Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: How Hard Is It To Solo In A Class A?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> How Hard Is It To Solo In A Class A?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Jedidad

Cocoa Beach

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/19 08:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So I've been primarily looking at Class Cs under 26 feet mainly for the ease of driving and parking. But, I'll be full timing for a couple of years (or more) and the thought of having more living space and storage space appeals to me.

However, I'll be solo and am concerned about parking and backing by myself. The largest vehicle I've driven and backed was big Ryder box trucks but I always had someone to assist in guiding. Of course, there were no backup cameras.

Anybody here solo? Any issues? (I guess not if you're still doing it, right?)

Thanks.

Retiring in a few years. Currently learning all I can about RVs. Can't make up my mind on which RV type to get. ">

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/19 08:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jedidad wrote:

So I've been primarily looking at Class Cs under 26 feet mainly for the ease of driving and parking. But, I'll be full timing for a couple of years (or more) and the thought of having more living space and storage space appeals to me.

However, I'll be solo and am concerned about parking and backing by myself. The largest vehicle I've driven and backed was big Ryder box trucks but I always had someone to assist in guiding. Of course, there were no backup cameras.

Anybody here solo? Any issues? (I guess not if you're still doing it, right?)

Thanks.

you need 3-things...confidence that you CAN do this; humility to admit you need an extra set of eyes or help at times; practice, practice, practice...mostly thru experience.

'73,
rich, n9dko
If Jimmy cracks corn and nobody cares then why does he keep doing it?
'03 Jeep Wrangler TJ
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/19 09:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've done a fair bit solo in my 32' class C. I'm not convinced it's all that much different than a 26' unit or a 36' unit in practice in most circumstances. By that I don't mean that tight quarters are not tighter if you have a larger vehicle, but rather the general nature of the challenges doesn't really change; you have to look out for your tail swing and plan ahead similarly in each of the cases, and can't generally fit in a single parking space, and so forth.

As you probably already know, the biggest secret for parking and backing is to not be afraid to get out and look...and repeat as often as necessary. Sure, some may wonder if you're good at what you're doing, but that's much better than erasing all doubt due to failing to look.

One trick I've used on several occasions when I've arrived at a campsite when it's dark or getting dark is to deploy one or a few little collapsible LED lanterns at key spots so I have a clearly visible reference for where the rock or the edge of the fireplace is, or how far back I want to end up.

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/19 09:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"A" have back up cameras, they are better than some one yelling at ya.

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

starcraft69

northern California(State Of Jefferson)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/19 11:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom/Barb wrote:

"A" have back up cameras, they are better than some one yelling at ya.

+1 you can do it just take your time!

2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

Janss

Sedona, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/19 11:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Used to have Class C's. I actually find Class A's easier to back up due to the width being the same for the whole length...unlike on a C where the cab is narrower than the rest of the unit.

Get out and look over the site before backing up. See what's on the right, left, and behind, so you know what to look for in your side mirrors and backup camera.

When available, I choose a pull-through campsite rather than a back in.

It won't take long with practice to feel comfortable and confident.

Do you plan to tow a car? When I get to a campground, I just unhook my car, park it out of the way, go park the motorhome in the campsite, then walk back to the car to get it.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Louandsal

Arkansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/19 11:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am a solo driver also of a 41ft Class A motorhome. I have found the easiest way for me to back into a site is to use orange cones. I put 2 on each side and one at the back of the site. The cones are much easier to see in your cameras and mirrors. Takes the guess work out of backing in.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/19 11:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take your time and until you get a good feel for it, it's OK to stop every 10ft get out and make sure there is nothing you are going to hit....it's OK if you spend 10min backing into a site.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

FloridaRosebud

Melbourne

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/19 03:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Louandsal wrote:

I am a solo driver also of a 41ft Class A motorhome. I have found the easiest way for me to back into a site is to use orange cones. I put 2 on each side and one at the back of the site. The cones are much easier to see in your cameras and mirrors. Takes the guess work out of backing in.

This is a great (and simple) idea!

Al

rollindowntheroad

Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/19 04:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will also be a solo rv'er. When I retire I want to full time in motor home. Also, concerned with how every thing will be to handle when alone from backing up, setting up, tear down, etc., etc., etc.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> How Hard Is It To Solo In A Class A?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS