cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

South Padre Island, TX

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
Thinking of wintering next year at Cameron County Parks - South Padre Island.
Anyone stayed there? How are the RV sites, nice spot? Recommendations?
2010 Suncruiser
12 REPLIES 12

Hobo2
Explorer
Explorer
X3-the entry level hotels can keep there hard beds and there free in room petting Zoo of bed bugs and scabies

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
I never noticed the horrible conditions, but that is not what I was looking for. A bad day of camping in my own rig beats a good day in an entry level hotel.

X2 - I'll take my RV over any hotel/motel regardless of where it is or how many stars it has.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I never noticed the horrible conditions, but that is not what I was looking for. A bad day of camping in my own rig beats a good day in an entry level hotel.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Thatโ€™s the lifestyle the tourism department likes to talks about. OP was about the county park. Tourism department doesnโ€™t talk about waking up to poop smell everyday drifting over the county park fence from the sewer treatment plant which is right next door, or the crumbling infrastructure of the park.

The massive potholes seem to not matter after awhile even though the rates continue to go up with promises of improvements. For 200 dollars more you can get an entry level hotel room for a month with free internet and heat close to all those bars and restaurants.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I will join the "anti" crowd on this one. I only spend a few nights a year on SPI (South Padre Island) There are already plenty of you walking the beach, watching the sun come up over the Gulf, enjoying the many fun and interesting bars and restaurants, and feeling the cool ocean breezes of Summer. Stay away.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Itโ€™s the cheapest place to enjoy the SPI lifestyle, but you get what you pay for!!!

Due to recent changes itโ€™s mostly setup for short term stays (month or two) which is a good thing since noticeable salt damage will start to become visible after a month.

Pretty much zero planned activities if youโ€™re looking to become part of a social setting this is not your park.

Staying at the northern park is like staying at Walmart but with less space, Does have partial hookups(no tv.)

Staying outside the main park entrance can be very noisy given a popular restaurantat at that location. Spring break can be a real challenge, most leave by March 5th before the park is over ran with college tenters.

Internet is not free anywhere in the park. Due to sand burrs the park isnโ€™t dog friendly.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

Joyce_in_NY
Explorer
Explorer
Andy Bowie is basically a parking lot without much space between the sites. Isla Blanca has a little more space between sites and some grass. If you look on Google Earth, you'll be able to see there's quite a difference.
Cardinal 33TSLE

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks everyone for your comments and info. And thanks to Al for the pictures. Appreciate it.
2010 Suncruiser

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
There are actually two Cameron County parks, Isla Blanca and Andy Bowie. Both will probably be full this time of year but Bowie has an overflow area for dry camping which I enjoy. Short walk to the beach, shelter, bathrooms, and grills.

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
It is windier than areas away from the beach and your RV may get salt damage from the salt air but if you like fishing, beach walking and island living with many funky bars and restaurants it may be for you. There is a trolley that runs every 30 minutes I think to all parts of the island and Port Isabel.
Some people like to stay a little ways inland and take day trips to the Island but for daily walks on the beach and fishing it is hard to beat. The park is not fancy but there have been recent upgrades.
pawatt

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
The info I'm providing may be out of date, but we stayed at Isla Blanca on South Padre Island back in December 2010. At that time it was a bit cool and windy and we were "underwhelmed" by the park, I remember it had lots of stickers to get into our and our dog's feet. We spent a week there and then moved over the nearby KOA where they had gravel sites (no stickers to speak of).

Things may have changed since then, but if you want to look at some old pictures and details, go to our website covering the trip, go to the very bottom of the page and go up from there.
There are some other nice parks on the island to the east, look at part 1 of our trip that year to see them.

Click on this link

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
I haven't stayed there but have been to Texas Trails RV Resort, 501 W Owassa Rd, Pharr, TX 78577, rvresorts.com, (956) 787-6538.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain