn't matter as long as you keep it sealed up and that it doesn't leak.
^^this, water will destroy anything that not kept sealed.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Can't speak to lightening strikes.....but, metal or glass doesn't matter as long as you keep it sealed up and that it doesn't leak.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro