Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: How Hard Is It To Solo In A Class A?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> How Hard Is It To Solo In A Class A?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Gundog

Ridgefield, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/19 08:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I back my MH in by myself at home around a corner and into a covered RV car port. I marked the ground with marking paint I adjust the mirror down and back around keeping the rear tire just inside the line. You can buy white marking paint at any big box lumber yard they use it for under ground locates. You may not want to mark up a nice driveway but it marks the dirt and just goes away after a while.

2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000

BigRabbitMan

Cottage Grove, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/19 07:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobkatmsu wrote:

We have a 43' DP and tow a Jeep Wrangler. To back one in, while daunting would not be as concerning to me as trying to maneuver through traffic finding the right exit by myself, would be a much larger concern. Even with GPS, it takes two of us to get in the right lane, know the turns coming up and watch for traffic. I'm not a newbie and I know the fact that that we are over 60' long is a factor, but I can't imagine driving through a big city like Chicago or Atlanta for the first time by myself.

I have done about 50,000 miles by myself including Chicago a couple of times. Have not had an issue as of yet.

BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

Chainwright

San Antonio

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/19 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My rig is 43 ft. But when I drive it I treat it like it's a 60 ft vehicle, especially when backing it up. When it comes to my rig I'm not ashamed or embarrassed to do anything that has to do with it's safety. That's my baby. LOL. So many a times I'll get out and assess the Slab, it's dimensions and the tree limbs (if any). If people are watching, that's alright, they can watch all day. If I back into something they won't be the ones paying for the repairs which would probably be in the thousands. Anyway, the DW usually gets out and TRIES to help. I've asked her many a times to stand in certain locations, where I can see her lil 5 ft frame, but she always manages to stand right in my Blind spots, so I gave up, I just use the back up camera and again, pretend I'm driving something that is 60 ft. So far so good.

garry1p

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/19 07:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When backing in the only help I need is when to stop in line for the hookups.
Before starting I disconnect the toad, look over the site, determine where I want the RV to end up and get out as often as needed and I have no problem with anyone watching. It is easier as time goes on. Once in awhile you will run into a challenging site but most of the time it is just not a big deal.

I worry a LOT more driving through places like Atlanta or very narrow construction zones I don't worry about my driving it's the idiots that you have to watch out for.

Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> How Hard Is It To Solo In A Class A?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS