cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Time to get ready

hondapro
Explorer
Explorer
Punxsutawney Phil did not see his shadow and has predicted a early spring.
I can only hope he is right I am so tired of this cold.
Steve
2023 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
2022 Keystone Sprinter 32BH
B&W Companion
24 REPLIES 24

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I shouldn't brag about the weather here in Anacortes. When I got up this morning it was 35F and snowing. Now, at 15:15, it's still 35F and still snowing. It's not very heavy, but there's about 2" on the yard and maybe 1" on the street.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Walaby wrote:
Georgia's Beauregard Lee saw his shadow, so while y'all are enjoying an early spring, guess Georgia will have six more weeks of winter (grin).

Mike
I feel sorry for you having to deal with that bitter cold 60 degree weather. :B

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Georgia's Beauregard Lee saw his shadow, so while y'all are enjoying an early spring, guess Georgia will have six more weeks of winter (grin).

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
It's always seemed strange to me that people will ignore forecasts by meteorologists that have years of schooling but believe a rodent.

I think the rodent has a better track record.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well I'm not taking any chances. I removed the corner cut mattress from the RV yesterday and brought it to the mattress store to have a new mattress made. It will be ready this coming Thursday. Also ran the generator and engine for 1/2 an hour. 6 weeks to Spring or 6 more weeks of winter, either way we will be ready.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think it's the people making the predictions it's the computer programs they use, so maybe it's the programmers who are to blame

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
We're in Washington State, about 50 straight line miles from the border with Canada. For the 5th year in a row, we haven't had any snow at sea level. The overnight low temps at the moment are around 34F and daytime highs getting towards 50 degrees.

Most days are dull and overcast, but we've had quite a lot of sunny ones in the last couple of weeks. Rainfall total for January was only about half the typical amount. We're just at the northern edge of the Olympic Mountains' wind break. It's amazing to see how often the big TV weather map showing the path of the weather goes either side of our location.

On average, we get about 30 percent less rain than Seattle.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think that for centuries it has been common knowledge that sometimes animals can sense things that humans and/or their instruments cannot detect or predict.

Don't be seduced completely by science, as there are many things going on the scientists do not yet understand. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
rk911 wrote:
bid_time wrote:
jplante4 wrote:
It's always seemed strange to me that people will ignore forecasts by meteorologists that have years of schooling but believe a rodent.
People play along with the Santa Claus and Easter Bunny myth also. It's all in good nature. It's better the being an old curmudgeon.

Santa is a myth????!! :E

So is an accurate meteorological report!

Actually, a report is reality - observations collected from weather sources like airport weather stations etc. A forecast is what someone ( a meteorologist ) thinks will happen based on the models and experience. I tell my flying students a couple of things about weather.

1. Reports starts with 'R' and so does Reality. Forecasts start with 'F' and so does Fantasy

2. NWS meteorologists are government employees and as such don't get fired. If you're the worse weather person at the NWS,they probably put you on the mid shift. Take any forecast developed before 8am with a grain of salt.

Probably the best TV weather guy was Don Kent in Boston. One year he gave a talk at the skipper's meeting for the JFK Regatta the night before the race started. After a few stories, he predicted the next day's weather for us, saying that a back-door cold front would come through about 9:30 and the wind would be northeast 10-20 all day.

I was bringing the boat into the dock the next morning to load up for the race and noticed a black wind line coming down the bay The wind shifted from SW to NE and blew about 20 kts. I looked at my watch and it read 9:31.

Try that Jim Cantore.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
jplante4 wrote:

The rodent generally, is far more accurate!

The stats say 39% since the late 1800s.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Wiscampsin wrote:
D.E.Bishop wrote:
jplante4 wrote:

Maybe it is because in 2017, almost all meteorologists predicted a El Nino year for the West coast. It was very dry, very.

Maybe it's because they are taught to make predictions.

Maybe because it is like all professions, they are practicing.

I would put those little emojis at the end of my sentences but I really believe that most animals can sense things SCIENCE cannot explain.

Predictions and forecasts are 2 totally different things.

X2. our wx guys here in Chicago are pretty good and usually accurate. the groundhog thing is a fun distraction. we've been to Punxsutawney PA and saw the area where the "ceremony" is held but we were there the wrong time of year. during the rest of the year the groundhogs reside in comfort at the local library. try not to take this so seriously.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Wiscampsin
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
jplante4 wrote:

Maybe it is because in 2017, almost all meteorologists predicted a El Nino year for the West coast. It was very dry, very.

Maybe it's because they are taught to make predictions.

Maybe because it is like all professions, they are practicing.

I would put those little emojis at the end of my sentences but I really believe that most animals can sense things SCIENCE cannot explain.

Predictions and forecasts are 2 totally different things.

MrWizard
i believe in animal behavior

but his has nothing to do with what the 'rodent' wants

he knows its winter, he wants to stay in borrow
he doesn't read the calendar and stick his head out

humans invented this myth, and humans have to drag him out of the borrow,

sun shining and cold..still winter
cloudy ,, spring on the way
what BS

its wet here, raining like crazy, and winter is going to hang around for a while
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
bid_time wrote:
jplante4 wrote:
People play along with the Santa Claus and Easter Bunny myth also. It's all in good nature. It's better the being an old curmudgeon.

Not only was George Carlin a gifted comedian he was a deep thinker.

โ€œTell people there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure.โ€