cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Okay, I have frozen pipes??

ENG2242
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2019 TT. Here in Missouri we've had -7 degree temps. I have taken all needed precautions to prevent freezing as I'm a full-timer. I have all accessible cabinet doors open and the furnace is cranked. I know it's frozen on the inside run. Any suggestions that I haven't covered? Also, is the newer plastic water piping less apt to crack? Thanks for any input, David
David Hartmann
2018 Bighorn 3870FB
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD 5.9
Prodigy 2
Auto-Slide Hitch
Firestone Air-Bags
16 REPLIES 16

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
DBHMEH wrote:
I have taken all needed precautions to prevent freezing as I'm a full-timer.

Apparently not, you didn't go far enough south. Freeze up was bound to happen.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Do some inspection and diagnosis. Frozen pipes typically have a certain location where the pipes were exposed to the cold, allowing ice to form. Use accessory heat in that area and observe for dripping at fittings. It is rare to have multiple locations or a total frozen condition but is possible. Pray that your bath shower piping is still serviceable. It is a bear to restore the shower location plumbing.

Good luck on the plumbing. It was -29f at our house a couple of weeks ago. I haven't even checked the trailer as the plumbing is totally serviced (winterized). I do have to dig a walkway out to it and remove snow on the solar and check battery health. I know the batteries went into that cold fully charged but they are batteries and it was monstrously cold. All of my running fleet needed a jump start in that very cold condition. We are currently checking for land in AZ, lol.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
PEX can expand when freezing without damage but the fittings will break.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
A Sprinter is not designed for 4 season use. Good luck in freezing weather.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
RV faucets have plastic parts. It's those parts that get replaced most often from cracking.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
OleManOleCan wrote:
Snip...

If you blow the lines out and fill the traps with the pink stuff, if you pour in a lot in the Freshwater tank and pump the lines until it runs out in the sinks, and toilet.
That stuff might turn slushy, but in the South, that's not a problem.

It turns slushy in the North too but also doesn't matter as the stuff does not expand when freezing like water does. ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
A small electric heater in a camper at home will keep everything from freezing.
Open any cabinets under sinks too.
When I Winterize I go overboard. The Walmart trailer antifreeze to excess. It's cheap.

If you blow the lines out and fill the traps with the pink stuff, if you pour in a lot in the Freshwater tank and pump the lines until it runs out in the sinks, and toilet.
That stuff might turn slushy, but in the South, that's not a problem.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I recommend adding tank heaters and a circulating pump if you could be caught in a similar situation in the future. Probably a pipe is in an inaccessible area. To really thaw out you need to get into a heated shop overnight. Most of these trailers are just not built to go much below 20F and even fewer (none?)to keep going below zero.

Keep the pump off and disconnected from water while it thaws out. You don't want to have any extra water damage if a break unfreezes.

Bob_Olallawa
Explorer
Explorer
Yes the pex pipe is not as apt to be damaged but any of the fittings exposed to the cold could be cracked. Shut the water off for now, and when the temps come back up plan on fixing some cracked parts.
Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
Use a fan.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Replace the return air grill on the furnace with twin window fans. That keeps some warm cabin air circulating at all times.

As for unthawing, a radiant heater may be the best--the type with tubes which glow cherry red, with a reflector. They heat the object they are pointed at, rather than heating the air.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
If your water is frozen then you might have some cracked pipes too. I had an old camper and the pipes froze one Winter. When they thawed I had water pouring all over. Be careful. It was a MH with a basement, 1988. I had a bulb in the basement to keep it warm and it worked to keep things from freezing until one night when the bulb went out. On the newer RVs they have the Furnace ducting from propane to keep the basement warm and pipes from freezing. I also keep cabinets open. On the outside, use heat tape and foam insulation. So far my 2012 5er has had no issues.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
or wait another day or so. A heat wave is coming!
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
you gotta get some hot air moving.